It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Low Dose Naltrexone
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:49 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Has anyone heard of the bennifits of low dose naltrexone for the production of endogenous opiates post opiate detox? Here is an overview: the normal does is around 50mg and that blocks the receptors for around a day. There is research that if one takes 1-5 mg at night the blockade effects lasts for 4-6hours and then there is a significant increase in natural endorphin production (up to 300%). There is some literature on line about this. Anyone have any experiences?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

No experience whatsoever with this. I have experience with High Dose Naltrexone. This is actually the first I've heard about the increase in endorphin level thing.

It's interesting, because I'm taking a 5-ht2 antagonist at the moment. I take it at night time, and what it does is downregulates the 5-ht2 (serotonin subtype) receptors so that by the morning, when the antagonist is out of my system (2 hour half life?), I'm much more sensitive to the serotonin that's floating around. So far it has an effect.

I'm not sure if that's the same kinda mechanism, but it's an interesting idea.

I'd be wary though. In my experience naltrexone's half life is quite long, and I do think that even with 5mg there will still be some antagonist stuff going on through the next day. It's main metabolite 6-β-naltrexol hangs around for a while, and has strong antagonist properties as well.

Naltrexone is a really funny drug though. Even though it's a full antagonist, I did notice it had some craving reduction effect.

If you go down this road, keep us posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:23 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Tear thanks for the reply. I am off suboxone for 7 weeks now and have been struggling with sporadic difficult days. I went strong for the fist month working out, eating right, vitamins etc. I had such a great sense of accomplishment getting off and now I am on no medications what so ever, but I am not so thrilled. I have been on "something" for 10 plus years and even though I went through hell, I miss it. It's almost like getting over a tough breakup- I almost miss the misery! WTF? Anyways, just felt like ranting. I do have a script of the Naltrexone but dont know if I will fill it. I will keep you posted.