It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: So many emotions!!!
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:57 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Good Morning Friends,
I hope this post finds everyone well today. I'm beginning day 10 of Suboxone and it truly has been life changing. I feel normal. I'm obsessing less and less about my old rituals, I have less cravings and they are getting easier to work through. I'm much more productive; Not in a high as a kite way, just a "I've got my head on straight, I finish the task at hand and move on the the next task without having to use for that extra boost" kind of way. It's amazing! I didn't think I'd ever be myself again.
With that being said, I am experiencing a full range of emotions that I guess I was numb to before. Some of that's nice, love, empathy, affection, clearer thinking, but some of it is, shall we say..... aggggggggghhh! I'm super sensitive and finding that my heart is back on my sleeve again. I'm getting my feelings hurt more easily, and feeling quite irritable with my kids and husband at times.
Did any of you experience a wave of emotions when you first started Suboxone? I'm so glad I have therapy today, I have quite a bit to discuss. Lol!

Post subject: Re: So many emotions!!!
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:54 pm 

Hey praying :)

I remember after just beginning sub, I became flooded with emotions over a custody battle with my ex. See, I was able to numb the heck out of em while using but when that stopped I became a mess. I couldn't even mention my daughter's name without crying to the point I couldn't even speak. In meetings I'd try to talk about it and would turn into a mess and they'd just have to move on lol cause I couldn't speak. I had held it in for so long that finally it came to a head immediately after I stopped using. But I can't remember if I was like that about everything or just that particular issue. I worked through it in counseling and of course the court system fighting for my rights. But what I do know is, I was overly emotional about it. I mean, when u can't even speak it's overload ya know? So I think it's normal, I did the same thing in rehab before my sub treatment.....anytime I stopped using opiates period I'd be a mess and I think lot's of ppl do the same thing.

I think it's wonderful that ur going to ur appointment, you'll get to get things out and work through them in a healthy way. Suboxone is wonderful but it's still just a tool, we gotta work on our recovery to stay healthy and I think that's what ur doing. The emotional overload, as I like to call it, will get easier. Cry, scream, stay busy, talk it out...whatever u gotta do to release it. Hope u feel a little bit better after ur appt though :)

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:59 pm 

Yes! It always baffles me when people say that suboxone dulls their emotions! Sometimes I wonder if they haven't first read a negative post about sub before they say that, and if it's even authentic!

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:22 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

It always baffles me too !! I actually have emotions now again! Lol . When I was in active addiction I felt nothing but maybe anger! That was the point though wasn't it.. complete numbness!
Prayingforpeace- isn't it great to be able to accomplish things and finish tasks that you start?!! I was just thinking about my day right before I read you post.. I worked in my new flower bed I've wanted to start for a year now , I played with my granddaughter, I did some laundry,the dishes,walked my dog and worked on some training stuff with him (I train dogs ) and started dinner. Plus spent time with my daughter and son. Now when I was using that never would of happened all in about a half a day!! So yes it's so nice to be able to actually get things done and not have to stop every hour to do another pill to get that false sense of motivation. I am so glad things are going well for you. Your emotions will get under control. I think Dr. J talks about learning to tolerate our emotions ( If someone knows the link to that post help me out please! Lol ). I like that idea. I don't have to analyze them to death or "fix" them. Just tolerate them for now. Anyway I'm just babbling on. Hope everyone is having a great day.

Willow

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I remember writing about that, but I can't find it with a search... but it seems to me that during active use we all have a very simple mission in life. It is all about one thing-- avoiding sickness. On buprenorphine, that mission suddenly goes away-- and that is unsettling. Some people feel 'empty', and others describe having no ambition. And yes--- suddenly all that anger goes away. The 'big questions' in life never appeared when we were using because we were too focused on avoiding withdrawal. But suddenly the big issues become apparent... after stealing from parents for the past couple years we suddenly wonder what they think of us. After lying to spouses, we wonder if they still trust us-- and whether they ever WILL trust us. After lying to bosses or work colleagues, we wonder if our jobs are at risk. Funny how many balls we could keep in the air at one time when we were juggling! Now it seems impossible to keep them all from falling.

I like that saying, when in a hole, the first thing is to stop digging.... and that's the goal in early recovery. The problems don't need to be reversed all at once-- but you don't want to make things worse, if that can be avoided. Most of the impulsive things that people do are the result of intense emotions; people start fights to get a response from a partner, or people quit a job rather than tolerate the insecurity of fearing getting fired... so I emphasize doing absolutely NOTHING, if possible, and instead just learning to tolerate those emotions. I have patients focus on six core emotions-- mad, glad, sad, afraid, ashamed, and hurt-- and go through them several times each day, seeing which ones best fit for how they feel. Over time, people learn that anger never travels alone; that anger is cover for a vulnerable emotion like 'hurt' or 'afraid'. And people learn that they can be happy and sad at the exact same time. Emotions are just another set of 'senses' that help us understand our world-- they don't imply the need to DO anything.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:39 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

That is so interesting Dr. Junig, I really like how you said emotions are another "sense":

"Most of the impulsive things that people do are the result of intense emotions; people start fights to get a response from a partner, or people quit a job rather than tolerate the insecurity of fearing getting fired... so I emphasize doing absolutely NOTHING, if possible, and instead just learning to tolerate those emotions. I have patients focus on six core emotions-- mad, glad, sad, afraid, ashamed, and hurt-- and go through them several times each day, seeing which ones best fit for how they feel. Over time, people learn that anger never travels alone; that anger is cover for a vulnerable emotion like 'hurt' or 'afraid'. And people learn that they can be happy and sad at the exact same time. Emotions are just another set of 'senses' that help us understand our world-- they don't imply the need to DO anything."

It's so true. So often our emotions aren't very accurate reflections of the world but of ourselves (or rather, it's always like that!). And apparently more basic emotions like anger are rooted in the reptilian part of the brain or something... which makes it an unreliable way to maneuver through the world.