It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:54 pm 

I found an article today about how even old holdouts like Hazelden are now including maintenance medications in their treatment program. Would Cory Monteith still be alive if he were on suboxone? I think probably.

http://healthland.time.com/2013/07/17/v ... -monteith/

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah there's been a definite change in the rehab landscape over recent years in how they deal with maintenance medications. I've noticed the more established rehabs where I'm from, the Odyssey Houses etc now have beds specifically put aside for those on maintenance drugs, and those beds are for people to stay on maintenance throughout their stay! I'm actually about to go to a short rehab and stay on Suboxone for the 28 days. Reason I'm going is because I really need a recovery refresher after the fallout of earlier in the year.

Would Cory Monteith be alive if he were on Suboxone? I'd say yes, almost definitely yes. Even those who continue to use while on methadone or Suboxone find their chances of overdose reduce a lot. This is the reason why rehabs have really "come around" with maintenance medication. The long term stats are in - people who stay on maintenance have a much better chance of staying alive than those who do not. People who get out of abstinence based rehab are particularly vulnerable to overdose. Many don't take into account how their tolerance is down after a period clean, and drop. It's ironic, but you have more chance of overdose from going to an abstinence based rehab because of this than by staying "out" and continuing to use.