It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Magic Mushrooms
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:57 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Is it true that you can get alot from psychedelic mushroom? I've been reading this article about magic mushrooms lately and im fascinated about its medicinal properties but it has psychedelic effect that can make you hallucinate. The thing is it can help you cope with depression and gives you a relaxing vibe but im not pretty sure because i haven't really tried it myself yet. Can you give me some more information regarding about psychedelic mushroom?

Post subject: Re: Magic Mushrooms
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:10 pm 

Thaddeus,

We are a recovery forum, so we don't give information about using drugs. I would try over at Bluelight.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Amy is right. FWIW, I 'did them' in the 1970's. If they were useful for treating depression, someone would have made money selling them by now (I don't buy into the paranoid nonsense about big pharma deliberatly keeping us sick, to make money off us... and the government keeping the really great treatments illegal). Some people like the effects, but i understand why they are not addictive. For me, they always triggeres hours of isolation and loneliness. I'm laughing to myself right now realizing that someone is going to describe what a loser that sounds like, and say that his/her experience was wonderful...and yes, they do make people laugh very hard at times. But they also prevent a person from getting a thought across to another person, and they make driving a car feel like flying an airplane. Neither of those things are conducive to long-term happiness!

I don't even know if the poster of this thread is a real person with bad grammer, or someone pretending to be something else. But the goal for people here is to find their true selves, while at the same time avoiding the easy way out-- i.e. heroin mostly. The goal is to TOLERATE long, boring days, or to find a way to make those days more meaningful. Doing shrooms is just one more of misusing the greatest gift you'll ever have- your mind.

Good luck on your journey, and yes, bluelight, or maybe erowid, would be more appropriate.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:43 am 

If memory serves me right, don't magic mushrooms contain strychnine? I took some in the early 70's and it was common knowledge to pick out the white cotton looking particles before ingesting them. Even then, I still got a bad stomach ache every time. Plus they smelled like dirty socks and were awful to eat. It wasn't worth the high to me being in physical pain.

So why would someone take a drug that has poison in it? I may be way off base on this one and it's possible growers figured out how to remove or prevent the strychnine from growing on them so my opinion may be mute.

Just throwing it out there.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:33 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The active compound in magic mushrooms is psilocybin. There have actually been clinical trials done recently at Johns Hopkins using it to treat anxiety/grief in terminal cancer patients. The results were very positive. Of course it was done with known doses in a very controlled environment, with a counselor present at all times. The last I checked there were planning on continuing trials on those with MDD and possibly alcoholism. So don’t just write it off.

https://hub.jhu.edu/2016/12/01/hallucin ... n-anxiety/

On the other hand the OP doesn’t look like he’s getting his information from a medical journal. So I wouldn’t advise just eating a handful.

But honestly, if I had the opportunity to participate in a clinical trial treating MDD with psilocybin I would do it in a heartbeat.