It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:07 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I am currently on a 5 year stretching med regimen of 16mg Suboxone (don't take full dose every day) 75mg of Effexor XR, and Klonopin. I have been greatly struggling with a very low sex drive, although sometimes it does jump up. The only problem is I lack the functionality of a normal 27 y.o. I have been in a relationship for a few months now and do plan on having sex with my girlfriend. However I am deathly afraid of not being able to perform. It has been causing a great deal of depression and I can only imagine static in the relationship sooner or later.

I am at my wits end here. I know I'm not alone in this matter. I only hope someone can give me some advice other than cutting out these medications (which I am in the long process of, just kicked Paxil.) It will be greatly appreciated any advice I can get. I do plan on getting my testosterone checked also.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:52 pm 

Hey Mgizmo,

Coming down on your bupe dose will have a positive benefit aloug with a check up for Low T. This
is a very common issue for men and women on suboxone.

16mgs will increase side effects including low sex drive. If you can get stable on 4 to 8mgs you may
find that some of these side effects will lesson.

Hope it works out for you over the loug haul..just wanted to welcome you and my guess is others will come by to
offer there experiences too..

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That combination of medication and that dose of Suboxone would also cause me sexual problems.

I remember on Effexor I had lots of difficulty achieving orgasm, which in the end led to me losing my sex drive altogether. Honestly, now I've tried different antidepressants, I wouldn't go back on Effexor, or Paxil for that matter. There are better ones with the same antidepressant effect but without the sexual side-effects.

The other possible cause of your problems is your dose of Suboxone. You may find a reduction in dose may help bring back some of your mojo. In my experience it's not too difficult at all to reduce from 16mg to 8mg, if you do it gradually over a month or so. Bring down your dose and I think you'll start to feel your old self returning.

With the antidepressants, if you really need an SNRI, I found Pristiq and Cymbalta to have less sexual side-effects. But antidepressants are very idiosyncratic. One person may experience these side-effects on a medication while other's are okay. At the moment I'm on Brintellix, which has been fantastic. My mojo is as normal as it can be for a 32 year old guy. My new girlfriend and I are at it most days.

I'd be wary of the option of testosterone supplementation, especially given you can likely erectify :D your problems with a change to your current meds.

Good luck! Stick around. Will be interesting to know how you end up approaching this.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:45 pm 

I was on Effexor 75mg, 150mg, back to 75, and then to 37.5 mg's. It took me 3 months to do it but I finally got off of it by cutting my dose down 20% every two weeks. Within a few weeks my libido came back but not full force. My guess is because of the 6 mg's of Suboxone I take.

You say you want your libido back w/o stopping any of your meds. That's not going to happen. TJ said he had trouble having an orgasm while on Effexor, so did I. It also made me pee a lot during the night. Every drug we take has some sort of effect. Some unseen, some obvious. Effexors name is so apropo. Effects from Effexor. Spot on.

At 27, the only way to get back to semi normal would be to eliminate the Effexor and cut down your dose of Suboxone. If you're not willing or able to do those things then you best learn how to live with it until you do. When I was 27 my sex drive was through the roof so I hate to see you suffer from not having a normal sex life. No comment on the Clonopine as I have no experience with it.

Sorry I wasn't of much help. You'll get it worked out eventually.

rule

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

This is an old post and I am not sure if OP is currently visiting this forum, but I thought I would chime in with some experience on this topic. First off, the NUMBER ONE KILLER OF BONERS IS ANXIETY!! OP mentioned that he is afraid of not being able to perform during sex. This alone will cause problems because when it's time to be intimate OP is focused on his penis instead of his girlfriend. Since he says that sometimes it works ok it's probably not Low testosterone. I would be willing to bet it's mostly anxiety. If OP tells his girlfriend that he is worried about not performing, this will relieve some of the tension. Also after some time in the bedroom he will most likely begin to calm down and be comfortable, therefore allowing his body to naturally react to the sexual stimulus of his girlfriend. After a positive experience or two his anxiety will fade.

That is not to say that long term use of some drugs has been shown to cause low testosterone, especially at high doses, but seeing as he is able to perform sometimes, according to my research, this points to anxiety as the culprit. AS far as I have gathered if you have really low testosterone you won't be able to get a boner period.

So, if you are having a problem like this, first try and relax and talk about it with your partner. Once the anxiety is gone, then you can uncover the problem, if there even is one.

Juan L

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:03 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Are there any other WOMEN out there that have this problem???? All I have seen is men posting about this. I am 24 and only think of having sex very rarely. I assumed it was because of the suboxone because this happened when I went on it years ago before my relapse but I have lowered my dose A LOT from when I first got on it 2 years ago and have been stabilized at 6mg/day for over a year now.

Its really upsetting, I just don't get horny. I wish I had sex more but I seriously have no sex drive. Although I think some of it may be because of the sexual abuse I went through so much during active addiction that I don't feel comfortable with sharing my body now... And I love my boyfriend he is so good to me and understands as much as anyone can but this really sucks and it makes me feel bad. I got put on Wellbutrin in January for depression and supposedly in some it helps bring back sex drive a bit or not completely destroy it like most SSRIs do but I haven't noticed any improvement :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:30 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey Jess can't be a huge help but I can offer experience, my ex and I took suboxone for about 5 years and did opiates for 3-4 before that our sex life was always healthy u too about the last couple years on suboxone I started to have no desire at all to have sex. My ex on the other hand never had low drive due to the suboxone, I'm sure it's different for different people, I've been off suboxone for two months and my drive has definately returned along with appetite, but I think it's a testosterone thing for men, not sure if there's that same hormone issue for women.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:05 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yeah I don't like blaming everything that happens to me on the medications that I'm currently prescribed, and I hate when my Primary care DR does that. She is always pressuring me to get off suboxone every time I see her and it really pisses me off. Every time, "are you off suboxone yet??" no I'm not and I wont be until I feel ready! Having migraines as bad and often as I do, I definitely think I should not taper off until I get this pain under control or at least find a preventative that actually works.

I do believe every one is different too, each medication affects others differently in one way or another, and I think my past experiences have also affected that area of my life and the way I look at sex because I have been through some really effed up stuff when I was using, to get "the next one". Things I wish I could just forget because they changed me forever. I have even had my thyroid checked awhile back because my hair was falling out but supposedly everything was normal. So I'm sure not craving sex often has something to do with my past, and the way I see my physical self. because I have had no problem with appetite.. This is the heaviest I've ever been, sadly.

Ever since I went on methadone maintenance some years ago (before I relapsed), I blew up like a balloon and haven't been able to lose any weight since :( with me being only 5'2" according to the BMI chart I am considered just over the "obese" mark. That's upsetting. And being really constipated from suboxone doesn't help one bit. Some days I swear I look and feel pregnant I'll be soo bloated. And I would love to go to the gym regularly because I know I would feel better even just by getting out and being active but I never have any energy whatsoever.. dealing with excruciating migraines 3-5 days per week it really limits the things I can do... The very lucky, rare days I don't have a migraine my body is so exhausted from being in so much pain its like I need a full day just to recover. So I am kind of stuck :cry: But that is a whole other story! I thank you all for your posts here, It is comforting to know I'm not alone!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:11 pm 

Hi Jess, You are not alone! Unfortunately, in my case, I am also dealing with menopause, which we know, takes a toll on the desire for sex. I have discussed this before with other women here so we are not alone! Have a good day!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have a lot of trouble reaching orgasm. It's really giving my girlfriend a complex. She feels that I'm not attracted to her because I only finish about a quarter of the time. Meanwhile She can finish from me blowing on her haha. But I can tell it upsets her. Lately I make sure I'm always all over her and initiating sex a lot. But she's so bothered by it. Ladies what can I do to help her be at ease?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:38 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

How long have you been on suboxone Sulla? I would go through periods where I was like that but it was in the beginning when I first started taking suboxone. If your case is similar to mine it will eventually get back to normal.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:42 pm 

Hi, Does she know about your taking suboxone and the impact it is having on your sex drive? I am a firm believer in honesty always being the best policy! Sounds like you satisfy her and make sure you do so. As long as you keep communicating with each other, it should be fine.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been on Suboxone since 2008. Last year I got sentenced to one year in county jail. Philly allows inmates in county jail to remain on methadone while incarcerated. So I switched for that reason the last year. I've been back on Suboxone since February 29 (leap year). Thats When I came home.
My girlfriend knows about my medicine, we have no secrets. My sex drive is a monster. As you can imagion being in a cage with a years worth of pent up aggression haha.
But I hardly reach orgasm. She's being accepting but I can tell she's upset. I seen some links on our computer history about " making sex better for him". I feel dumb ha.
Tomorrow I'm going to try and wait to take my dose until after she gets home from work and after sex. Her job is hard and stressful, so I usually attack her soon as she walks through the door ha. I'm hoping the longer wait time will make me more sensitive and therefore finish quicker?
Anybody have any opinions on that? Ladies? Fellas? Anything I could say to her? She knows I love and adore her. But I want her to know I find her incredibly sexy and have a lot of desire for her.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:23 am 

I think u should try it for sure and see if it helps. U don't know if u don't try right? And u were lucky to be able to continue methadone in jail, shoot when I went to jail during my using days all I got was vistoril 3 times a day lol! Being in jail is memories of withdrawal for me, it sucked as u can imagine.

My fiance has heart issues, he isn't an addict but because of heart issues and a heart attack, for awhile he didn't feel the desire for sex. I felt like it was me at first. It's hard for a woman to understand that a guy cannot do it. We as women have been under the impression that a guy wants to do it 24/7 lol, so when it's not the case we automatically think it's our fault. So just make sure your significant other doesn't think it's her. I finally realized it was him and his heart medicine and antidepressant he'd just started, so being totally honest helps.....maybe not sexually but it helps mentally :)

Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks jenjenn. I've got a lot of support in this forum. It's an awesome resource.
The way Philly works is this. If an inmate is on methadone and gets incarcerated they keep the inmate on methadone. It has to be verified and your clinic has to fill out paperwork but They don't cut you off.Your dose also never changes the whole length of your imprisonment. So if your on 80 when you go in, you stay at 80.
They have entire blocks of the jail just for methadone inmates. But if you get arrested with another habit and have withdrawals.... They do nothing for you! Crazy right! I got arrested in Jersey while on methadone once. I was just expecting it to be like Philly, Nope! Haha
I was forced through withdrawals cold Turkey. I even had a seizure because of coming off xanax and they did nothing. Fast foreward 2 years later I was moved to a different prison , which was full of cheap drugs, and I ruined the 26 months clean I had.
I'm so over jail and prison. I'm really trying to have a normal life. And Suboxone is key for Me. My girl is only 25 so she wants kids and marriage. I'm slowly rebuilding. Thanks for hearing me out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:47 pm 

Hey Sulla, I think it is great that you are so concerned about your gf's satisfaction! She is very lucky to have you! My husband to recently had health issues that slowed down our activity. It was ok with me because between menopause and suboxone I am hardly ever in the mood! But, we keep the lines of communication open! We cuddle and make time for each other so our emotional connection is stronger than ever! I think that is most important!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:02 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey Sulla I do think waiting till after to take your dose should help. When I started my first taper and got under 1mg and had been going to the gym for a while I got to be the same way, it might be a hormone thing combined with the numbing effects of opiates. Once I started to taper back up on suboxone tho I got back to normal again. Im sure if you just explain to your girl that it's a physical thing and nothing to do with her she will understand.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Of course I care about her satisfaction, she's my baby ha. She's been through a lot because of my drug abuse. Were really close and very physical. She's 25 and just on fire all the time haha.
I have told her it's because of my medicine and nothing personal. Numbness... That's actually a decent word. I wouldn't say I'm numb. But less sensitive in General. I went out and bought KY Yours and Mine for us. Without being graphic I'm gonna try this tomorrow with her.
I haven't taken my dose yet today it's been over 30 hours and I feel really rough. I can't believe the how awful I feel actually, I'm only taking 8 milligrams a day. I hope I can hold out until after she's home. I really hope this idea helps us. She's been very "determined" the last few nights haha. I keep telling her I still enjoy her even though I don't always finish. But she's a hot girl and can't wrap her head around it. Also she has never abused drugs.
Thank you everybody for your concern. I know this might seem silly but it's really bothering her. So that makes it important to me. She's home at 6.. Can't wait, I need my dose. I just sneezed 4 Times in a row! Wish us luck!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Quick update. For anybody experiencing something similar, waiting to take your dose definitely helps.. The only issue with me is I had to wait 30 hours and by that time I was hurting pretty good. But wince this time I was definitely more sensitive my girlfriend is alittle more understanding. So my main goal was to help her understand I still consider this a success.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I call that a real success too.. I have been suffering from a low sex drive as well. I have only been on suboxone for 3 weeks so I can't blame it on that. All of the pain pills I was taking when I was using definitely put a damper on my girlfriend & I sex life. I hope I can get back to some normalcy after a while. She has been real understanding with everything and knows it's not her. I am on 16mg a day.