It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:29 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello everyone! Some of you may remember be from my tapering down down down, almost to .125mg, etc. well that was a long time ago. Due to some unforeseen circumstances I went back up to about 1-2mg twice per day. Then about a month ago I had a major surgery. Mr. Wonderful, my sub doctor, immediately put me on 30mg OxyContin twice per day, plus 30mg Percocets/ oxycodone every 4-6 hours as needed, plus 7.5 Valium 3 times per day. Being on a lower sub dose than what he thought, I have been taking one Perc 30 in the am and one OxyContin 30 before bed with a chip of Valium here and there for pain/muscle spasms. I have no problem stopping the benzo's and pretty much have stopped. So, yesterday I took a chip of a suboxone, 8mg pill. Probably like 3mg in the morning, and a tiny chip at night, maybe 1mg.

My questions is, I haven't taken anything in 12 hours. I know the half life of sub lasts way longer. Now what to do if I want to stop completely? Use some 10mg and 5mg Oxycodone to taper or use some 2mg sub strips cut up to stop? My ultimate goal is to get off everything while I'm home and have time to feel crappy while not having to go back to work for a couple weeks. Is there a smart and "easier" way to use either the 2mg sub strips to do like a 3-5 day taper or better to use the short acting opiates!? It's been YEARS, like 8 almost, since my drug of choice, heroin. I haven't abused any of these pills, in fact I have taken much less than recommended and been using Motrin 800's to manage most of my severe pain.

Some other factors I was struggling with included extremely bad dreams on the opiates, and I will be having a number of follow up procedures and possible surgeries to correct some complications in the future. I just need some support and I guess I'm looking for some advice from someone who has had major surgery and is trying to have it be the "end" of using everything. Thanks for reading and I hope this makes sense!
CiR

Post subject: Sub or Perc's
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:28 pm 

Hey CIR,

I remember you quite well. That user name is very unique. My situation was similar to yours but I had no desire to stop the Suboxone after surgery.

About a year and a half ago I had tapered down to 1 mg of Sub. Then like you, I got sick and needed several surgeries. My doctor was not as well informed as yours and just told me to explain my Bupe situation to my surgeon. Well that didn't work and after my first surgery I was prescribed 10 mg Lortabs for pain. It pissed me off to no end because it didn't do anything at all for my pain so I suffered for about two weeks until I could finally feel the Lortabs working. By then my pain had diminished anyway so I was still pissed off. After complaining so much he gave me Percoset 7.50 instead. Couldn't feel those either. I ended up back on Suboxone after three weeks of Percs and Lortabs.

Okay, next chapter. My second surgery was about the same, drug wise, but very little pain. This time I was hospitalized and again, only given 10 mg Lortab. Yea I was pissed off again but after a few days I realized that I wasn't going through any bad withdrawals. Only a tiny bit of anxiety and sweating. And even those were very minor. It occurred to me that it was very possible to stay on the Lortabs long enough to get the Bupe out of my system completely, then a slight taper and jump. In the past I never suffered any bad withdrawals from 3 or 4 hydrocodones a day. It would have been a walk in the park physically for me to stop. Mentally was a whole different story. After taking full agonist pain meds again my cravings went off the chart and I ended up back on Suboxone to keep it at bay. To me, I dodged a bullet.

Today, one year later, I am on 6 mg's of Sub to keep the demons away. But that is me, not you. You seem to have a decent hold on your addiction. If I were you, I'd ask for lighter meds like what I had. Get away from the Oxycodone and go with the easier to stop Hydrocodone. If you're anything like me, 4-5 10 mg Hydros a day will keep you out of withdrawals. If you can, stick with those for two, maybe three weeks, then start tapering to stop. That's my take on it. Your system may be totally different from mine so it's just a guess.

I wish my experience was like yours and I could have stopped all meds. My addiction affliction (good name for a band) has always been really bad. It's a wonder I'm still alive after all these years. Thank the gods for Suboxone and AA or I don't know where I'd be, if at all.

You are in a great position to accomplish this goal. Funny how some good comes out of bad situations.

Rule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:46 pm 

I don't have any personal experience with this, but I think that Rule gave you some excellent advice. I agree that if you want to taper off sub, stop taking even small amounts of the sub and rely on the short-acting opiates. It takes long enough for the sub to leave your system without adding more.

As you're tapering off opiates, I would make sure that you up your recovery game plan. Have a support system ready. Hook back up with your meetings or addiction counselor. Then if major cravings start up, you have something to help you through. Otherwise, you may have to depend on sub again. Not the worst thing in the world by any means, but give yourself a real chance to be off sub so you can say that you've tried it at least.

Amy

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:14 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you for the advice. I haven't taken anything all day and I'm really starting to feel it. Mostly sweaty and clammy, my stomach is letting go of a months worth of food all at once today (sorry if that's TMI) and I'm rather restless. Since I'm home "recuperating" anyways, and noticed a flat tire today, I am stuck home. Can't run to the store for anything. I do have a TON of opiates from the surgery and subs galore. Unfortunately, I obviously want to stop more or I would have taken a chip, a half, a strip or some slice of something! I'm controlling it pretty well with Motrin, Aleve and a Valium and 1/2 today for the muscle spasms. May as well admit my surgery was a double mastectomy with tissue expander reconstructions.
For those of you who don't know what that means: basically they filet your pec muscles in half to accommodate a temporarily fillable implant, held in place by some cadaver skin, and then proceed to add 50cc's of saline into those expanders on a weekly basis via a magnet inside and a magnet tool to find the spot to inject. That essentially stretches out your chest so you can eventually, in September, get a "real" fake boob, or "foob" via another two weeks out of work and one day surgery. And probably a whole new prescription of pills, probably Percs and Oxy's. Again, my drug of choice was sniffing heroin. Haven't sniffed a thing in 8 years. Ok, lie, I sniffed a bump of K one time to try it. But other than that, and being a counselor for a number of years now, I do have a lot of coworkers for support, as well as family and friends. So here I am, nothing since .25mg at about 11am yesterday morning. I slept rotten but dreamt in there somewhere. I was just telling my mom how this is new and I truly never have fully detoxed in the past. Always got drugs, when I couldn't anymore, I got right on subs without as much as 12 hours of what I thought at the time was hell, in between. So, I ask you- take a chip, slice, something and ease this night, or take some Ambien, Valium, Flexerils, and suck it up, sweat it out and stop prolonging the inevitable!? I guess I just need someone to say NO and you're ok... Or "take something, you are in enough pain now". Damn addict brain kicks huh? Mom offered to take the pills. I would get her to deliver them back at 3am if needed, so no go on that. She's too soft to hold them. Flush them? How could I? Just don't take them? Been working thus far, probably because there's still some on my receptor sites for 48-72 hours or more!? Grrr...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:17 pm 

I wish I knew what to tell you. First of all, let me say that I'm so sorry you're having to go through all of this surgery. Is this preventative or did they find cancer? I have a good friend who recently went through the same thing and it's a long haul. But she made it through to the other side and you will too!

You don't have anyone else who could hold your pills/films? If you're slowly experiencing less pain then it makes sense to rely entirely on Motrin and Aleve. However, if the pain is not subsiding, I would hope that you can trust someone to help you make the decision on what to take, how much, and make sure that you're not overdoing it. Since you have fellow counselors to rely on, I would enlist one of them to help you in this capacity. The unfortunate thing about pain is that it can create pathways to the brain that the body has a hard time letting go of. I.e. pain begets more pain.

I would like to think that there's a way for you to get some relief without lapsing back into active addiction. Please keep us posted!

Amy