It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:13 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

this is my story...my boyfriend and I have been togethers 2 years this may and has through the entire time of our relationship been addicted to several chemical dependency drugs. being ignorant to it all i helped buy drugs to keep him from having withdrawals. call me naive but i had no idea that i was enabling him instead of recognizing it was an issue. he kept telling me that his back was hurtin and only the pills could make it better. he had lost his job 2 weeks after we moved in together and he was having a hard time finding another one and i on the other hand was working a commissioned based job in a poor economy. i couldnt maintain a constant flow of income to keep us afloat of the bills and maintain his addiction. once it got really bad to where we were getting threatened with eviction notices every week and any little money we got was going towards pills i finally said enough was enough and cried him all the way to a weekend detox center...see what was never said to us was that we should have had a program set up for him once he got out of the weekend detox center because the weekend alone wouldnt clean him...however we were never given this information so once he got out of the detox center he was left with withdrawals from the suboxone they gave him in there and just let him go...so he started coping the suboxone off the street until i could set him up with pac insurance to get him into a group...after several months he finally was approved for a group and he had began the long road to recovery. at the same time i had just got a fulltime job paying decent money...after only a month things began to fall apart for me eventhough i had the fulltime job we were so behind on the bills that no one was willing to work with us anymore and gave us until the end of the month to pay $1000 for rent and $600 for the car or else...having no one on my side of the family to turn to we decided to move in with his family which lived 2 hrs away...so we started living with them and ended up getting him into a different program and our new residence. he was doing great with his program and finding work here and there...see he is in construction so work is very hard to find....then it happens. he missed 2 groups and when the counselor was tryna call him he would avoid her calls and due to no response from her she immediately discharged him from the program..I couldnt believed that they just let him go but at the same time he shouldnt have avoided her calls to find out why he missed 2 groups. well his dr didnt want to just cut him loose so he kept prescribing the suboxone everyweek and said he would do this until my boyfriend found a new program...well we needed to get his insurance switched over from where we used to live to where we live now and find a program...i left this responsibility in his hands because i thought he could handle it. however he procrastinated (sp?) and finally his dr decided to cut him off completely. due to this he began buying the suboxone off the streets and it was working while i looked for a new program that would accept his insurance. well suboxones are hard to find where we live and his dealers most of the time would have suboxone but every now and then they would only have herion and he dreaded the thought of withdrawals so when the dealers would only have herion he would start using that....i began to notice his changes and lack of energy to do anything and started to see his video game collection depleat and finally when he decided to sell his gaming console after i already gave him money to get suboxone i knew there was a problem...finally his mother contacted me and advised me that he was taking herion and we decided to band together as a family and do an intervention. he was having thoughts of suicide so we suggested to buy more time that he go to the er to let them know he was having suicidal thoughts so that they could keep an eye on him while we look for immediate help. the er didnt do much but give him ativan and they advised what places had beds available for rehab the next day...well when i called both places the next morning they advised me that they will not accept his insurance so we had to give him more ativan to knock him out til we found a place...finally after talking with the same program that discharged him and cut him off completely they advised me of a place back where we used to live...7 day stay of detoxing or he can stay til he feels better (as long or little as he likes) so i drove him 2 hrs to be there this morning by 7am...get there and get him registered and he is currently there dealing with one of the biggest challenges of his life again...i just want him to get better and be the man that he can be for our family...i can not turn my back on someone anyone who needs help whether im their girlfriend or best friend its too hard for me to do that to him...but im wondering when will enough be enough??? not really asking questions here just wanted to share my story of being in love with any addict.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:08 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Welcome.

Geez. Where shall I begin? First, you are a great person for being so strong and giving him so many chances! I know I messed up several relationships that should not have been messed up because of my addiction. He is VERY LUCKY! I am so sorry that you have had to deal with this though. It must be so hard for you watching somebody fall that you love, because of addiction (coming from a non-addict's eyes).

It sounds like to me that he was doing rather well when on bupe (suboxone/subutex) maintenance. It is a shame that boom, he misses two meetings and he is kicked out of the program (for what happened with his old program). Even though, he really should have answered or called back. I am not judging nor preaching! Addiction is such an unpredictable and predictable 'thing'. We know that it can ruin our lives, but we don't know what we will end up doing, until we do it. If that makes sense. I highly doubt that he is trying to hurt you (or himself) on purpose. I think that by staying away from the streets he will maximize his chance for success, and to stick with the experts and doctors as far as the suboxone.

I really, really hope that he does well in this 7 day detox. I don't know what will happen once he gets out, but remember if things are going not so well, it is much better to get back into a legit suboxone/subutex program with a doctor, then it is to go to the streets for the subs, or worse.... using again. I know either way it is going to be difficult. Please consider going back into suboxone program if he can't handle and will use again. It is NOT a failure to go back to subs, but instead it would be a smart move IF need be.

He has to want to get better to be able to, and it sounds like he does. For me, I could not do it cold turkey or without suboxone and support....but that is just me. I am not a doctor/expert, just a recovering addict on Suboxone for over 8 months (clean as of 6-20-2009) and I am just give you my PERSONAL advice/experience. Please just ask if I can help with anything! Good luck and we are hoping for the best for the two of yous! Take Care!

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." ---Salvador Dali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow Lost, I really feel for you. As an addict myself I constantly wonder why anyone in their right mind would choose to be with me knowing that all of a sudden I could relapse and potentially overdose. I know that sounds dramatic but unfortunately that's just how opiate addiction is. I've cried many times thinking about how I don't really deserve the person I'm with and as such I really have to hand it to you for sticking with him. I understand people can only take so much but just please try and keep in mind that he's not trying to destroy himself or your relationship. Opiate addiction just really sucks sometimes. I have found remission using Suboxone/buprenorphine maintenance with a doctor that doesn't require me to go to meetings, groups, counciling etc. I hope you guys may be able to find a doctor like mine as well. I'm sure if you do a google search for bupe doctor locater you can get some numbers of docs nearby and find out what they require of patients for them to stay in treatment. One last thing that really makes me sick however is that they kicked him out of the program for missing counciling....... Anyone experienced with opiate addiction knows damn well what happens when you kick an opiate addict off of maintenance meds, I really wish there was some way to hold those programs accountable but there isn't and maybe many of those people don't have any trouble worrying about what will happen to someone they kick out of the program but in my opinion they really deserve some blame for opiate addicts that die after being kicked out for a failed drug screen, missing meetings, missing an appointment here and there, etc. Again anyone working with opiate addicts knows it's a chronic disease and although relapse doesn't have to happen to all opiate addicts it does to many unfortunately. My best advice from the situation you've described would be to hopefully find a doctor that is more sympathetic/educated to/about opiate addicts and just keep trying to find a way to keep him on the medication even if it has to be for the rest of his life. I'm also not sure how much money methadone clinics cost where you're at but if it's cheaper and that's all you guys can afford for now it will be another way of having a halfway decent chance of keeping him clean. Anywho I would just like to thank you and all others who put up with their opiate addict significant other. I hope you guys can work things out and hopefully soon you'll be posting about his success. Hang in there..
Matt