It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:35 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey everyone, I'm back to give my monthly taper update. This past month I've gone from .5mg down to .25mg. I have to say, the reality of the end being near is pretty exciting! Although this has been a long journey, the minimal amount of withdrawals along the way has really been encouraging.

In the past when I tried dropping by large doses, but my social and professional life prevented me from maintaining my taper because of the withdrawal symptoms. This go around I have been able to schedule and do whatever I want without Suboxone withdrawals creeping up ruining my plans while maintaining my taper.

Throughout the month I've made a few small changes to my taper plan which I feel has helped me out and allowed me to reduce my dosage as gradual as possible.

First, during my taper from 2.0mg to .5mg I dropped by .063mg every week like clockwork. Every Wednesday I would take my next lower dose and everything was pretty good. When I surpassed the .5mg mark, I started to notice the symptoms more when I dropped by .063mg. It wasn't bad by any means, but it made me restless a few nights and I would get the yawns every so often. My goal is to get through the taper with minimal withdrawals possible, so to combat this I decided to reduce my dose even more gradually. I still dropped by .063mg every week, but the last 3 days before I dropped I would reduce by increments of .015mg to prepare my body for the next drop. I feel this helped reduce symptoms and gave my body time to adjust more smoothly.

For example, going from .50mg to .438mg in 1 week:

Day 0: .50mg
Day 1: .50mg
Day 2: .50mg
Day 3: .50mg
Day 4: .484mg
Day 5: .468mg
Day 6: .453mg
Day 7: .438mg

Second, I had a habit of taking my first dose at 7am and second at 2pm which I did for awhile. As I got lower, my sleep became lighter and didn't want to compromise my sleep. To help this situation, I still take my first dose at 7am and now my second at 7pm. This allowed me to sleep more comfortably and made the taper even more consistent. The first week was a bit of a mental battle, but fought the urge to take it at the earlier time. By the second week, taking it at 7pm felt normal.

Lastly, I started working out again. I got a little lazy for the last 3 months (it happens) and I know how important it is for your body to be in good shape while you're tapering. So I started to work out and eat healthy. I still take all my multivitamins, amino acids, and 5htp. This will help me prepare for when I jump and to reduce withdrawals. Luckily, throughout my taper I haven't had to take any prescriptions my doctor wrote my to combat withdrawal symptoms.

So my goal for the rest of the taper is to get to .063mg in the next 3 week. Then from there drop by .015mg for 3 weeks down to .015mg. Maintain that for a week and jump from there. That's about the lowest I can go and it will be Thanksgiving. I will have plenty to be thankful for then! :D

Well sorry for rambling, I have wanted to get a lot off my chest. As you probably know, I have been using my Rx Film Cutting Guide and it's aloud me to cut my films into the small doses I need. As I get lower, I will try to update more frequently.

Take care and let me know if you have any questions!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Wow, you are doing an awesome job. It's always very encouraging to read someone having such good success with a taper. I was curious how you were going to make a reduction in dose of 0.016mg, but then I read at the end you using a film cutting guide. I would be interested to have a look at that if it is an online resource.

Keep it up!

Methadone Clinic Directory (U.S. and Canada)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:15 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks Somniferum! Yeah I made a website and YouTube video which goes over the cutting guide. Just go to http://www.rxfilmcuttingguide.com and you can check it out.

RXFCG

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congratulations and well done RXFCG! You have stuck with your taper and it has provided you with great results to this point. I think you picked a wonderful time to make your jump! You are a model of consistency for others to follow.

Thanks for the update and please continue to do so. You are helping so many others and giving hope to those that may really need it. Yup, well done RX. :D

Karen xoxo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

RXFCG wrote:
Thanks Somniferum! Yeah I made a website and YouTube video which goes over the cutting guide. Just go to http://www.rxfilmcuttingguide.com and you can check it out.

RXFCG

Nice website and video. I'm going to add a link to your YouTube video to the video page on my site the next time I do an update on it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:47 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey Karen, thanks for your support and good wishes! It's hard to believe I'm already down this low. Time does seem to fly and for this taper, it's a good thing. Also, congrats on being off for over a month! I check in on your post every once in awhile and it's good to see you're doing well! I just don't want to get involved in all that baby talk... ;) I'll keep everyone updated on my progress when I keep hitting milestones.

Somniferum, I appreciate that! I continue to follow my plan to test out this taper process and I'm really happy with the results. The liquid taper wasn't a possibility for me, so I consider this taper the next best thing.

I hope to one day get some real feedback from others that have tried tapering this way. If I'm really lucky, maybe get a sticky on this forum so people can easily find out how to cut their films into small doses.

Regardless, thanks for that! Can you let me know when you post it so I can check it out?

RXFCG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've included a link to the YouTube video and your site on the 'Video' page here http://www.opiateaddictionresource.com/media/video. I didn't embed it as if I embedded all the videos on the page it would take too long to load. If I decide to make separate pages for each video in the future, I may embed it then.

Thanks for providing such a great resource!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:29 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks again Somniferum!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:29 pm 

Great job, RXFCG!

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:58 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks Amy! I can't wait to report when I have actually jumped!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:46 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey everybody, it's been another week and I'm down another .063mg. I figured since I am so close to the end, I would just keep updating this thread. So I am down to .188mg and this last week was actually a lot better than the weeks before. My taper last week went like so, starting on Wednesday last week:

Day 0: .25mg
Day 1: .25mg
Day 2: .25mg
Day 3: .25mg
Day 4: .233mg
Day 5: .218mg
Day 6: .203mg
Day 7: .188mg

I would felt 95%, mentally and physically from Thursday to Sunday because my body adjusted to the previous level. As my doses started dropping again, so from Monday to Wednesday (today) I felt about 80%. To elaborate, my 80% is getting yawns, watery eyes, dry skin, some emotional irritability, but nothing major.

I slept in on Sunday and didn't take my first dose up 10:30am (3.5hrs later than normal). So I decided to take my second dose at 9pm (2hrs later than normal). Sunday night I went to bed at 10pm and slept like a baby! I was shocked because I actually had dream and was in a deep sleep. I haven't had a good dream in a long time. I actually woke up feeling refreshed and excited for work (which hardly happens). Since I slept so well, I started taking my first dose at 9am and second at 9pm. I've had dreams every night since.

I still haven't taken any Prescriptions for withdrawal symptoms and continue to take vitamins and eat healthy on a daily basis. At my current dose of .188mg, my Rx Film Taper Guide says I have about .54mg of Suboxone in my body at this point. It's getting low and I'm still fully functional at work and in my social life. This is good news and hopes it stays this way as I get lower and lower.

Well that's all I have for now. Have a good rest of the week!

RXFCG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:36 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Wow that's fantastic!!! You're doing such a wonderful job! I really wish you a successful taper. THIS seems like a great idea. Sleep is amazing!

When I was cutting down my last few days, I made mysel go til' 12am midnight. When I woke in the morning I felt AWESOME! Though I'm sure you're sleeping at that time, lol. Suboxone gave me horrible insomnia.

Keep us updated!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

RXFCG, glad to hear you are feeling so good.

Doesn't it feel great to get a good night's sleep where you actually dream? My only experience with tapering was with poppy tea and I wouldn't have a decent sleep until a week after a dosage drop. I don't think I had a truly satisfying sleep during the whole few months I was tapering actually.

Great job on the taper, you seem very dedicated.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:11 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Mamamonkey and Somniferum, thanks for the support! Yes, I would have to say sleep is the most important thing for me to have during this taper and having dreams are the best! If my sleep isn't good, then it affects the next day and makes it even worse. That's the reason my attempts at getting off Suboxone in the past didn't work. I tried to taper by dropping too much too quickly and it caused a huge problem with my work and social life. So that's why I wanted to take things slow. I figured that if I'm on Suboxone, might as well start tapering, but do it slowly...

There are nights that my sleep can be light though. On Saturday night I went out and didn't get home till late. I fell asleep fine, but woke up around 5am and felt restless. I ended up going the couch to sleep because I feel the change in location can help, but I tossed and turned there too. To help with the situation I took maybe 50% of my morning dose, so about .05mg's and that helped. I fell asleep and took the rest of my morning dose when I woke up. I always worry that it will affect my day when I do that, but I was fine.

Other than that, I've felt good this past week. My dose today is .155mg and will be getting down to .125mg on Wednesday! Then one more week to .063mg! It's hard to believe that my dose is so low and I still feel good. I guess that's how it is when you taper just 2mg over 6 months... Your body has time to adjust to the lower doses. Once I get to .063mg, I'll be dropping by .015mg each week which will allow my body to adjust even more.

Well I'm out, I'll post another update on Wednesday. Have a good week everybody!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:47 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Good for you!!! Alcohol seems to make restlessness a bit worse. But I have confidence you'll walk away from this with very little WD! I quit at about .25mg every 24 hours & my WD's were pretty much non existent except at nights. And even the nights were nothing compared to my jump prior. You've got the right idea. It's all about allowing your body time to adjust. Look forward to your next update!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey RXFCG,

I'm so happy to see your latest updates. You have done such a great job being slow and consistent. It's going to make a huge difference for you in the end. And, you allowing us to see how you are progressing is going to help alot of people. Thanks so much!

Q

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:01 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

How do you keep your films from sliding around while youre trying to cut them?

For example if I take a razor blade and try to cut a .5 mg piece in half I will get it lined up and take my razor blade and start to slide it along the middle but the strip always moves as I'm sliding the razor blade down the middle. How do you keep this from happening?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:33 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

@mamatomonkey, yes alcohol doesn't help with the restlessness. I try to avoid it as much as possible because I want to keep my body in good shape and that doesn't help. Minor withdrawals in the morning and having a hangover is not a good combo!

@qhorsegal2, I'm glad it's going to help a lot of people. I made it a long process, but I feel it could be done quicker. I just prefer minimal withdrawals because of my work and social life so I decided to stretch it out. Like instead of jumping every 7 days, do it in 5 or 4 days and that would cut off a couple months of the taper. Maybe someone else can try it like that and report back.

@squeakycleanKS, that can be tricky. When I'm using my Rx Film Cutting Guide, I use tweezers or my fingernail to hold the film if it's large enough and then press my blade down firmly as I slide it to cut the film. Keeping the blade flat helps keep the film from shifting too, instead of trying to cut it with your blade at an angle. When the film gets smaller, I actually use the narrow tip of a metal collar stay to hold the film in place. It's rigid enough to put some force down and small enough to stay out of the way. Plus you can get them at most department stores or might have them around the house. See picture of the metal collar stay.

Well to update everyone on my taper, I'm finally down to .125mg today! With the exception of Saturday night, my sleep during this past week has been good. I've been having deep sleeps and wake up feeling refreshed. One thing to note which I think has been helping, is I have been taking 5-HTP at night before bed. It's a supplement that can be bought OTC and I actually take 1 extended release pill and 1 fast acting pill an hour before bedtime. I feel like the combination of both types helps me fall and stay asleep.

Other than that, everything has been good. I'm still splitting my dose into AM and PM, so right now I'm taking .063mg in the morning and again in the evening. I have one more week until I get down to just .063mg. When I split those in half my pieces will be getting real small. A .063mg piece from a 2mg film is about 1/8" x 1/8". Then from there I'll be dropping by .015mgs...

That's all I have for now, let me know if you have any questions.

RXFCG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:52 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Today I officially pushed through the "0.1mg" milestone! This last week, starting on Wednesday, I was at .125mg. Yesterday dropped to .108mg and today .093mg. By Wednesday I'll be at .063mg and will be as low as I can go while on my " drop .063mg every week taper." From there, I'll drop by .015mg every week until I hit "0" in 1 month!

I must say, it will be nice to drop in smaller doses because I have a few light sleeping night lately and it will be nice to maintain a lower more gradual dose.

For the most part, I have felt pretty consistent throughout my entire taper and things have been good. No sick days from work or weekends in bed. Also, no high buzz from taking 16mg as prescribed from my doctor years ago. I can't believe I use to take that much. It's unbelievable that they would prescribe that much when such low doses are maintainable...

I'm glad I've done this long slow gradual taper, but there are pros and cons. Like having patience! Haha, but the less you think about it, the better. Now it's on my mind quite a bit since I'm so close to the end. Being at work definitely helps because it keeps my mind busy.

Well that's my update today, have a great week!!

RXFCG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

That's what I'm talking about! You've done a great job sticking with it. I definitely agree with "the less you think about it, the better" and how it helps to keep your mind busy. When I went through my several-month-long taper with poppy tea I learned that keeping busy was the best thing for me. If you just sit around and dwell on how bad you are feeling or how much you want to sneak in an extra dose, things seem to be a whole lot tougher.

Glad you are doing so well. Enjoy Halloween!