It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:02 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey, everyone. I've had a bad day. After two years of working my butt off at a job I get told today that they can't afford to keep me on anymore. There's a longer story to this, though. The person I worked for runs an AFH for developmentally disabled adults. She used to have two homes and one was run by one woman who quit when that home was sold as a separate business and I went over to the other place to continue working for the owner at the home she decided to keep. Well, the other person agrees to come back part time only during the week and that I'd still have my weekend shifts. I get there today and find out that my shift is being covered and that the boss told the other worker that I'd called in, which I hadn't, and she, the other worker, says that there's no way she's working every weekend and that she thought she made it clear she only wants 20 hours a week and had no idea I was being let go. I get a text this evening from the other girl frustrated, not knowing how to handle the work and saying she is only working this weekend. Basically the owner screwed herself by letting me go. But, honestly, I'm glad for it.

It was the most emotionally exhausting place I've ever worked at. I'm not talking about the residents. I loved the residents. They were no trouble at all. I'm talking about the owner. She's the most self-serving, manipulative, nitpicky person I have ever encountered. Her turn-over rate for employees is just laughable. I was the only one who'd stuck it out the longest and I stayed for the residents mostly, though there were many times I've wanted to quit. Many, many times. Nothing I did was ever good enough. Even if I spent all day on my hands and knees scrubbing the floors, which I often did, I'd get a note the next weekend saying I didn't hang the mop up properly at a certain angle or I don't clean the house well enough, which is bull, I spent most of my time cleaning that house. She wants the entire house deep-cleaned every weekend, and we're not allowed to use the dryer. Everything, even towels have to hung up to dry to save money, and I also took care of her adult autistic son 'off the record', I wasn't paid to be his caregiver and he was just a weekend 'visitor' at the home but needs care like everyone else there. Basically, his mom uses her caregivers as 'babysitters'.

The way I found out I didn't have a job was an email she said she sent but that I never got and a brief phone call saying she couldn't afford to keep both me and the other person. The other person was like, "What? She said you called in and asked me cover for you this weekend! I had no idea she was letting you go! She is out of her ever-loving mind if she thinks I'm working every weekend!"

Well, the owner only has one employee now and she was complaining about being overworked before. She is gonna be even more overworked now, especially since I can already tell the other person is like, "This is what it's like working for her? Oh hell no!" and decides to quit, too. I'm not going back if she begged me. What really gets to me is all her talk about how much she likes me, what a great caregiver I am and that I'll have a job with her for as long as I want. All a bunch of talk.

I'm not worried about finding another job. There are tons of opportunities out there for a hard-working, caring CNA. I just had to vent for a bit. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

~Ami

My sweet girls; Hermione & Ginny. My little adopted fur-babies since summer 2013! ^__^

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:17 am 

CNAs are a special breed of people! It's so much grunt work and so much caring. I think that you will find a great new job where you are appreciated for the hard work you do!

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

CNA's would be a bargain at twice their usual rate. Good luck and I hope you land somewhere that appreciates your talents and commitment.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:22 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks, guys! I really appreciate the support. I was feeling very angry and hurt before, but after some time to reflect, I realized that it's probably a blessing in disguise and I know it won't take me long to find another, hopefully much better, position. ^_^

~Ami

My sweet girls; Hermione & Ginny. My little adopted fur-babies since summer 2013! ^__^