It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:57 am 
I may be stopping sub sooner than I originaly thought, I have been discusssing it with my family and showing them reasearch about methadone and they are fully supportive of me switching from suboxone over to methadone. I'm calling the clinic on monday and going to find out if they have an opening and info about how much its going to cost (wont cost as much as suboxone) and if they can get me in quickly without me being on a waiting list Im gonna stop taking sub monday for at least 48 hours and then get on the methadone. I was going to get on methadone back in july when i started sub but I decided to give sub a chance so i wouldnt be chained to a clinic but I cant take the constant cravings everyday despite being on the sub so Im finaly making the switch. Im just not ready to be off of full agonists anymore and if I'm gonna be on one its better to be on methadone maintenance in a safe environment monitored by a doctor and taking a stable dose to better my life than to keep being dissappointed with suboxone and eventually relapsing and ending up self medicating and mixing dangerous amounts of benzos and alcohol with morphine like I was doing in active addiction. Methadone was a last resort and I'm not ashamed to be making the switch even though lots of people will tell me not to but I know what Im getting into and if Im gonna have to pay a good amount of money every month for maintenance its gonna be methadone so I dont have constant cravings like with bupe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Suboxowned - Of course you should NOT be ashamed to be making the switch to methadone. You gave sub a try and it didn't work out for you the way you hoped. Now you're trying something else. No shame it that whatsoever. In fact you should be proud of yourself for continuing to try to find a way to stay out of active addiction. You, sir, have some serious determination! I sincerely hope that you have better luck with the methadone maintenance. Please do let us know what's going on. Good luck to you!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:39 am 
Suboxowned i wish you much success and i just know you will be alright with methadone. I hope you'll try to stick around the forum. It will be a good form of support as you already know. Anyways, its good that you still have the drive to live without those poisonous drugs and that you are going to any lengths to stay off drugs. I wish you much success!!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:21 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There is absolutely no shame in being a drug addict, nor is there any shame in treating your addiction with medication, regardless of the medication you select.

It's a bummer that suboxone didn't work for you. I have to admit, you are the first person I have ever heard of who has decided to switch to methadone. As long as you are being honest with yourself and your doctor/therapist/family/counselor I think that's the key.

I would caution you, however, to be very careful. As I am sure you are well aware, Methadone can be, and IS, frequently abused. Methadone was a drug that I abused heavily for a long time. I actually preferred it to heroin because of the long half-life, so as long as you are fully aware of the potentially slippery slope you are getting on, I think it will be OK.

Good luck and just because you're getting off Subs, I hope you're not going to disappear on us now? I've enjoyed your participation here and I would definitely be very interested in knowing how your transition goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:41 pm 
Thanks guys for the encouragment. I will not be leaving the forum Im gonna stick around I like this forum alot. Junkie yeah its not that suboxone didnt work for me per se its that I just cannot afford the cost of being on the correct dosage to keep cravings away. Im sure if I was able to be on 16mgs as perscribed I would probably have a lot better success but thats like $600 or more a month and I wouldnt even be able to afford to buy groceries spending that kind of money. The methadone clinic charges 300$ a month regardless if you are on 30mgs or into the hundreds of mgs its the same price either way. The switch isnt final yet I mean I still have to call the clinic and get all the information and see if they even will accept someone who has only been on bupe for the last 6 months instead of abusing full agonists. I had one relapse since then but I dont know if that will make a difference. If I go into the assessment and am honest and tell them I just cant afford the high cost of bupe and that it wasnt holding me at the dose I can afford and I'm at risk for relapse I dont see why they would have a problem with it. I mean Ive seen people who had like a 50mg day hydrocodone habit get on the clinic and bupe is stronger than hydro that so hopefully i dont run into any problems since Im only going to test dirty for buperenorphine. I just feel that methadone is my last option, I would be elated if the doctors office called and told me I was accepted to the patient assistance program and I could go back up to 16mgs but they've been pulling my leg for over 3 months now about that and its just not gonna happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:37 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

suboxOWNED - I wish you the best in you'r switch! Are you going to do the long haul on Methadone? Could you do a rapid taper off of it, since it is a different FULL AGONIST maybe you can taper without feeling to icky. Also, I took Methadone off the street when I first tried getting clean but it was too easy for me to pop a few extra and get really high. Please be careful, you know yourself more than I do so I think youll be fine. Let us know how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:29 pm 
The clinics where im from give you liquid methadone. I know a lot of others do that as well. I know when i use to take it(it was my DOC) i would take it 1 time a day an be freakin super great until the next day. When i first started taking it, i would wake up still feeling great. But over time that went away an had to take it every day but it definitely works. See, i never had a problem with taking too much. I only took between 30 and 60mg's once a day. My problem came from when i couldnt get any. I was getting it off the street so the supply was limited. The sudden withdrawal is the worst one i've ever experienced. That was the only thing i ever disliked about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:50 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Suboxowned: I am not sure if you are male or female but I wanted you to be aware that full agonist opioids like methadone will lower testosterone substantially over time. Testosterone is not really affected by sub, as long as it is lower doses, like 0.5-1.0 mg, but even on high doses sub doesn't change T levels as bad as full agonists. The problem is all opioids will lower T if they are chronically taken. The studies did show that buprenorphine doesn't lower testosterone in men but the studies didn't test longer than 3 months I don't think. I've been on sub for 3 years now, and I can confidently say if you eat right, workout, and take at most 1mg you can maintain a healthy state of homeostasis.