It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello , I am a 45 year old male . Been on subox for approx 3 years. Current dosage 4mg 2X per day. Also, in the last 3yrs I have gained 20 pounds. I am 5'6" and 175 lbs. my previous and "normal weight was about 155 lbs. MY testosterone levels are at an alarmingly low of 95, normal low is 200-300 and averaqge is I believe like 500-600. My doctor wants to put me on testosterone replacement therapy, which I am ok with if it is temporary. I have heard that if you stop opiates the testosterone can return to normal. I have made up my mind that now is the time to ween myslef off of the suboxone. My incentive is that I dont want to have man boobs, zero sex drive without the use of supplimental testosterone. Can someone tell me if the low testosterone is permanent? Is there hope for me? By the way low testosterone can cause many bad side effects including; weight gaine, depression, brittle bones, hot flashes, and moodiness among other things. If you are experiencing these things and you are a male , I would suggest having your testosterone checked. I would greatly appreciate ANY help and information you all could give me.

Thanks so much,

flyrishman, or you can call me B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:33 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Not permanent. Lots of guys on this forum get off Sub and find their sex-drive goes through the roof.

Post subject: T
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:35 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Read my recent post about this. I am on Sub and androgel. It's great

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Realize too that most people with low testosterone are not on opioids. I've had patients with depression or other symptoms who have never taken opioids, who we found had very low levels-- reason unknown.

The 6- month implant works great- some people don't respond to the cream, be sure to check your PSA first, to check for prostrate cancer.

Post subject: Testosterone
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:25 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

My PCP did check PCA and all other levels. She did an brain MRI as well. They did notice a benign cyst on pituitary gland but do not contribute it to T levels. I guess the only way to really know if it is bupe causing it would to not take Subs for 3-4 days and look for a spike in testosterone. I am somewhat surprised that the manufacture hasn't done so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I would not be suprised that the manufacturer would not test for adverse effects regarding testosterone, because that would not be in their best financial interest. Suboxone does have its value in recovery. But, the fact remains that it is a very strong opiate, and the long term use of opiates can cause many undesirable side effects. This is information that in my opinion is not being given to most suboxone patients. And no, I am not here to slam suboxone or it's use, long term or otherwise. At the end of the day it is up to each individual to choose what is right for him or her. Hopefully we can do this in an informed manner. I recently began testosterone replacement therapy with injections. My hope is that with my test. levels being brought back up to normal again I will begin to have more strength, energy, etc; and as I begin to feel better I plan to start tapering the suboxone. I am currently at 1/2 8mg 2X per day. I know the good doctor says that my body wont know the difference if i do 1/2 every 24 hrs, maybe it is psychological but I seem to feel better when i do it twice per day, and sometimes I do skip the second dose without much consequence, but I will get there when i get there, I am taking my time though. If anybody out there has had similar experiences, I would love to hear from you. Thanks , B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:08 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

This is kind of my pet topic at the moment, as my levels were in the 50s. But the symptoms of low T have plagued me for 8 years, since I cold turkeyed off opiates. My first T injection was like waking from an 8 year stupor.

I only started taking subs because it seemed to relieve the bland life I was living. I never would have made it past the first 30 days of kicking opiates after blowing 90 thousand dollars to keep myself high on oxy 80s for a year and a half, 24/7, if it wasn't for me leaving America and shocking myself culturally and mentally by moving to Southeast Asia and then traveling the world for about 4-5 months, mostly by train, eventually circumnavigating my way back home. I don't think I could have done, facing the boredom, with money to burn, and people to buy from.

But after I got back in America, things were just not right.

I've heard T therapy is life long, but you guys are giving me cause to hope otherwise. It's really frustrating how arbitrary the science seems to be on this issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:16 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

after i quit subs for the next 2 weeks my test went through the roof and in the last month it went through the floor i have absolutely no sex drive and no energy. i am only 29 i took a natural test booster and that didn't help.