It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Maybe Just Paranoid
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:42 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I wanted to post this separately from my last because I hate it when things run together (my mind isn't as sharp as it used to be!)

I'm really paranoid about doing this right. What if I don't put it under my tongue precisely the right way? What if I accidentally get it too close to center instead of far enough off to the left or right, or what if I put it too far to one of the sides? What if I can't tell whether it's done dissolving or not? What if I swallow (saliva, not the actual strip) - is that really screwing up? Should I not even swallow saliva if I can't help it?

I'm not really asking these for direct answers (unless there are some I don't know of), but more to see if I'm just completely crazy with this paranoia. I so want this to go as well as it possibly can, and I'm terrified I may not place the film strip just right or something else. Those physical withdraws are just a BEAST! And it's not like I can just run out and get more - I've used one doctor and one pharmacy for ten years. Even if I were so inclined, I wouldn't even know WHERE to go to find it "on the street." When I have a bit more time I'm going to post a long intro in the "Introductions" section and tell my story there.

Anyway, I'm really hoping to lean on this forum now that I've found it, and hopefully over time after I've been on it a while and have some insight I can chip in as well.

Post subject: Follow Instructions
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:00 pm 

It is really quite simple to take your dose under the tongue. In fact, I can't even think of a way to screw it up unless your fingers are wet when you pick up the film. (obviously I've done that)

The main thing to remember is that you need to be in moderate withdrawals. You know, feeling panicky, sweating, can't think straight, etc. You don't need to be in full w/d's, just moderate. Quite simple after that. Start with one film and put it under either side of your tongue and then just forget about it. Let is dissolve on its own. Try not to talk for at least 15 minutes and that's it. Some prefer to spit out the remaining saliva but I swallow it with no problems. You will develop your own way soon enough. Just please don't take too much. Start low and work yourself up where you feel no cravings. In the beginning it is a weird drug. I couldn't describe it at the time. Just felt okay. Not great, but okay. After a week it was stable in my system and I've been on it since then.

Stop the worrying! It accomplishes nothing. Trust us, it will all be fine very soon.

R62

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:46 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks Rule, I appreciate it.

And you're right, I'm definitely worrying. And being STUPID, I know. Can you actually feel the film under your tongue and tell when it's dissolved? The last thing I need is to think it has dissolved when it really hasn't. But like you say, I guess if it hasn't after 15 minutes then I've got some serious saliva issues!!!! I just don't know what it feels like - like you can feel the lump under your tongue and then not when it's gone, or what.

LOL, I can picture me standing in front of a mirror doing this: Okay, hands dry. Okay, CAREFULLY open strip packet. Okay, hold by the EDGES only (is this necessary by the way?). Okay, hold up tongue with one hand - now let's see, okay lined up correctly, good .... alright now, wait, do I stick on the underside of the tongue or where the tongue will lay down. Oh crap, okay, on the tongue, go for it. Okay, lining up now, going in .... there, I think I got it. Wait, is that really on the side or too close to the middle? Oh no .... oh man, I hope it's touching those things they said the Suboxone goes in, capillaries or whatever, oh no, I screwed it up I just know it, crap ....

LOL, that's my mind in worry/stress OVERDRIVE!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey again,

Don't worry. You don't have to only hold it by the edges, it won't hurt you to touch it as long as your hands are dry. And as for putting it on either side, it will still dissolve fine if it's under the middle part of your tongue. The bupe is absorbed by any mucus membrane...that's a LARGE portion of your mouth. It's normal to worry about this stuff the first few times, but you really can't screw it up.

As for telling if it's dissolved. I can feel it, but if you're worried just look. I would place it under your tongue, wait for about 15 minutes before you swallow that extra saliva, then go to the mirror and look under your tongue. If you don't see any orange residue then you know it is dissolved. If you do, then just move your tongue around a bit and wait a few more minutes before you swallow again.

You will be fine.

Q

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I love your post, it made me laugh. I had the same worries and concerns when I started Suboxone, I thought I was the only one who worried about that stuff....nice to know I wasn't alone!!

Like Rule62 and Qhorse said, just make sure your hands are dry, put the film under your tongue, let it dissolve and don't worry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:10 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Using tweezers also helps make things easier, in my opinion anyway. I cut my dose in half and put a piece under each side of my tongue. The tweezers make it easy to put it exactly where you want it. I still need to use a mirror every time, even after 5 months :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah, it's pretty hard to mess it up. You could, quite literally, shove it up your butt and still get the desired result. LOL

Seriously though, just stick it under your tongue, anywhere, and let it dissolve for as long as you can. Swallow the rest. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:58 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Kitty, what a GREAT idea with the tweezers!!!! I'm going to get some (odd huh, no tweezers here at the moment) and I'll definitely use them. I wasn't planning to cut the strip in half and put half on each side. Should I do that, or just put the whole strip like I was told (see, there I go).

tinydancer, well, okay I'm gonna forego trying the butt route! LOL But you do bring something up - the saliva after it has dissolved. Should I spit or swallow? (Man I can just see the jokes on THAT one!) I've read about people doing both. I'm inclined to spit because that's gonna be a lot of saliva building up if that thing takes a long time to dissolve. But again paranoia sets in - what if I think the whole strip has dissolved and it hasn't and I accidentally swallow it? Actually I don't see that happening.

I was thinking though, while it's dissolving, if you've very careful to make sure you're only swallowing saliva, why not just do that? Like swallow a small bit of saliva while it dissolves to prevent all that buildup.

Folks, I know you're probably getting sick of the new dude here after only a couple of days, but this is all I've got. I'm sure that once I induce and stabilize on it, I'll stop being so "needy" with a bunch of dumb questions. I'm just very nervous - actually downright scared - right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:09 pm 

The spit or swallow question is a good one, even though it does make a lot of us chuckle. :)

If you start getting headaches from your suboxone you might be sensitive to the naloxone in the medication. The naloxone only enters your system if you swallow your sub-filled saliva. The buprenorphine in the suboxone can be swallowed to no effect.

In other words, if you are not getting headaches after taking your suboxone and swallowing your saliva, you can continue swallowing. If you find that you are getting headaches, it may be from swallowing the naloxone portion of your suboxone, and you might consider spitting your suboxone saliva out. Did that make sense?

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I was a swallower

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

tinydancer RULES!!! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:31 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Well, I think I'll try just swallowing it at first, and then if start spitting if that reaction starts (man, I just never thought of those two words in a sentence like that referring to ME).

Or maybe do that swallow a little at at a time and making sure I don't swallow the strip, but that's kind of scary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:40 pm 

Don't swallow before the entire strip has dissolved. I usually hold the spit in my mouth for at least 20 minutes before swallowing. After that it doesn't matter if you swallow all at once or a little at a time.

Amy