It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Probably Not
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:16 pm 

It's my guess that no, being on Suboxone won't show up on a background check. I'm waiting on my CCW permit to come in the mail soon although I'm not in Maryland. Reading the disqualifying questions were if I was ever in a rehab facility for addiction. And even if I was, HIPPA laws are very strict and it's doubtful it would become public knowledge.

Just do the application and see what happens. I've already registered two guns where a background check was done and I was fine.

Good Luck!

R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Sphinx,

I don't know if you will be able to get an exact answer...unfortunately it's kind of a wait and see thing. I was worried about the same thing when I got my handgun carry permit. (Our's isn't CCW as our state is an open carry state). I really think you will be fine. HIPPA protects us more than we realize, and I think the blurb about admittance to Mental Health Facilities would only apply to in-patent rehab facilities. My state had in the guidelines that you cannot be currently addicted to any substances, I would say being in a suboxone treatment program would be a definite yes in that box...but nothing showed up. I got my License about a month after my application and background check was completed, no problems at all.

Good luck, but try to relax. I know it's really hard when you are standing there in the gun store watching them make that phone call...but I'm sure it will be just fine!

Q

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Are you saying the backlog is for background checks to PURCHASE the firearm???? Wow....that's crazy. They did mine over the phone while I was standing in the gun store...took less than 5 minutes! Sounds like Maryland needs a new system to me. :D

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think there's a confusion here....the backlog is for the permit to carry, which is usually done by the state on a county level....
but the purchase of a firearm goes through the ATF, which is a Federal agency...they run you through NICS - a country-wide system to check for felonies or other reasons to deny the purchase of a firearm.
You can buy a handgun and never purchase/apply for the right to carry it (concealed/open carry)...
Two different things.
Buying any type of gun requires the ATF check, whether it's a pistol, shotgun, rifle, etc...but a permit is done for a pistol to be concealed carry, or carried openly.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jonathan,

I originally assumed that he was referring to the Permit to carry the weapon as well. But after going through the posts again, it seems as if he is saying there is a backlog for the approval just to purchase the weapon. I looked up the Maryland gun registration laws, and it looks like their laws are very different from my state (Tennessee). There is a mandated 7 day waiting period for the background checks to be processed before the person can actually take posession of the firearm. And I guess it is possible for there to be a backlog in that process. He stated in an above message that he had already received an out of state CCW permit, and the one he is waiting on is for the registration and purchase of the actual weapon. It is a bit confusing though, mostly because it is so different from what I went through. Maybe he will come and clear it up for us, although I'm afrad we haven't been very helpful in giving him a definitive answer to his question. Sorry Sphinx, but I am interested in finding out exactly what the backlog is for. Let us know if you see this.

Just for clarification - this is what I copied from About.com concerning Maryland Firearm registration.

It is unlawful for any person to sell or transfer a regulated firearm to a person whom he knows or has reasonable cause to believe:

•Is under 21.

•Has been convicted of a disqualifying crime.

•Is a fugitive from justice.

•Is a habitual drunkard.

•Is addicted to a controlled dangerous substance (habitual user).

•Suffers from a mental disorder and has a history of violent behavior against himself or another.

•Has been confined to a facility for more than 30 days for the treatment of a mental disorder.

•Is a respondent against whom a current non ex parte civil protective order has been entered under.

•If under the age of 30, has been adjudicated delinquent by a juvenile court for an act that would be a disqualifying crime if committed by an adult.

•Is visibly under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

•Is a participant in a straw purchase.

•For transactions occurring on or after January 1, 2002, has not completed a certified firearms safety training course conducted free of charge by the Police Training Commission or that meets the standards of the Police Training Commission.
Purchase of a handgun or assault weapon from a regulated firearms dealer is subject to disapproval by the Secretary of the Maryland State Police during a seven-day waiting period. The buyer must complete an application form that is sent by the dealer or law enforcement agency to the Secretary of the State Police for investigation.

The applicant is required to provide information regarding the buyer’s eligibility to purchase or possess a handgun, and a description (including a serial number) of the handgun being purchased. There is a $10 fee.

The application may be disapproved only if the purchaser is ineligible or if the information supplied is false or incomplete. If no action is taken within seven working days from the date the application is forwarded by the dealer, the handgun may be delivered to the purchaser.

Most Maryland dealers who are licensed by the Maryland State Police, however, routinely await approval from the State Police even after seven days have elapsed. In no case, may the handgun be delivered before seven days even if the application is approved earlier.

Post subject: Waiting List
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:38 pm 

Maryland sounds like California a few years ago. Cali is one tough state on guns but it hasn't made one bit of difference. I'm in Nevada and we don't like a lot of laws. To purchase a handgun here there is no waiting period. They do a background check through the state database and that takes a few minutes. Then you must register the gun with our Metro Police Dept. The wait for a concealed carry is 120 days. Yea, that's four months. They said in class that the permit goes through the FBI. Whether that's true or not I don't know. Four months is a long time to wait.

Someone in class asked if it was legal to open carry in NV. The instructor said no. Then he said that you can't be arrested for open carry because there is no law on the books. There must be a law for something to be legal or not. Trick question. I bet over 70% of residents here have a CCW. I can even carry concealed in my car w/o a CCW. They consider your vehicle is a space similar to your home and you have the right to have one there. I love our lack of gun laws here. Next time you're in Vegas, go shoot a machine gun. Several gun stores will let you. They have almost every kind of machine gun ever made. It's expensive though.

Sorry for the book. Now I want to go to the range and blast off a box or two...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow...I'm accustomed to the Alabama laws...they just had a change that went into effect at midnight, allowing people to carry to sporting events, etc..and only places not allowed are where it's publicly posted, and private property where the land owner has signs stating such...
Also, you can carry in your car without a CCW as long as it's unloaded and out of reach...

Now...I just gotta submit my paperwork to the damn parole board and get that pesky 1 non-violent felony off of my record..and I'll have guns galore.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

Post subject: The Prez
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:16 pm 

Hey Jon,

Just ask the President for a full pardon and there ya go! I truly wish it was that easy for you. Good luck getting that felony expunged. I see no reason why not.