It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Am I on too many meds? Is this a sustainable regimen? Bupe really improves my mood, it acts almost like a stabilizer/mild antidepressant. I'm thinking about dropping some meds but which ones? Am I on too much bupe? Just got back on 16mg again. Apparently, I'm on a lot? Well I know it's supposed to be a lot. I got off bupe in January and got back on it beginning of October '16.

Suboxone [buprenorphine/naloxone film] 8mg/2mg BID
Sertraline [Zoloft] 100mg TT (200mg) QD
Aplenzin 348mg (bupropion [Wellbutrin] hbr) QAM
Aripiprazole [Abilify] 10mg QD
Amitriptyline [Elavil] 50mg QHS
Quetiapine [Seroquel IR] 50mg QHS
Deplin [L-methylfolate] 15mg QD
Baclofen [Lioresal] 20mg TID
Gabapentin [Neurontin] 300mg TID
Topiramate [Topamax] 50mg BID
Propranolol [Inderal] 60mg TID
Omeprazole [Prilosec] 40mg QD

You can see how much my meds have changed since December 5th, 2015 when I made my 1st post (this post is my second) The meds listed on my first post:

Subutex 8mg/2mg BID
Pristiq 50mg QD
Aplenzin (hydrobromide Wellbutrin) 348mg QD
Remeron 15 - 30mg QHS
Neurontin 1,200mg BID
Lisinopril 20mg QD
Omeprazole 40mg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That is a shitload of medications! Are you sure it's not putting your liver / kidneys under stress?

There have been times where I've been on as many as 5 different psych meds. Even that felt like too many. I also found that I could usually drop a couple without too many problems.

I personally couldn't let myself be on that many medications. But each to our own. Maybe you need that many?

Have you got a second opinion at all? Also prescribing a TCA and a SSRI is quite controversial. It isn't done at all in my country as far as I know.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good gracious alive! You aint whistling Dixie that IS A MESS LOAD of meds! The Neurontin 1,200 mg twice a day would have my butt in the bed all day!! Yes hun, that does seam like an awful lot but I'm going to tell ya. I've known psyc. patients dealing with depression and anxiety take quit q bit so you are not alone. I take it you were on all this before you got on the Suboxone. It seems to improve my mood too.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:12 pm 

Hi Welcome! My question is are they working? That is what is most important! It takes a long time to find the right and most effective combination. Don't really concern yourself with the amount. Look to get a regime that works for you! You can always work to lower things in the future! Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm in impatient rehab right now, the doctor here thinks I should go off some of these meds, but we are both not sure of which ones. I am doing BETTER THAN EVER since my childhood in terms of happiness, etc. I'm in a very expensive $750/day rehab tho so that might have something to do with it lol. I'll be here for 90 days, I'm on day 19 so we got some time to adjust some things, the doctor cut my Abilify in half from 20 to 10mg last week.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well congratulations on getting in rehab, and good luck with that Abilify cut. Well this is very neat to me that your in rehab at the moment. 90 days huh? Well good for you. I wish you the very best. Remember, NO FRATINIZING while there. Got myself kicked out of rehab for that very reason. I wasn't but 16 so I wasn't taking it seriously. I've been through a few rehabs. Do they do guided imagery there? It's a therapy class where you close your eyes and relax, and take deep breathes. They lead you through all type stuff in your mind. It was all very interesting to me though. Some thought it was silly. Most went to sleep during it. Sorry I'm rambling and going on like this. BTW, Couldn't help but notice your name LouisianaSportsman. Since I'm from Bama that kinda makes us neighbors compared to the most on this forum. Welcome, and keep us posted. ttyl Bama girl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey LouisianaSportsman:

That's a lot of psych meds that you're on! At this point, how do you know what's working, and what's not working? You're on three antidepressants (Elavil, Zoloft, Welbutrin) two atypical antipsychotics (Abilify, Seroquel,) and two mood-stabilizers (Topamax, Neurontin).
Did your psychiatrist prior to rehab keep adding meds because the ones you were on weren't working? I would be curious to know how this list grew, in order to comment more.

I have treatment-resistant depression and am on a lot of psych meds too, but not quite the number you're on. Here's my regimen:

Abilify 10 mg/qam
Celexa 40 mg/qam
Welbutrin 75 mg/qam
Ritalin 20 mg/bid
Oxazepam 15 mg/prn and qhs
Subutex 4 mg qam/8 mg qhs

This psych med combo has been working very well for me. Last Fall was the first time in years that I didn't go into an extreme seasonal funk. When my depression began acting up this past Spring, my psychiatrist added the Welbutrin, which kicked me right out of the depression.

Now, usually the Celexa will stop working at some point. When that happens, my psychiatrist swaps it out for approximately 200 mg of Zoloft. And, when that stops working, we go back to the Celexa. And round and round it goes. I've been doing this Celexa/Zoloft swap for at least 15 years, as these are the only SSRIs that help me.

I've had major depression for a little over 30 years now. I've tried everything, and the list I have posted is the one that works best. Now, I'm not saying that you should be on my regimen--psych meds are very tricky, and everyone is different. I was just thinking that since you're in rehab for another couple of months, you have the time to cut down/experiment with your psychiatrist.

Good luck, and let me know where you're at.

"Knowledge is power"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi gw- That's a pretty good list you have there your self. I am so glad it's working for you. That's the important thing. I have been on two of those myself. Wellbutrin and Celexa. When I was on Celexa, the Dr. changed me to Lexapro and said they were basically the same, just Lexapro was newer and had less effect on the parts of the brain that didn't matter there for less side effects. You might want to check into that if you ever have any trouble with the celexa.--Bamagirl