It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:02 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I've done amazingly on methadone. 14 mos and I'm already back to the Mg they started me on. But something changed, after being on 30mg for 3 weeks the last 3 doses made it IMPOSSIBLE to stay awake. I hadn't had any changes, I got an amazing job which requires a long drive and I'm NOT a morning person so getting up and extra 45 min early to get to dosing clinic wasn't in the cards for me. I get up at 5 as it is. So I knew when I got the job (2/18) I was going to be switching even before the sudden narcalipsy came about. Surprisingly, I haven't dosed since 6am Tuesday and feel relatively ok. Lots of yawning and hot/cold flashes. Anyway I am totally scared. Because I've done so good on the other and I have read umpteen million stories about this... But the doctor gives me a choice: Suboxone, Bunavil and Zubsov. What the heck is the difference in these?? Does it really matter?! I'm pretty scared anyway and now I have choices?! Great.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

They are all exactly the same as far as clinical effects, so just take the one covered by your insurance. For most people, that's Suboxone film. One carrier-- Caremark, maybe?-- requires Zubsolv. I may be wrong though-- it may be someone else. Tennessee medicaid requires Bunavail. Call your health insurer and see which med is 'on formulary'.

They are all brand products. The way to think about buprenorphine products is that you have the 'premiums'-- i.e. the ones above. Then you have 'generic suboxone', i.e. a pill that contains buprenorphine 8 mg plus naloxone 2 mg. Finally, you have 'plain buprenorphine'-- which some people mistakenly call 'Subutex'. Subutex was taken off the market several years ago, and instead we now have generic, plain buprenorphine.

All of these meds contain buprenorphine, and all of them deliver the same amount of buprenorphine to the bloodstream when taken properly-- i.e. 2 mg of buprenorphine delivered from each standard dose. In all cases the standard, most common dose is 8 mg, and 25% of the dose is absorbed... EXCEPT for Zubsolv and Bunavail. With Zubsolv, about a third of a dose gets into the bloodstream, so the standard dose is 5.7 mg. For Bunavail, about half of the dose gets into the bloodstream, so a standard dose is 4.3 mg. But again, every one of the meds delivers 2 mg into the bloodstream when you take the standard dose.

You will learn about subtle difference between the different meds. But the most important thing is to take the type covered by your insurance. Suboxone is too expensive to buy, without insurance. People with no insurance often get generic buprenorphine instead for that reason. But some docs won't prescribe plain buprenorphine, for reasons too complicated to get into right now.

For you, the goal is to see what your insurance covers out of the drugs I listed. Then after you get settled, come back and ask whatever questions you have left!!

Good luck--'

J

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:36 am 

I'm pretty sure it's United Health Care that requires zubsolv. That's my insurance company and they forced me to switch. I actually like zubsolv better now.

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:11 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I was going to go at 1 yesterday but it had been since Tuesday since I had methadone a WDs had the best if me. I was feeling pain soooo bad where I have a fractured elbow in three places. I mean bad pain. Anyway I got to work and realized I was sweating and shaking like a hostage so I bolted at 930. Went to the dr office. At first I thought he was a huge ass hole. But I was having bad WD. He had me go get my 3days worth of Bupherene or something. Under tongue. Nasty. And refurn. He hooked me up to BP monitor and I got so scared. It was 180/154 HR 120. I thought I was going to stroke out. He gave me 4mg re took it in 10 min it was down to 147/98 HR 100. I was feeling better tho. Shaking less. Sweating less. Another 6 min or so he Checkex again and it was 133/80 HR 70 still high BP for me but I wasn't scared. It was amazing witnessing the true cause and effect. It makes any non believers or people like my husband who says hes eating crow now, a believer. I felt 100% normal. By now he believed me. He had to assume I most likely lied like everyone else and had stuff in system. It was then that I felt him change and I knew I had. He turned out to not be an asshole but a reLLY kind man who actually cares. I got a thorough exam I was shocked. I mean He checked things no one has in decades. So anyway I followed his orders took the other half last night. Took one whole this am. To see if it lasts me 24 hours. My script is for the actual strips. I know they taste awful but can't be as bad as that pill dear god. Anyway the awesome news is all the bad side effects I had with the Done will be going away I'm so thrilled. I'm so thankful to no longer be tethered to that clinic. I can actually leave my city now. I couldn't be more thankful to the methadone clinic for stopping the madness the day I went in there crying and a total wreck. They saved my life I feel like. But it was time to move on. As of now there has been NO problems at all. Doc said shouldn't be any problems. When I told the Done clinic they had said I was gonna be "so sick.. Oh no I hope u don't relapse.." $$. IMO. anyways thank you guys. And I'm going to try to keep updates daily. I know people like me appreciate it. Y'all are awesome!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Glad to hear you are doing so well. It's also great to hear that your husband learned some valuable lessons as well. Now, it's time to help educate your methadone clinic. I'm serious about that. If they honestly told you that you would be sooooo sick, etc., I strongly suggest you stop be to continue their education. Don't be mean. Don't throw it in their face, but wait until later this coming week and pay them a quick visit. Tell them you are stopping by only to thank them for their help in your recovery. Let them know how well your induction went. Tell them how great you felt right away after dosing Let them see how good you look and feel. They need to see some positive examples of switching. There is no better way than with their own eyes. I really hope you will do this. Then tell us how it goes, okay?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:38 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Donh - I TOTALLY agree. I was planning on doing that exact thing. And I had 2 "friends" who worked there who truly tried to help and encourage me in my progress when others would say to slow it down. And I wanted to say bye. And also thank them. As it was them that fixed my broken pieces. But I've been told 100x I was a great example so I do want them to know I did switch and haven't yet (knock on wood) had any issues. And honestly, the Sub dr, was amazing. VERY thorough. I felt truly examined. The methadone dr--QUACK. And a jerk. Never made me feel anything other than he tried to increase my dose constantly when I didn't need it and I was ready to DECREASE it.