It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Lovely side effect
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:38 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Well, this is an awesome side effect, but pardon the TMI. I always had horrid cramps at my time of the month..so bad I would need narcotics and 800mg ibuprofen every 4 hours and it still didn't help. This month, my first month on subs, and I literally took 3 advil and my sub, and it killed the pain 100%!!!! So, suboxone is a good pain killer! Cause my cramps were usually killer and this time it has made them pretty un-noticeable! So, for anyone wondering if sub helps pain, in my opinion, it does! This actually makes me feel better if I need surgery, because honestly I am wondering if advil and sub would be all I need post-surgery for pain?! So excited about this! Considering I may have ovarian surgery soon, this is awesome!
Maya

Post subject: Re: Lovely side effect
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:08 am 

I had a laparoscopic procedure performed over a year ago and the suboxone helped with the pain a lot! I'm certainly glad it helped with your cramps. :) Nice monthly benefit!

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:25 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Amy-Work In Progress wrote:
I had a laparoscopic procedure performed over a year ago and the suboxone helped with the pain a lot! I'm certainly glad it helped with your cramps. :) Nice monthly benefit!

Amy

Thanks Amy! That is great--I am likely having a laproscopic procedure done too....what did you do pain wise? did you just do your suboxone or did you also do something else?? Very interested to hear what happened with that! Thanks, Maya

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:28 pm 

Let's see. My surgeon gave me 10mg oxycodone which my sub doctor knew about. My doctor had also given me extra sub. So that's what I used.

My pain was managed fine once I left the hospital, but immediately after the procedure when I woke up in the recovery unit my pain was bad! I had spoken to the surgeon and the anesthesiologist about the fact that I was on suboxone, but I guess I should have informed the nurses beforehand too. They kept pushing morphine, which wasn't doing a dang thing. Finally they figured it out and started putting heavier stuff in my IV. Try to make sure everyone knows what it means that you are on suboxone.

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I generally give patients having surgery 15 mg of oxycodone every 4 hours. I also have them reduce their dose of buprenorphine by 50%-- but I can't honestly say for certain whether that makes a difference or not. But 15 mg of oxycodone seems to be enough to handle most post-op situations...

Morphine, on the other hand, is hard to give at high-enough doses to overcome buprenorphine. When you give morphine IV, histamine is released-- causing itching and possibly decreases in blood pressure. The synthetic opioids like fentanyl and oxycodone are much better choices.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:32 pm 

I should also have mentioned that I was on 2mg of sub per day at the time, which is why I think my doctor didn't recommend that I lower the dose.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:18 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks everyone! I will let my doctors and the anesthesiologist know and hope to God they listen and will manage my pain while I am at the hospital. All I know is the sub does help me with pain because it helped my horrid cramps and made them pretty much unnoticeable which has never happened in my life!