It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:51 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Crap Crap crap.

So tonight I flew home from California (for work - I travel A LOT). When I boarded the flight in San Diego they stopped me at the gate and told me my second carry-on bag, with laptop, a couple toiletries, and my sub prescription, had be to checked as they had no room for secondary carry-ons. This has happened to me once or twice before, so I said fine. I get to Milwaukee, and guess what . . . my checked carry-on was lost. Unreal. This just happened.

I have one strip in my wallet, it was tonight's dose that I was going take on my long 4 hour drive from the airport to my home . . . but when all this happened I skipped it realizing it was all the suboxone I have in the world. My appointment is Monday the 15th. So I lost like 5 or 6 days of meds. I've been in this program for 2.5 years, appointments every 30-60 days. I've never missed one, never been short ONE strip, never failed a drug test, nothing. CRAP! I take 8mg/day (two 4mg strips).

I filled out a missing luggage form, spoke to the lost luggage desk, but that's all that can be done for now. It could show up tomorrow, or in two weeks, that's word-for-word what they told me. They sounded pretty sure it'd show up eventually, just no idea of time-frame, for obvious reasons.

What do I do? I'm so stressed right now my head is pounding, throbbing. I'm pretty terrified. As if I'm not under enough stress . . . I'm just pacing. Do I call my doctor tomorrow morning? Try to survive Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday with just 4mg? Would they even do anything? Would I get in trouble? They're nice to me and all, but I've never had so much as a tiny blip of negative anything since I began. I do have a contract, though not with me, it limits where I can fill the prescription, etc., but it's been so long since I've read it I'm not sure how it applies to this. I'm not even sure I still have it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Suboxone quite literally saved my life. I've turned it around completely since starting suboxone. I've been tapering from 24mg to 8mg over the last 6 months, to be honest I've been having a tough time at 8mg but that's neither here nor there. I'm mid-30's, full-time employment, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Do you have a copy of the lost luggage report? IF you are as clean as you report, my response would be MEH, carry on. Fill a few days early and drive on. Even if there had been some glitches in the journey I would refill, but some will some be total Richards.
If you decide to white knuckle it till the bag arrives then take quarter or eighth slivers of your remaining strip and may be able to ride it out another 36 hours before it really hits.
good luck

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:11 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you for your reply, and forgive my ignorance, but what does "MEH" mean? I wasn't sure if that was an acronym, or just a term I'm unfamiliar with?

I don't have any refills. I see my doctor in 5 days at which time I'd obtain a refill. Something I didn't think about when I made my original post, what if I'm drug tested Monday? All our tests are lab evaluated, complete with levels, though it's never been a concern for me before. To be honest I have a pretty decent relationship with my doc, but I'd guess that's (at least) partly because I've never strained that relationship . . . I haven't been drug tested in quite a while, 4 or 5 months at least, despite having 3-4 office visits during that time. I was getting tested at every single one the whole time, but then like 4 or 5 months ago they just stopped, for no reason.

I cannot believe this happened. I am really stressed right now. I don't know what to do. Do I call? Do I just take 1mg/day Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday? Will I feel alright?

As for the lost luggage claim, yes, they printed me a copy while I was there . . . it's pretty basic though. ARgh . . . .

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:17 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello Illyrium,
I would be honest and call my DR to explain what has happened and that you have proof your property is missing. If you have a reliable history and good rapport and he has the means, he may be able to help you.
Otherwise, split the 8 over the remaining days and let the DR know this will be your only option if he isn't able to help. You shouldn't feel too bad I wouldn't think.
Hope it works out for you!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

MEH, I think it is Yiddish but conveys a verbal shrug, as in no big deal. At least in the context I used it.

Quote:
I am really stressed right now. I don't know what to do. Do I call?

If you were my patient I would want you to call. That kind of stress puts a person at high risk for lapse, or even relapse. Even if you get a negative response you know where you now stand and what you must do for a few days. If you get enough to cover or an early refill problem solved.

Quote:
Do I just take 1mg/day Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday? Will I feel alright?
Probably not, but it would take the edge off. Others may have ideas to do, distraction, baths, supplements etc. If you can swing the cutting even a 1/2 mg twice a day might be better than l mg a day. You should have enough buprenorphine in your system to carry you through most of this and still have a positive UA Monday if taking a mg Sat and Sun.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:57 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you all for your comments.

This morning I decided to call my counselor to get her advice, as counseling is required when in the Suboxone treatment program. She, too, advised I call.

I put a call into the nurse about 1/2 hour ago. What a day. I'm just going to tell them the truth, what happened, and that I'm not asking them to replace my medication (unless they want to), just informing them what happened and asking how they want me to proceed until my appointment.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

OMG that is my worst fear. Losing my meds . So sorry this happened to you.

I would strongly suggest if you can in the future to stash a few extra. If you have a extra strip here and there that you do not take, just put them away for emergencies like this. I ry to save a few extra every month to build up a stock pile for the "what ifs".

It sounds like your doc is a reasonable guy and you have a good rapport with him.

I am certain you will not have a problem getting this sorted out with the doctors office.

Good luck to you.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:41 pm 

Hey Illyrium I sure hope things worked out for u. That's truly a nightmare to have ur luggage lost with ur medication inside. That's the kind of luck that I'd have for sure. I agree with the others about calling ur Dr, this absolutely wasn't ur fault and bad luck happens. I hope ur Dr understands or u find ur bag, either way. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

if it was just your prescription then I'm sure they could help you somehow. they can check to see if you got it filled and when it comes back that you did not fill it plus the fact that you have the lost luggage proof I'm sure they could write you another script. let us all know what happens!!