It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:11 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ever since I started taking suboxone I have noticed my hands will let go off things randomly like my cigarette or coffee. I thought at first it was because I was nodding out on the medication but I'm still doing it 3 years later and now my body seems to jerk real hard sometimes like when your about to fall asleep sometimes and you jerk but it happens anytime especially if I haven't been sleeping enough. I wanted to know if anyone has experienced this or if I'm just going crazy or it's a nerve problem.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:05 pm 

Hard to say what it is. Even in large doses, Suboxone doesn't do stuff like that. Sounds like you're nodding off from lack of sleep IMO.

I personally have not read anything like what you describe. It's best to ask your doctor.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Holy shit I thought it was just me. I have experienced this too. I was very quick to NOT blame suboxone. But I will take this as a benign side effect if I have too. For me it happens at night about 3 times every night. It is like my nerves go haywire.

I am also thinking it has something to due with my previous addiction to Benzos as well. I had 3 seizures several years ago and my body seems to jerk like that afterward. It went away after rehab but when I got on Suboxone, it came up again. Not sure, but I don't think it is life threatening. But.. just good to know you are NOT crazy.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:01 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I definitely experience the body jerks that happen when your laying down or about to sleep for sure. Not sure what this is but you aren't alone.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:42 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have done the jerk thing when you are about to fall asleep and something doesn't want you to and jerks you out of it. I am not sure what that could be, but I have done that as long as I can remember even before the Suboxone. I have a finger twitching fit every so often, but it mostly occurs if I am stressed out about something real hard. The jerking out of sleep is more annoying than anything, because when I do that I wake up craving chocolate for some odd reason. I am a weird sleeper anyways, if I wake up before time to get up I have to eat. Most of the time it is something sweet, not sure what causes that.
I hate the nod off too, it doesn't matter if I take 2mg of Sub or 16mg of it, I still nod off. I don't think that I am getting enough sleep though at night. I stay up late, because I don't get tired until about 1AM. Then I am in and out until he leaves in the morning. I did sleep good last night but the more that I talk about sleeping, the sleepier that I am getting LOL.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Wow same stuff happens to me. I will be out back having a smoke and all of the sudden I have nodded off and my smoke is on the ground. I have burned 2 robes so far to this. Also my boyfriend freaks out on me when sitting on the couch or falling asleep I do the "space out" jerk thing. Not sure this is good or bad. With me it is just is!

Ciao

Kristi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

kns67 wrote:
Wow same stuff happens to me. I will be out back having a smoke and all of the sudden I have nodded off and my smoke is on the ground. I have burned 2 robes so far to this. Also my boyfriend freaks out on me when sitting on the couch or falling asleep I do the "space out" jerk thing. Not sure this is good or bad. With me it is just is!

Ciao

Kristi

YouR dose is too high, my dear. You should not be nodding out or burning cig holes. :wink: How long have you been on suboxone?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Tinydancer. I have been on sub's for a little over a yr and at now at present I am on subutex 8/2 mg a day, If I even take that much in a day. I believe the nodding has a bit to do with exhaustion. I may sleep only 4 hrs a night with a hr nap during the day. IDK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:54 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I can take 2mg a day or 8mg a day, if I don't get good sleep I will nod off as well. I am getting better, but I don't sleep good at all unless I just wear myself completely down. Wear myself down to the point that I can barely lift a limb. That is the only way that I can sleep halfway decent. The nodding was real bad when I first started, I burned quite a few things (carpet/clothes/chair). Now not so much, and it didn't seem to matter how much I actually took but how much sleep I actually got. The jerks are getting on my nerves bad though I guess literally LOL.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:53 pm 

Looks like a few others have the same problem. I still don't think it's related to Suboxone, or if it is, your dose is too high. You should still talk to your doctor about it.

The jerking awake when you're first falling asleep is called a myoclonic jerk. I think it happens when your brain goes into alpha a bit too fast. And then Wham, you jerk awake and try it again. I didn't bother to Google it, I'm just going by memory of psych I.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Pitbullmomma. Good to hear I am not the only one burning things. I like what you mentioned. Regarding the lack of sleep correlating to the nodding more so than the mg of sub.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There's a lot of anecdotal reports of myoclonic jerks from buprenorphine / Suboxone. A quick google shows you guys are not alone. And I often feel the full body jerk hit me when starting to fall asleep. Usually it's a sign I'm starting to relax. I often get a quick hit of euphoria and a brain zap like fleeting sensation, so I'm not really complaining.

I have experienced arm jerks, though at that point in my life (earlier this year) I had a lot of stuff going on mentally and physically, so I can't attribute it to Suboxone entirely.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:52 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

My husband has them when he's just falling asleep, usually if he has taken too long to take his sub &/or is coming off of them. And we've never taken more then 1mg a day usually half that. Good to know he's not the only one! It sure is annoying for the other person, LOL. As I'm sure it's just annoying for the person it's happening to! Especially because it wakes him up again!