It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:34 pm 

Thanks for continuing to update us! You're such a success story!

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:02 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Congratulations!!! That is amazing! You're definitely an inspiration to many.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:38 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks you two. I'm sticking with my plan to get as long as possible. Almost there!

The one thing I've started reading more about is PAWS. I've read one thread involving one person jumping off at .063mg and still had PAWS for about 6 months. If I jump off at .015mg could I expect my PAWS to be a lot shorter? Like 1/4 of that time?

Also, is it really that bad? I feel like the acute withdrawals would be worse!

RXFCG

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:22 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I don't think its possible to figure out how long your PAWS will be based on your final dose. It varies for everyone. It even varies for the same person. The first time I came off I had symptoms that could have been related to PAWS for a few months; I had a lot of emotional ups and downs and had a slight discomfort throughout my body. After this past jump I only experienced about a month of PAWS and I jumped at a much higher dose then the previous time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Laddertipper jumped off .063mg and had PAWS for months, but I don't think this is the norm.

From what I've seen, people who taper very low have the least chance of getting Acute Wd or PAWS.

BTW, PAWS isn't excruciating or anything like that, it just hangs around and hangs around and hangs around. Kinda feels like dragging a boat anchor around everywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:06 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

That's good input. I feel that throughout my taper, I haven't really experience much of the acute withdrawals, but more the post acute withdrawals. It's more the occasional feeling of tiredness and irritability vs. physical pains. I'll have trouble sleeping on occasion, but it's not as bad as not being able to sleep for days due to RLS or any other opiate sicknesses.

My whole goal was to get off Suboxone with minimal withdrawals possible. The fear of withdrawals is what kept me on opiates and Suboxone for so long. I feel like everybody on this site has gone through the stage of just taking opiates to feel normal and that's what I did for a long time.

So this long slow taper has really been great, well as great as it can be. My goal is to jump once I get down to .015mg, but I'm just ready to be off so my brain and body can being fully recovering.

RXFCG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:09 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Alright, I've officially made it to .063mg, but the last two nights have been rough on my sleep... For the first time during my whole taper, I've experienced RLS that wouldn't let me get comfortable to fall asleep. During these past few days I've dropped down from .125mg to .063mg which is typical throughout my whole taper.

I'm not sure what caused my the irritable RLS, but I did end up taking Requip one night and requip and clonidine another night. They did help, but it still took me a while to fall asleep. A hot shower/bath ended up putting me out. The worst part was being tried at work the next day. I got a headache and felt grumpy due to lack of sleep.

I'm hoping it's from the reduction of my last dose amount, but I've been doing that for 5 months now and this is the first time it's really bothered me.

Regardless, I plan on dropping my dose by .15mg over the next 4 weeks down to zero. These are smaller drops so my body will have time to catch up.

If I sleep tonight I'll know it's from the drop and not from other things. The thought of not knowing how well I'll sleep definitely makes it mental too.

Well I'm going to workout tonight so hopefully that helps out with falling asleep. I don't want to keep taking anymore medication to fall asleep so I don't build a dependence on those drugs either.

Have a good Halloween everyone.

RXFCG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:45 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey RXFCG – Congrats on getting down to .063mg! I’ve been periodically checking in on the forums and you’ve had some amazing progress. I tapered very slow as well and ended up quitting a couple days before last Thanksgiving, jumping off from .05mg/day. I went from .1mg to .075mg to .05mg in about 10days and was fine. The final days after stopping completely from .05mg were no more difficult than any of the taper(pretty easy really). You’re probably having sleep issues from your decrease. While .063mg is a small total reduction, that was still a rather large reduction as a percentage of your total dose (a 50% reduction from .125mg to .063mg). That’s a large drop, so I’m not surprised you’re feeling a little restless the first couple nights.

Throughout my entire taper and jump, I don’t think I had more than 3 consecutive nights of “poor” sleep and I was still able to sleep on those nights. My guess is you’ll find yourself adjusted by tomorrow. Way to go – IMO you’re way ahead of schedule! Stopping next week wouldn’t be bad at all. Also, I was on subs for nearly 4years and PAWS were never a real issue. I’m not sure I felt anything I could consider PAWS? I had some up and down days/weeks/months(?) but nah they weren’t that bad, that’s life! Don’t worry, you’ve got this!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:05 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks SouthJaxBeach! I definitely agree with your logic. Dropping 50% from dose to dose can be a large amount for the body to adjust, I just never thought of it that way since it was such a small amount.

I actually slept pretty good last night. I ended up going to the gym to lift so I could tire my muscles out and took a hot shower before bed. I went to sleep shortly after I laid down and slept well the whole night. So I think I'm in the clear from this last drop.

I'll be dropping to .046mg next week and that will be about 37ish% drop. I went to take it as low as possible, so continuing is not a problem. It's really good to hear about your experience when jumping from such a low dose!

I'm excited to be done. It has been a long journey.

Thanks again for your input and support!

RXFCG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi RXFCG. Glad you have recovered from those couple of rough nights. I just wanted to let you know about an RLS remedy that I found that may work for you if you ever experience it again. Every time I had quit opioids I had terrible RLS that would even affect my arms and torso and I couldn't even lie down to rest, let alone sleep. This led me to read about and try all kinds of different solutions, though none of them seemed to help. One day I read about tonic water helping with RLS, so I gave it a try. I didn't have very high expectations so I was surprised it actually helped me. The reason tonic water can help is there is a small amount of quinine in it. Quinine can be toxic in large doses and if taken regularly, so don't go overboard with it, one glass was usually good enough for me. At $1.99 for a 2L bottle, if there is even a small chance it can help with the HORRENDOUS symptom that is RLS, I really feel it is worth a try. It may sound strange and I honestly didn't expect it to work either, but you never know, it could be the thing that works for you too.

Methadone Clinic Directory (U.S. and Canada)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:23 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks Somniferum! I've never been a fan of gin and tonic, but if just the tonic helps with RLS, I'll give it a try!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Somniferum wrote:
Every time I had quit opioids I had terrible RLS that would even affect my arms and torso and I couldn't even lie down to rest, let alone sleep.

I've NEVER understood why it's called RLS. It is whole body restlessness! I find the restlessness of the upper body much more intolerable than RLS. That feeling where you can't sit still and you'd like to rip your spine out through your mouth? Ugh!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:02 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

So I drank about a 16oz glass of tonic water last night. I think it helped, but wasn't really sure because I didn't feel that restless to begin with. Regardless, I slept great.

I was able to buy 2L for 67¢! What a deal for a withdrawal remedy!

Thanks again for the advice!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:51 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Well I'm on my 6th day of .063mg and I feel like my body has leveled out again. I have 1 more day of this dose and then I'll drop down .046mg. Last night I was a little worried about sleeping since I had work today, but I ended staying up till around 10:30 watching a movie, took a nice hot shower and went to bed. Oh, I also drank about 16oz of Tonic water again. The taste isn't the greatest, but I'm kinda getting use to it. I ended up sleeping good. I didn't feel restless last night or tired today.

The reality is, in about 3 weeks I'll be taking my last dose of Suboxone for the rest of my life. The scary part is I've been taking it for about 4 years now and it's all I've been use to. I feel like the mental aspect will be tough because my brain will be wondering where it's favorite little drug is...

Luckily, I was able to taper this low to prevent any cravings or withdrawals from being too bad. I'm excited and scared at the same time, but when the day comes, I'll be ready and take one sober day at a time!

Have a good week!

RXFCG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:54 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

You're going to be just FINE!! I know it's scary, but you're getting down so low. I jumped from .25mg five days ago and I'm almost 100% already. And my worst days were minor in comparison to full blown opiates. I never once had any stomach issues, I always slept at least 6 hours a night (last night I actually slept 8!!), I basically just felt crummy, and extremely fatigued.

IMO, if you're experiencing withdrawal symptoms like RLS during your taper, I'd just jump and get it over with it. I know everyone is different but I tried skipping .25mg doses and I just felt crummy on skip days so I said screw it, just stop. And i was pleasantly surprised!!

Good luck with everything!!

"the only way out is through"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:39 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks Uwillbloved! I know it will be fine and this can't be nearly as bad as if I jumped from a higher dose... I'm glad you're doing good too! What did you do to help with the sleep? Sleep and RLS seem to be my main issues with tapering this low.

I dropped down to .046mg yesterday and the last couple night my sleep has been light. I have been trying to go to bed later at night, because if I go to be early, I just lay in bed wide awake. I want to get all the way down to .015mg just because that's been my plan all along and I want to prove it to myself the taper works. Also, to see how I feel when I jump off.

I got prescribed several withdrawal meds awhile ago, but not sure which ones are the best to take. I don't want to become dependent on any of them either. I have:

Clonidine
Requip
Hydroxyzine
Propranolol
Trazadone
Alprazolam

I haven't wanted to take them, but I feel like if they help me sleep and reduce the RLS, why not. I've used NyQuil last night and that put me out, but not till late.

Any advice would be helpful!

Thanks,

RXFCG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Clonidine is frequently used when detoxing from opioids and it can help with several withdrawal symptoms, including RLS. Requip (ropinirole) is actually approved specifically for the treatment of RLS, so you might have luck with that. And alprazolam is a benzodiazepine which will help with both sleep and RLS. As a benzodiazepine, alprazolam also carries the risk of dependency so you would want to be careful about taking it long-term.

Now I'm not sure of the dosages of any of these but that can easily be looked up.

Methadone Clinic Directory (U.S. and Canada)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I used Clonidine during my wd and it knocked my wd symptoms down nicely. Clonidine is non-addictive, so no worries there. Clonidine also has a sedative effect. If I were you, Clonidine would be the first thing I tried. I was prescribed .1mg doses.

I think Qhorse used Requip as she was tapering and said that it knocked the RLS out. Requip is specifically designed for RLS.

Alprazolam (aka Xanax) will certainly knock the snot outta ya and make you sleep, but you don't want to mess around with it too long. It's a benzo and benzo wd is said to be harder than opiate wd. My doctor gave me 1mg Xanax. I cut them in half and would only use .5mg at a time.

You're at an interesting point in your taper. You may continue tapering for another month or so and continue having wd symptoms, or you could jump now, have wd symptoms for a few days, then pretty much be down with them. I understand your logic and desire to get to .015mg, I just don't know as it's really necessary.

Either way, you've done a sensational taper.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:42 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I agree with Romeo. Since you're experiencing mild WD symptoms as is, and you really don't have much further to go, I'd just jump and get it over with. You're not going to experience much worse than you are now. If you even experience worse at all. You seem to have a great variety of comfort meds that'll help. You don't want to use it all now, and maybe have mild WD's for the next 3 weeks until Thanksgiving. And then maybe a week or two after that. It doesn't make much sense.

Either way, you have done a sensational job! You should really be proud of yourself!

Requip, Clonodine & Xanax will help you tremendously.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:55 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Oh the decision is killing me. I've definitely started considering jumping earlier after reading the last two posts. The problem is, this weekend and next I have some plans scheduled and really don't want to be under the weather for them. The Thanksgiving weekend is nice because I have 4 days off work. My family will be in town so they will keep me entertained which allows me to keep my mind off the withdrawals. Plus I can take withdrawal remedies during the day and not be so worried about being a zombie.

I hoping this last wave of withdrawals is due to my drop from .063mg to .046mg. I dropped on Wednesday and the real restless nights were Wednesday and Thursday night. I ended up taking Clonidine and Trazadone last night to help with the withdrawals. The Clonidine helped with the feeling of restlessness and Trazadone helped with the sleep. I passed out! So if my sleep continues to be an issue, I might as well jump. Rather have a few days of issues versus a whole month. So I'm going to feel out this weekend, if it's still bad, plan a quicker drop and jump before Thanksgiving. If it's ok, I'll know the withdrawals were from the dose reduction and continue on my current plan.

The Clonidine definitely made me tired too. Does the sedative go away after a few days of use or is it always like that? Also, do people take it 3 times a day regardless of the withdrawal severity or only as needed? That's good it's non-addictive because I don't want to substitute one addiction for another.

Also, if I jump on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving when will the withdrawals start to kick in? A couple days later? I want to plan on being over the withdrawal peak before I go back to work on the Monday after. The unknowns really make this process difficult. I tapered this low to minimize withdrawal so hopefully they won't be that bad.

Regardless, thanks for the support and I'll keep everybody posted!

RXFCG

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next