It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:07 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi,

I have been on Suboxone for just about two years now. This drug saved my life at a time where I never thought I could live the life I live now. I have been beyond stable in my life now for over a year.

No more than 6 months after starting Suboxone, I went on a four day vacation to an area about 3 hours from my house. For part of the ride there, I had my pills in my backpack in the trunk of the car. After about half way, I remembered that Suboxone is sensitive to cold and moisture, so I took them out, figuring that they would be fine. So, we got to our vacation destination, and everything was fine. However, about a day and a half after we got there, I just started feeling weird, like my Suboxone wasn't working. I was taking about 3, 8MG pills a day, and I remember I started taking like 6, but still felt very strange. It was nothing like withdrawal from Methadone (which Suboxone saved me from), but nevertheless uncomfortable, couldn't sleep, couldn't be myself, and a big step away from how I had been feeling. I figured it was because I had ruined my pills by leaving them in the trunk.

However, when the time came to come home, it seemed like as we got closer and closer to home, I felt better and better, and sure enough, the next day at home I was just fine, and still taking the same pills I left in the trunk.

Telling this story is necessary because next week, I leave again for vacation, only this time way further away, on the other side of the U.S....I am just so scared that I will get there, and this will happen again. I keep telling myself, no it won't - I mean, it would just be so weird if it did. For so long now, I have been so so stable on Suboxone with no issues whatsoever.

In trying to justify why that happened to me, I sometimes think that "Well, maybe I was having residual withdrawals from methadone, or maybe my body just wasn't completely adjusted to Suboxone yet, and it just coincidently coincided with my vacation." I don't know. But it is scaring me, making me feel vulnerable at a time when things in my life are so very secure.

Please someone tell me if Im crazy..or has anyone else experienced this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello Maleko and welcome to the forum. I can't say I've ever experienced what you're describing and I've been stable on sub for over a year and a half. (Although I haven't had any storage issues.)

There is one thought that occurred to me, but I could be way off with this. Do you think it could have just been anxiety? Maybe you were worried about the sub and it's effectiveness due to the storage issue and you worked yourself up? The mind is a powerful thing, especially when it comes to us addicts and withdrawal symptoms.

You've been stable on sub for a long time now, so I'm thinking you'll have a great vacation and everything will be just fine. I'm not trying to minimize your fears, just trying to help you to stay positive and optimistic.

Again, welcome to the forum. I think you'll find this is a great place full of very supportive and intelligent people. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: One more thing
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:30 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I also forgot to mention that I feel that maybe it is possible that for some reason your body reacts different to Suboxone if your in a different climate or something? I dunno, let me know what you all think.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:12 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

This may just have been something completely unrelated to suboxone. I've been on suboxone a long time and when ever I get the flu or a cold or even allergies in the spring my first thought is always "somethings wrong with my suboxone dose". You could have even been car sick or ate something bad or like hatmaker said anxiety. There could be a thousand other reasons you were feeling the way you did. I honestly would not worry about it. I've done lots of traveling since being on suboxone and never had any adverse reaction, if anything when I'm out of town I will sometimes forget a dose or two and feel fine. Enjoy your trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think that both of the ideas are good ones. Add on the fact that we all have 'memories' of withdrawal, and once those feelings start and we start focusing on them, the tapes start to play back and the feelings get worse and worse. I think that distraction is the best tool for such situations-- as in 'just don't think about it'. How you do that, though, is anyone's guess!

I have not seen measures of how the med holds up in humidity, but I would be surprised if it went bad to a degree where you would feel a difference. Remember that the half life is very long; even completely stopping a dose usually doesn't result in a great deal of withdrawal for a couple days if the person is taking 12-16 mg per day (of course some people get sick quicker than others).

When I saw the header for this thread I thought it was about something else-- I receive calls now and then from patients claiming their Suboxone was confiscated at the airport. I don't know if it happens as often as I hear about it.... but you always want to have controlled substances in the vial that they came in from the pharmacy. Take only what you need for the trip, plus maybe a couple extra in case your flight is delayed... and leave the rest at home, safely tucked away in a safe if possible. I strongly recommend keeping the vial with the medication in your POCKET or carry on; many people have written to me and said that meds were stolen from their checked baggage, and that has happened to me as well. I have also had meds taken from my luggage by housekeeping staff, so I now either carry vials in my pocket at all times, or use the safe that many hotel rooms have in the closet.

Post subject: Thank you all
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:40 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you all for your replies. It has definetely made me feel better. I know the whole issue sounds ridiculous, but is really is a fear that I have. It would just be horrible to go on my trip and start to feel different. Besides that one time feeling a bit different, I haven't had to experience withdrawals in so long, nor worry about going through them. But like I said, I went on that trip after being clean not very long at all, and while I feel like I remember everything, the truth is I can't remember exactly how I was feeling, and you guys are right to say it could have been tons of different things. I mean, even after being clean several months, I was still a COMPLETELY different person than I am right now. All of your responses have helped me feel a lot better, so that when I go on my trip I don't have much anxiety. I will not let any anxiety trick me into thinking something is wrong with my medication.

Reading the doc's reply makes me remember that I am still on a drug that can cause withdrawal symptoms. I go through day-to-day though feeling as if I am completely free from drugs, probably because I have never had to go without it and never felt withdrawals from it. Suboxone has done more for me than I ever thought possible. I can honestly say that I will probably be on it the rest of my life, or at least most of it. Sometimes I think though, "what happens when my doctor retires?" or "what happens if my doctor moves." Luckily, I have a good doctor who recognizes my need to be on it indefinetely. But, I think the longer I am on Suboxone, the more likely it is that a future docotr WILL keep me on it.. I have gathered documents to prove how horrible my past life was, and documents to show how far I have come since Suboxone, and in 1 year, I will have a college degree to add to that. Suboxone really is a miracle drug.

Thank you all for your replies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

maleko I just wanted to let you know that while I haven't had any bad experiences while traveling I have noticed that I will start to fear that I'm going through withdrawals even when I come down with a cold. One of my major problems during withdrawal was both extreme anxiety and rapid temperature changes. As a result anytime I start to notice I have a fever I really kind of psych myself out and convince myself that I must be in withdrawal. I'm even getting a good chuckle in now just thinking about how I overeacted the first time I got sick after starting Suboxone. I noticed I was having chills and goosebumps and that was all it took to send me into freakout mode lol :) I guess I'm just adding that in my experience I truly thought I was in withdrawal when I really wasn't. Now I obviously can't say that is what happened with you during your last trip mainly because I wasn't there but that would be my best guess. I suppose that what helped me the most though was finding out that others have had the same experiences and that there really was something going on even if I wasn't actually dealing with withdrawal.

I also just wanted to congratulate you on your degree and let you know that I was also able to get back into school after I started Sub maintenance and I absolutely believe that Sub is one of the main reasons I was able to get decent grades and eventually earn my bachelor's. I just felt like Sub gave me another chance at life and it sounds like you've had the same experience :)

Anywho I hope you have a great time on the upcoming trip and I'm so happy for you and your accomplishments after having dealt with the hell of opiate addiction. Happy Friday!!!! Oh and feel free to send me a PM if you need anything take care :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:52 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

This question is to anyone here. Why would someone even want to steal Suboxone? While it's an opiate, it doesn't get most people high so what is the point? It's kind of silly. Granted, I will always keep my bottle in safe keeping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hopeful - There is a market on the street for suboxone. Some people use it in between getting high, like when they're out of drugs. Then there are the suboxone-naive people that do use it to get high. So do hang on to your sub...oh, and I've learned that when people find out that I'm on it, sooner or later someone will ask for it. Hope this helps to answer your question.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:39 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Everybody,

I just wanted to post an update and let you all know that I have been on my vacation for 4 days and everything is great! No issues whatsoever. I don't know what it was that happened on my first trip, but it was obviously related to my body not yet being completely stable on Suboxone. I have been clean 2 years today! I just can't believe a drug I was so addicted to and never though I could get away from is now drifting even further into the past. But anways, so now, I won't ever have to worry about going on trips, or thinking that I am ruining the quality of my medicine through weather changes, etc.

On a side note, my brother lives with my parents, and he is in the process of being clean (although I don't know how clean he really is). Now, let me tell you all that I am not close to this brother at all and have not seen him in years and years and years. Anyway, my parents know of my amazing transition back into a positive and healthy life, where I am making unimaginable progress. They also know I take suboxone. However, when I got here, my dad is like "don't let your brother get a hold of that." And I'm like...WHAT??? Apparently my brother has told my parents that suboxone was one of the drugs he was getting high off and such..and I told my dad that makes no sense, sub doesn't make you high!!! It's not one of those street drugs people crave..or am I missing something? Suboxone has never made me high. And it's HORRIBLE. I think my brother is just doing it on purpose. I think maybe he is jealous about how well I am doing, and so he is trying to make me look bad by making my parents think that I am still taking a very "naugthy drug". But, I think my actions speak for themselves. But nevertheless, my parents still do believe him. My mom told me my brother said he was snorting the sub and getting high and I'm like "WHAT???". I just wanted to scream!

I"m sorry for this long post. I just had to vent a little bit and get some off my chest cause it just pisses me off that some people have such a warped vew of Suboxone and think it's just another Methadone....they are so wrong...so so wrong. The truth needs to get out there. The problem is, I don't have the kind of relationship with my parents where I could just talk to them and tell them that that stuff is not true...but oh well. Maybe once I get home I will email them an article on Suboxone. For God's sake, I'm surprised they don't do the research themselves but instead just take their son's word for it..but I mean..it is their son..but then again so am I.

maleko

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Maleko -

I'm so pleased to hear that things are going so well and you're not having any problems on your vacation. YAY YOU! And congrats on your 2 years. The transitions we've made with the help of suboxone are amazing aren't they? You should be very proud of yourself as should your parents.

With regard to people using suboxone to get high...It's my understanding that people who are naive to it actually can use it to get high. Many of us felt a bit of that high in the first couple of days of sub treatment, after which it subsides. I think it's before before the opiate receptors are saturated with bupe when it happens. Like I said, this is just how I understand it - I could be wrong or am explaining it incorrectly.

Again, congratulations! Keep up the good work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:18 am 
Hey Maleko....glad everything went well on your trip! Well, mostly....except for the little 'misunderstanding with your parents/brother. As you implied.....your parents and everyone else can see all the positive changes in your life that have come with the help of Suboxone plus a lot of hard work on your part.
I wanted to add that there IS a lot of misinformation out there about this drug. There is definitely a diversion problem. And I agree wholeheartedly with Hatmaker in that if someone who has a problem with opiates knows you're on Suboxone, eventually they will ask you for "one." I believe in most cases it's for them to use as a "hold-over" to prevent withdrawal until they can get their hands on what they really want, full-agonist opiates. I suppose there are a few people out there who might try to get high with it, but for the life of me, I can't understand that one! If your opiate tolerance is low enough to allow bupe to get you high, why in the world would you choose Suboxone as opposed to something like a couple of Lortab?
Anyway, yes, the misinformation out there is pretty widespread. I just try to remember what it felt like to be in active addiction, even when I wanted out of it. That may be where your brother is at. He knows he's sick, he knows he needs help, maybe he's trying to pull together some recovery practices, but it sounds like he still doesn't really understand what it takes to do this.
I spent a good hour on the phone yesterday with the son of good friend of mine. He is addicted to opiates.....pain pills, lots of them. Apparently the doctor who was supplying him was shut down by the DEA, so aside from a few 'connections' he has, he found himself in a world of hurt. He actually had heard of Suboxone and made an appointment, went in and was prescribed 32mg a day! He told me that while he certainly wasn't experiencing withdrawal, he was real tired, feeling sedated. Well, I guess so! I explained the ceiling effect to him and encouraged him to speak to his doctor about how he was feeling and perhaps see about getting that dose down a bit. We talked about a lot of things, including that it's nobody's business that he's on Suboxone. He said he already knows it has a 'street value' and plans to keep his treatment private for the most part. He's already going to meetings. He just got scared, after being on Sub for about a week, hearing some bad things about it (it gets in your bones and it's harder to get off of than oxy) and his concern about feeling sedated and so forth and concerns about cost. Anyway, it was good to be able to offer him some information based upon my own experience. I hope he hangs in there and gives recovery all he's got. He's a good guy with a lot to lose....in fact, admits to already having lost enough. I've referred him to the site for more help.
Thanks for the update Maleko and always remember the proof of your well-being on Suboxone is obvious. All we can do is try to help others understand it, but if they don't, they don't....and some never will!

Post subject: Sub "gets in the bones?"
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:14 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

What is this I keep hearing about Suboxone getting into the bones? Does it literally absorb into your bones?! God, that just -cannot- be good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:23 pm 
"getting into the bones" is just an expression referring to the fact that bupe has a very long half-life and builds up in your system. Most of us have experienced our opiates wearing off every 4 hours, but with Sub you can go 3-4 DAYS before starting to feel unwell. So, no, it doesn't literally "get into your bones", it just takes a while to get out of your system when you stop.