It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:51 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I desperately need help & am a new member. I have spent 8 hours searching online for a definitive answer, but mostly finding outdated or contradictory info. This forum seems to have the most experienced & knowledgeable posts in regards to suboxone use with other drugs.

I have been on suboxone for 8 years to treat opiate dependency. I have tapered from 32mg to 8mg / day over the last year

I dropped pruning shears on my big toe and sliced the top almost all the way off. It was very painful and I recalled reading that Tramadol may work with Sub for acute pain. I had taken 8mg about 2hrs prior & I found some tramadol left over from my puppy's surgery last month (I know, stealing drugs from my puppy is a new low:) ). I took 62 mg & drank a big, strong margarita and felt a little better (i know not to mix alcohol but I was desperate). I was going to try and just bandage it but the pain intensified & my mom insisted I go in and get tetanus shot, so I went to a urgent care clinic. I got stiches though the toe nail & tetanus shot. I was a good little sub-gir& told the dr.I was on sub after he wrote script for Tylenol 3 (Proud of myself! What I would've given for that script 9 yrs ago....!! :)). I told him that Tramadol was the only pain med that would possibly work w/ sub so he prescribed 20 x 50mg. Anyways, even though I've taken 100mg Tramadol, but I'm still in an extreme amount of pain now that the numbnes has worn off. I was hoping it would work like it did yesterday, sans margaritas. May have been stupid, but desperate so went ahead and took 8mg sub just now about 5 hours after taking the tramadol along with 3 advils & I'm feeling some pain relief, assuming from the sub, but it's still pretty bad. I was concerned about precipitated w/d's but pain was so bad I decided to take a chance to see if the sub would help. So far, so good but not sure if taking my next Tramadol dose in 3 hrs is a good idea.

Finally, my question:

1) Has anyone had experience, or have info on, using Tramadol to manage acute pain? (I can't wait 72 hrs fit sub to wear off, pain is unbearable)
2) Does anyone know of an alternative or any new medications that might work?I have also seen references about a new drug that may be alternative to Tramadol but can't find the name again.

I'm sorry this is a long post and I will be a good forum member moving forward now that I've discovered this site & will post any info or replies based in my experience. I believe the most relevant info to me comes from sub users with real world experiences.

ANY input is greatly appreciated, even if not a first hand experience, and I thank you so much in advance! Tami

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:56 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I found the name of the other drug I referred to in my post-has anyone had experience with Nucynta ? If yes, what dosage is most effective for acute pain?