It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Low sex drive for women
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:31 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

You guys Im new here & need advice. Ive been on suboxone for years & Im currently trying out the less is more theory. I believe alot of it if not all of it is in my head b/c once I researched & began to believe it was possible tht less is more, less began to work more lol! Anyway, thts not why Im writing, I wana hear from both women & men who are with women who are suboxone. My sex drive is almost non-existent& Im trying to find out if its just me or if other women are going thru this as well...my husband, bless his heart has tried his best to be understanding but its affecting us both...I want to want to have sex, but I dont. The suboxone seems to hav killed it for me. Any advice? Anyone else goimg through this?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:45 pm 

Hi Aliveandwell, Welcome! Yes, I have the same side effect. I have recently tried maca root and I do think it is working! I purchased the drops and just put them in my iced tea about three times a day. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:26 pm 

I do believe that any type of opiate can cause anyone's sex life to go downhill a bit or a lot, sub is a partial opiate so it can effect it also. However I think just life in general can cause this just as much. We all know that when ur with someone for a good length of time, that can even put ppl in a rut, so yeah I do think sub can cause it but it can happen regardless.

I go through different times of the month that I'm more "in need" than other times of the month lol. But I can't blame that on sub personally for me because there's other times that I'm in a great place. Then there's other times that I'd be fine to never initiate it or have it initiated. I'm up and down. So if sub was why I don't want sex sometimes, wouldn't it be like that constant instead of up and down? I don't know. But as for me personally, I feel like my sex drive is in a good place and I've been on sub for four yrs. I think it effects each of us differently. I hope u get it worked out and can start "feeling better" :)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:08 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Subs most definitely affect my sex drive. I used to be a very ummm [fill in blank] woman and now I am like a stale loaf of bread down there (damn does that even make any sense? i guess it does if you don't think too hard lol). That is another reason why I am reducing my dose (slowly). I have noticed that in the past when my dose was lower, or even currently before I take my dose, the 'ole "sex drive" works like a new mustang (lol).

talking about sex online is kinda awkward for me, but maybe this will benefit someone!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:17 pm 

Hi Dhalia, I am with you! On everything you said! lol I am also dealing with menopause and I KNOW that plays a big role in all of it! I do think the maca root helps. And, the drops are so easy to deal with!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:45 pm 

First off, let me apologize for posting in a woman's thread being a man. But I think the problem concerns both sexes.

With men, we have an option of asking our doctor to check for low T. Normally it is low and they prescribe some testosterone to boost it up a tad. It works for us, or a least me for that matter.

Ask your doctor if testosterone would help you too. It doesn't hurt to ask. You would obviously only need a minute amount compared to us men but even just a little bit may make the difference.

That's my 2¢

r

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:36 pm 

I take 3mg of bupe a day. Every once in a while I do get in the mood, but right now I take care of it myself. My husband had radiation for prostate cancer a few months ago and they also gave him shots which lowered his level of testosterone to about zero. I'm waiting until he approaches me for sex because I don't want to pressure him. I don't know if his sex drive will rebound ever and he's not a candidate for testosterone therapy because it could make his cancer come back. I'd much rather have him alive and whole than have him have a recurrence of cancer.

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm interested to know what dose a woman needs to be on before she experiences low libido? And how many years on Sub before you start to notice problems?

I know for me (a male), I'm on a fairly low dose (4mg) and 210 pounds, so I'm hoping that staying on a low dose and exercising regularly will prevent the low T from reoccurring. Last time I was on Sub, I was on 12mg and weighed less, and it took 3 years before I really started to experience the hormonal effects of Sub.

I do feel the effects of long-term ORT on hormones is an area many prescribing doctors are ignorant to, whether it's by choice or otherwise. Because on the one hand we're told we need to stay on Sub long term, meanwhile we hear from many people who've been on Sub for a substantial period complain of low libido and other endocrine symptoms.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:53 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Alive and well,
Absolutely opioids affect my libido. When I have stopped opiods, my libido Is through the roof.
I am on 12mg.
BTW, amy, I'm sorry you and your husband have been impacted by cancer. That can't be easy for either of you.
Look after yourselves girlsss!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:31 am 

Amy, I am so sorry that you and your husband are dealing with his cancer. My husband had a stroke as a result of having been born with a whole in his heart. He also needed a pacemaker as of a result of another birth defect. So, as to your feelings, I can identify! If my husband could never again, I would be more than fine with that as long as he is here with me! Have a wonderful day!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:20 pm 

Any I wish u and ur hubby the absolute best and ur in my prayers!

Michelle I totally agree with u, God forbid if anything were to happen to the person I love and sex was taken off the table, I'd still be by their side. Just having them alive and with me would be a blessing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:46 pm 

Jennifer, my respect for you just went up 10 points. Your husband is one lucky man.

rule

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:59 pm 

Thank you Rule!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:54 pm 

jennjenn wrote:
Any I wish u and ur hubby the absolute best and ur in my prayers!

Michelle I totally agree with u, God forbid if anything were to happen to the person I love and sex was taken off the table, I'd still be by their side. Just having them alive and with me would be a blessing.

Exactly, Michelle and Jenn! Any needs I may have take a back seat to my husband's health. I'm not perfect, and it's not as though I've never been tempted, but I made vows! I knew when I married my husband, who is 17 years older than me, that there was a good possibility that I would end up helping care for him through medical problems. That's marriage!

Amy

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am a woman and 22 years old. I have been on Suboxone for almost 4 years now. I take 4-8mgs a day.
I cannot say for sure whether or not Subs are killing my sex drive because I take multiple medications. I was almost sure it was the birth control I was taking (Cryselle) which my Dr said was highly possible.
So I quit taking BC. I am currently not on any BC right now (scary)! I have noticed a SLIGHT difference in my libido. By slight, I mean sex doesn't sound unbearable anymore. But I am still inclined to not wanting it as much as I used to.
It is VERY unlike me to not be sexual. I was on Subs when I met my Husband and we did it like 3 times a day. Maybe I am just getting older, but it is really unlike me and I would say it's a high possibility that Suboxone is affecting my libido long-term.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:38 am 

Hi Bexxyrae, Welcome! I find it so hard to blame it all on suboxone as I am in menopause and we know how that goes!lol Have a wonderful day!

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:45 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello Aliveandwell I'm also new to this site and have been on suboxone for about 6 weeks. I definitely had no sex drive when I was using and assumed that would improve, but it hasn't. It's been hard on me but harder on my bf. I have noticed that once things get going I'm OK. It's just so hard to even get to that point. My bf went through hell with me when I was using, but he stuck it out and is truely amazing. I just don't want my "issues" to affect him anymore.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:47 pm 

I don't know if this is extremely old-fashioned or not. During the time I was abusing opiates and right now that I'm taking buprenorphine if my husband wants sex I give it to him. Sometimes I may have to tell him to just "go ahead" if I know I'm not going to climax. He hasn't approached me since last Septmenter since they tanked his Testosterone on purpose. I don't want to rush him.

Now, my husband was not wanting sex a lot. He is 61 But he has been happy with once a week or less frequently our whole marriage. So it's been easy for me to say yes to him every time. If your husband wants to have sex once a day, you might have to compromise. But it might be enough for him if you say, OK, every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

Having sex when I don't feel interested is not my "duty" or a chore. It's a way to give back to my husband, who does so much for me. Also, sex is what makes a husband feel closer and more loving to his wife. So it would maybe be a benefit for both of you.

Amy

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:11 am 

Oh boy Amy, you and I really have alot in common! My husband will turn 60 in July. Right now, he is back in great shape, thank God! He has a pacemaker that was necessary due to a birth defect with his heart. That was put in the same year we got married, 2008. We have been together since 1998 as a couple having known each other as friends since 1996. 18 months ago, he had a stroke. It was the most terrified that I have ever been! Thank God they realized he had a hole in his heart. Another birth defect. It was repaired and he was good to go! Until this past February when he went in for a regular check on the pacemaker and there was a problem with one of the wires. So, another surgery to repair that! Now, he is doing great! He is back to work and working out everyday. Our sex life has taken a toll! Between his medical issues, medication, my menopause, and suboxone...we have not had sex in 14 months! I can't even believe it myself!lol There were times when once a day was not enough! lol But, most importantly, nothing has changed between us emotionally. We are still as connected as ever! As a social worker, believe it or not, I have a tendency to talk everything to death! lol Seriously, I just check in with him every now and then to make sure he knows I am ready when he is and that there is no rush. We are both physical people and hugging, cuddling, and spooning are always going on so we maintain a physical connection. I think though, that the talking about it is so important. You know that saying, if the sex is good, its 5 percent of the marriage, if the sex is bad, its 95 percent of the relationship? Well, I say the same goes for communication! Maybe even more so! Have a wonderful day!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Amy, thank you for your candid post. I don't think you're old fashioned so much as you're considering your husband's needs and not just yours. Recently I have been intimate with my bf even when I'm not in the mood and I have found that once things get going I do enjoy it and whether I climax or not, I end up feeling closer and more connected to him. He went through hell with me when i was using and he stuck it out. Also, I've only been clean and on suboxone for six weeks so we're just starting to redefine and heal our relationship. Thank you for reminding me it isn't all about me and my needs, and it feels good to be there for him because I certainly wasn't when I was using.