It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Major Dental Surgery!!!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey whats up everybody!!! Im having major dental surgery in 3 weeks, 11 extractions 4 cavities filled and partial plates made. Opiates have broken and destroyed all my teeth, and now that ive been sober thanks to suboxone my bank account has flourished once again!! I take 8mg once a day, ive been on them for about 3 months now. I am going to get put to sleep for my dental surgery, any recommendations on how i should handle the pain? Should i stop taking the suboxone prior and after the surgery? Will the fentynol in the anastesia react with the subxone?...please forgive my spelling. Any advice would be great... Thanks Guys!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Greg,

The first thing I'm going to do is refer you to another thread (http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=34268#34268). This other thread includes a link to an NIH article about how to treat acute pain in sub (and methadone) patients. It's an easy read, and I'd highly recommend you give it a read. Then YOU will have an excellent understanding of how to doctors can treat acute pain in those of us with a high opiate tolerance from being on sub. Many of us have used this paper for surgeries (dental or medical). You might even want to share it with your dentist/oral surgeon.

Also important, make sure your dentist/oral surgeon knows about your sub use AND get your sub doctor and dentist hooked up so they can openly communicate about your proper treatment

Chances are they will use Fentanyl along with something else to knock you out. Because the suboxone will do its best to block the fentanyl. But your docs SHOULD know that. I've had fentanyl used that way for an upper GI endoscopy and had no problems whatsoever with them adding fentanyl to the mix. So there will be no negative interaction.

If I were you, I'd taper your dose of 8 mg down a bit over the coming weeks before your procedure. Then stop your dose about 2-3 days before. While you're doing this, just keep in mind that you may have to adjust this plan if you start to have withdrawals.

You'll need more than "normal" pain meds following the procedure to get past the suboxone and to reach your tolerance level, now higher due to being on suboxone. This is one of the reasons you want to get those doctors together, so the one writing you for pain meds will know you'll need higher than average doses of full agonists. In other words, you'll need enough short-acting pain meds to keep you out of withdrawals.

I hope this helps. I also hope this isn't too confusing. Ask any questions you may have and I'll try to clarify.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hi greg

i hope that your dr and dentist are willing to give you something i had some dental work done about a year ago while i was on subs i had 4 teeth extracted 3 root canals and some crown/and bridge work and while that is no where near the amount of work you are having done i was able to get through it without any narcotics. in all fairness to my dentist and dr i made it real clear that i didn't want any pain meds none at all i know that i couldn't have handled them just wasn't ready for it. i did have my dentist give me valium i was able to sleep the day of and pretty much most of the following day and with that and alot of advil i really only had minor discomfort funny when i think about how much pain meds i would have taken in my past. if your dr is unwilling to give you adequate pain meds maybe you could look at splitting up the work and going the route i did it really wasnt bad at all the fear of pain i had was sooo much worse than the actual pain.

on a side note i was only taking 2mg of sub piror to the appt my sub doc bumped me to 6mg during the treatment he said it would also help with pain relief not sure if it did or not

good luck and please let us know how it turns out i still have alot of work left and would be interested in hearing how it goes for you.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Luvmy3 I will def keep you guys posted. I go September 1st to get it done, I would love to split it up but im getting it all done at once, my mouth is so terrible and im so embarrassed my life is pretty much on hold til i get this done all my front teeth are broke. i dont go out of the house at all, unless its to work and errands. I pretty much dont talk to anyone. Im getting all done right away cause i have a friend thats going to make my partial plates for me top and bottom. The valium sounds like a good idea, ive taken xanex and valium before but never abused them, they were really never my thing, i dont like them but i know that would help me with the sleep issues for sure, its just getting my dentist or doctor to prescribe them thats the key, thanks for the input and ill be sure to keep you guys posted as soon as this happens, Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:30 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I've been through some major dental work also, the life of a drug addict can do some real damage to your teeth, especially the lower. I've always refused pain meds after and the doctor will say "are you sure? You will be in some pain for a few days". I have however taken Valium from my oral surgeon for sleep. That with plenty of over the counter pain meds and I made it through ok. To me (this is just my opinion, I don't want a debate over this) I've abused so much and probably made it harder for legitamate pain sufferers to get thier meds, this is my pay back. I know it sounds back assward but it's the only way I know how to make ammends to those people. This pretty much goes with dental work only, if I'd have to have surgery or a compound fracture I would not deny myself the relief.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:23 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Can i smoke weed the day before my colonoscopy and Upper Endoscopy? Eh im wondering if smoking weed/cigs will affect the outcome of my colonoscopy and/or Upper Endoscopy. Im 16 and have a lil bathroom and was thinking about rolling a blunt and smoking it cause im be in that lil bathroom all day, why not? im get super baked if i can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

swapnadi wrote:
Can i smoke weed the day before my colonoscopy and Upper Endoscopy? Eh im wondering if smoking weed/cigs will affect the outcome of my colonoscopy and/or Upper Endoscopy. Im 16 and have a lil bathroom and was thinking about rolling a blunt and smoking it cause im be in that lil bathroom all day, why not? im get super baked if i can.

I don't know if anyone would advise smoking weed -- unless, of course, you live in CA.
Where do you live?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:34 am 
New Poster
New Poster

After surgery, your jaw muscles may be sore and it may be hard to open your mouth for up to seven to 10 days. Your jaw muscles may have become stiff and sore from holding your mouth open during surgery. If your jaw muscles are not too sore, massage them gently with a warm, moist facecloth. Eat foods that are easy to chew such as eggs, pasta and bananas. Have drinks like milk shakes, milk and juices. Call your dentist or oral surgeon if, after seven to 10 days, your jaw muscles are still tender or if your mouth is still hard to open. Do not force your mouth open. Do not chew gum or eat hard or chewy foods. Do not have drinks like coffee and tea.