It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:43 am 
Quick question if i am at somewhere between 16mg and 12mg. And i suddenly want to drop it to 8mg to be more conservative of my sub use... I've heard from alot of people that it is a easy drop and you won't feel anything as far as physically withdrawing goes. Maybe just mentally i'll feel like i am shorting myself and may want more. My anxiety gets real bad and i have a prescription for ativan if my mind starts racing during this drop i will take 0.5 mg of ativan to calm the crazy anxiety i get.

Does this sound like a solid idea? I kinda think i allready know the answer to this but i just want some opinions. I will be starting this in the morning. Also how long does it take (roughly) to get stable on the dose you have dropped down to before it is okay to start dropping a few more mg's.

Of course at this point i will wanna stabilizes on 8mg for say maybe 5-6 days. Then drop to 6mg for 5-6 days. All the way down to 4mg. Then from there i will most likely ask for advice after reaching this point.

Please give me some feedback from the guys who are on a lower dose then me right now. I wanna be able to make these cuts in a semi fast manner. But at the same time i am not trying to put myself in any kind of misery while doing so. I wanna get stable and hack away a little more untill i am at a GOOD, LOW, STABLE dose. Somewhere in the 2mg range a day is my goal for now. Any help with this?

I'm very serious on getting to a lower dose and am asking for help/suggestions getting there. I wanna set a plan and make it happen. I will NOT spike my dose back up while doing this. I'm serious, i'll headbutt a brick everytime i think about spiking more during the day. It just isn't happening. The benzos are low dose. I'm prescribed low dose ativan 0.5 and i got leftover bottle of xanax 0.25. These are what i will use if i feel as though i am getting anxious about this taper. I got anxiety issues anyway and i haven't taken a benzo in months. Even though i am scripted to em and will always have them for serious on hand panic and moments where i cannot function due to be so high strung.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:18 am 

See if you can get your hands on some clonidine too. It helps with an array of symptoms.

You sound really determined and I'm sure you'll stick it through. Remember that it takes about 4 days for you to know what your body feels like after each drop. My suggestion is that you try the new dose for 4 days, and if you feels some withdrawal symptoms stay at that dose until they go away. After stabilizing for a few more days, drop again and repeat those steps. It may take a little longer, but it will be easier on your body and brain.

Btw, I was at 16 mg when I started tapering and I'm down to 2.75 mg now.

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:52 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

hey man.

If you're not in a rush because of a constrained supply, take your time and chill out. There is no rush. If it takes a year to get to 2mg, and another few years to get off (if that's what you want), then so be it. Trying to do things too quick will only lead to frustration. If you're at ~14mg now, I would say give yourself 5-6 months to get to 2 mg. I'm reasonably certain you could drop to 8 no problem with little to no effect. From there, slow down a bit. I wrote in a previous thread I had gone from 8 > 4 and 4 >2.5 and then slowed down, but that was actually incorrect. I was just flipping through it and I did have a few days where I tried going from 8 >4, but I wound up going back up to 8, then going slow... to 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2.5, 2. I just misremembered and wound up on the wrong pages basically. So yeah, don't stress and slow it down and listen to your body. Everyone is different. What worked for me might not work for you. Yeah, you might be able to go faster. But you might have to go slower too. Whenever I drop I do this..
For example, if you're going to 8 and it's not a piece of cake..

It takes willpower to make sure you're being honest with yourself and only upping your dose if you ABSOLUTELY need it. But I haven't intentionally taken more sub to try to catch a buzz one single time since inducting and starting my taper.
From there, I would say spend 2-3 weeks at each dose and drop again; whenever you feel normalized. Tapering is easy if you do it right. But you're experimenting with your own biology. Everyone is a little different. You have to find methods and tools that work best for you in decreasing your dose.

Good luck.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:10 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

16 to 8 was easy

then i went to 4 then 2 it was like

or whatever then what happen to me was i started having w/d feelin like about a month into this new drop

so i did go back up and that dose creep got me , now back up to a full 8 again.

just remember that there is some discomfort and a whole hell of alot of self control once you get under your level

congrats Amy i was starting my taper approx. the same time u were and i am glad to here you are at a low level and doing well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:10 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Hi,

You'll be fine, and prob. won't suffer much at all, if any.

You may get sore legs in morning, but as long as you can dose straight away, there should be no problem.
Your mood should stay constant, as your receptors are heavily filled at that level,\

It will probably be more of a matter, of knowing what are real symptoms, and what your fearful mind is making up.
Remember getting down to 2mg should be almost enjoyable, depending on your speed, do it over 6 months,.
Why rush? Why not givr yourself, and your mind a chance, to aclimatise?

I took 1.5 years from 10 to 2mg. And had only sore legs on waking, on occasion, which went away with dosing.
HS

I am day 19 and have little or practically no noticeable symptoms,..Just 2 hours less sleep per night at moment. But this is improving all the time.

If you are gettng stuck, just taper 1mg per jump, and then wait till you aclimatise. Do this until you get to 2mg,

Last edited by hopespring on Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:13 pm 
Thanks alot, Damn, I read through all your replies and it's nice to see i'm not fighting this alone. Nobody in my life really knows what im going through right now. This place is a gold mine of support and information for a opiate addict.

Amy- That's what i needed to hear. 4 days to stabilize. Do you really think I'll need clonodine? I would love to get my hands on some. I'm only trying to get down to 4mg kinda quick. To stabilize and set myself up with a longer amount of time to work it from there. While still be prescribed more from my doc. I'm paranoid for the future of the place i am at every month. Your under 3mg now? I'll be see you there before you know it. That's amazing.

Broseph- I literally followed this for a couple of days going from 10 and 8.. and it's work great. Today is the last day of 10 and tommorow starts 8. I seriously think that this tapering thing is a piece of cake. Well at least to 4? So far so good. But thanks for the idea. I really think i am going to dose like this everyday untill my body is down to the next dose lower.. So from eight to six.
This idea of dosing and gradually stepping down to the lower dose is perfect. And i think it's a good way to not shock your body so much just dropping a dose.

Wisharer. See the way you halfed your doses while tapering was exactly what i was going to do. But now i'm a little hesitant as i do not want to get so slow and have to go back up. I'm stubborn. Hey you made it that low though. and you know what to expect getting back there. Maybe i will not go as fast down the tapering ladder though. Thanks for the heads up!

Hopespring- Thank you for pointing out that it is almost all mental in tapering and what not. I know my mind can be my worst enemy sometimes. I like your approach that taking it slow has made it pretty painless. Well im at this point where im on the patient assistance program for 9 more months and by the time i am down to that point. I wanna be allready at like 1mg. That way when it runs out of getting free subs. I will have more then enough to get myself down to 0.5 and even lower. I will taper fast in the beginning. and towards the end.. come out victorious as i have slowed down and casually was able to walk off with as many spares as i need to make sure i don't have to pay 300 bucks again to go reinduct with a doc again.

Thanks again guys/gals, i'm doing just fine in this taper so far. Going to 8mgs tommorow for a few days and then seeing if i can get away with doing 6 mg ever other day. Going to play with the dose and beat this drug eventually!! Thanks this place has been a good place of support to me. Aswell as food for thought. See ya, later.

Post subject: Fairly Easy Drop
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:40 pm 

Hi Will,

Always remember that people tolerate Buprenorphine differently. We have so many stories going any which way that it is hard to put percentages on what will work for you. I am one of those who tolerate it very well and had no ill feelings going down from 24 to 16 and then to 8 mg's. I always gave myself two weeks to acclimate each drop. Some say longer, some say shorter. Just don't rush it.

After 8 mg's I went to 6, 4, 3, 2, 1.5, 1 mg. The only time I felt uncomfortable was trying to taper from 4 mg's straight to 2 mg's. That wasn't wise, and the people here showed me my error. Going from 4 to 2 was a 50% drop and way too much for my system to handle. Of course I need to mention that I use the film, not the tabs. Way easier to cut up into small doses.

Now going down under 1 mg I can't say as that was as far as I got.

I admire your determination.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:05 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey Will I've got no experience with tapers unfortunately, but you do have experience with my route so you know how that goes -.-.

Hopesprings thread is an absolute gold mine for tapering in my opinion. The best part about the thread is the success he's had on jumping completely. You can see how long he managed it for, and I think that's the major point of emphasis, being able to adjust over long periods of time to the progressively lower doses.

As ive learned everyone is completely different, and it may effect you completely differently than it did Hopespring, but the general consensus about how the process should go is well documented.

Since I'm rather useless on this topic, I'd rather just offer my support! You've got this buddy. You're obviously determined and that's what its going to take. You will see ups and downs even while tapering. Remind yourself its you beating this crap over time. I'm extremely confident this is your calling buddy. From everything I've seen you post its obvious where you want to be.

You'll get there, it'll seem like in no time at all.

8mg's and under here you come!

Much love buddy

WTBF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:59 am 
Hey Will I've got no experience with tapers unfortunately, but you do have experience with my route so you know how that goes -.-.

Hopesprings thread is an absolute gold mine for tapering in my opinion. The best part about the thread is the success he's had on jumping completely. You can see how long he managed it for, and I think that's the major point of emphasis, being able to adjust over long periods of time to the progressively lower doses.

As ive learned everyone is completely different, and it may effect you completely differently than it did Hopespring, but the general consensus about how the process should go is well documented.

Since I'm rather useless on this topic, I'd rather just offer my support! You've got this buddy. You're obviously determined and that's what its going to take. You will see ups and downs even while tapering. Remind yourself its you beating this crap over time. I'm extremely confident this is your calling buddy. From everything I've seen you post its obvious where you want to be.

You'll get there, it'll seem like in no time at all.

8mg's and under here you come!

Much love buddy

WTBF
\

rule-Good advice on a taper rule. I'm going to be tapering very close to your example. The only thing is i don't wanna wait two weeks in between each dose. I don't know what it is with me lately. I'm not sure why i wanna rush this so much. It's hard to explain. But i will absolutely hit the brakes when i feel as though i am going to fast. I will be right there with ya on 1 or 2mg a day! Mark my words, damnit! ; )

Hey WTBF how ya holding up? I appreciate the support man. I think i'm just getting tired of this routine. I was abusing oxycodone for 3 months after getting outta the army. Nice, huh? : ( And been on subs ever since. I feel as though this has become a different kind of habit. and it's lasted so far 3 times longer then my oxy addiction. Granted who knows where i would be now if i keep on the route im going. Just like you though. I want to be free!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:04 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I'm feeling better everyday buddy!

You're on your way to getting off the hamster wheel. One of my friends had just recently left the navy and followed a similar path. He ended up moving onto worse shit like H...So your story isnt so bad! You went and got help, that's what matters.

You'll be free before you know it man. Once you see the progress on the taper it'll motivate you. You jumped way too high from before in my opinion. I'll be keeping an eye on your progress man, I can't wait to see where you are 2 months from now. I'm sure you'll surprise yourself too.

Keep strong buddy! You'll be a success story soon enough!