It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: ?losing my good doc?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:57 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I could possibly have to find a new doctor or just stop suboxone again. I've quit once but after four months i decided it was my best option for my back and leg pain. If anyone lives in within 100 miles of louisville kentucky (approxamatly) and knows of a doc that could possibly take over pain management for me with sub please let me know. I really don't want to go to an office any more than once a month at the most. I have insurance. Im hoping i don't lose my doc he is a one in a million when it comes to caring and so on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey wade,

I live in the extreme southern part of Kentucky and my doctor was actually in Northern Tennessee. It would be a 2.5 hr drive for you, I-65 pretty much straight through. She's expensive, but I am pretty certain she has openings. If your at all interested, let me know and I'll PM you some more info about her.

I would post some info right here on the site, but there are some things about her I'd like to tell you that I'd rather not go into here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:08 pm 
If you are only on sub for pain managment and not for addiction you can get any doctor to Rx you suboxone, they only need the special waiver to Rx it for addiction. You probably already knew that I just thought Id toss it out there if you may not have.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:15 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey subowned. I tried to get my old sub doc to give me sub for pain one time about 6 months ago andthey said no because it was not labeled for pain. So all info you have i would appreciate it. Just in case i ever have trouble with my good doctor i don't want to lose. Thanks. Waiver? What?

Post subject: Dr. In Indy
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wade
I know of one in Indy......straight shot up I-65. He doesn't take insurance but charges $100 a month and will prescribe generic subutex. I know you said you do not want to go to monthly visits anymore and spend that kind of money when you have insurance. Believe me I understand I have great inusrance and I have to pay $175 a month for the doctor I see now becaused I moved. If your interested let me know and I will give you his information. He is very cool and will work with your schedule and will always try to work you in especially if you travel to see him. I spoke to my PCP about getting sub for pain management and he went to his partners because he actually was considering it but wanted their opinion.....He actually told me they said NO that they did not want addicts sitting in the waiting room. He was embarassed to tell me this but I actually appreciated it because I find him to be very honest and caring. Anyway if you have no luck let me know I will give you my old doctor's information.

Jm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:11 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Reading all these posts is totally reinforcing pretty much the only fears I have had since starting Sub more than 2 years ago. It might sound stupid, but to help with that, let me just say: Suboxone literally saved my life. Before I got on Sub, I was wandering the streets daily looking for money for my next fix; each day I woke up hating that I "had" to get my fix. I had no friends, no family, no place to live, no stability...all the things addiction causes.

Suboxone changed all that in every way. I am now so close to having a college degree; I have rebuilt my life in so many ways including family, friends, RESPONSIBILITY, and basically just living a NORMAL, productive life, and DAMN does it feel GOOD.

As far as I'm concerned, at least right now, having an opiate in my system is a necessity. My long term abuse has changed chemicals in my brain and it's just a necessity. Luckily, Suboxone fulfills that need in every positive way with no negatives. I have a great doctor and great relationship with the doctor. But, what happens if my doctor moves? What happens when my doctor decides to retire? What happens if the doc dies from a car accident or some other means? There a couple other treatment centers around here, but I most certainly would have to be on a waiting list for some time. Having my medicine ripped from me so quickly I am almost certain would derail my life..and that prospect is literally terrifying. I just can't even imagine having to go through it, ESPECIALLY after having been stable for what seems like so long now, and having such a normal, responsible life, with very little drama, very little unpredictability. I just can't imagine being able to handle it. I think to myself, "That just CAN NOT happen. No, no, it just CAN-NOT-HAPPEN" It would not be good. I like having control over my life now, for the first time in almost a decade, and I *hate* that there is this one worry that envelopes me.....

I don't ask my doctor because I am afraid my doctor will think I'm acting like a "drug addict", or being unreasonable. And I know that even at first glance, it might seem unreasonable.. But the fact is...this medicine provided me with the means to have a responsible, product life, and the ability to achieve success and BE HAPPY. Having remembered what my life USED to be, and having been experiencing how my life is NOW, the idea of going back to the way it used to be is TERRIBLY, TERRIBLY frightening for me....

Hopefully someone can relate.... I wish I could calm this fear..It would lift such a burden...

I mean, what would happen. Would I go to the ER and get enough medicine to last me through the waiting list? No, I highly doubt that. So many places still treat addicts horribily; they don't treat addiction as the disease it was. I know if i was a diabetic and the doctor who gave me my insulin was no longer available, the ER would help in an instant...But in the case of Suboxone, I just don't think so.... Would my doctor's office find me a doctor to prescribe it to me until I got in to another place? Would my office be able to put me in the front of a waiting list somewhere else, considering I have been on it long term and they figure it is more important for me to stay on it and push someone else who has never taken it down on the waiting list? I don't know what would happen! I'm pretty sure none of the above things would happen.

And in closing, I hate that I have so much control over my life, yet the biggest and most important thing of all, I have no control over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You certainly do have control over it. I used to save the leftovers and cut my dose slightly to make leftovers for this very reason. I, like you, was deathly afraid of all the what ifs? (which you covered nicely)

I was on a monthly visit schedule with my sub doctor, but the receptionist would always schedule my next appointment a few days earlier than the 30 day supply of suboxone I would get. There's several pills right there.

When I was taking 16mg/day I would cut a pill in half every 4th or 5th day and started saving those up too.

I very quickly built up to a weeks worth of meds, then 2 weeks worth and finally settled at a months supply.

A couple of weeks to a month is plenty of time to find a new doctor. Believe me, you'll be on the phone day and night until somebody, somewhere says come on in. You might have to drive 100 miles, but you'll have your meds.

So, try to build up a buffer and don't let the what ifs get to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:34 pm 
I highly doubt that if something happens to the doctor, that they can just leave patients on this type of medicine hanging with nothing. Thats putting the patient in danger big time. I pretty sure they would have to refer you to another doctor or something. That just doesnt seem like something they could do. I know it can happen but surely they are responsible for reffering you to someone else. Otherwise they would have a lawsuit it seems, especially with all the patients that doctor would be putting in danger. Thats my thoughts on that. Hope it helps you some. I know i have a good month or more worth extra just because when you taper their is leftover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:47 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks for the help. The problem i have is i raise my son alone his mom has passed. Im 34. My parents helped me last time paying my methadone and then paying my deposit for suboxone. So my mom watches my 5yr old while i work and i live in an apartment right beside my moms house. I never told them that i got back on subox after 5 months off of it. I really am worried that i would have to go to an appointment every month. Right now i don't have to hardly go to the doctor but every 3 months. I love my son to death and want what's best for him and paying a big dr bill and doctors appointments constantly would create many problems for me. I just pray everything can work out because i really need my doctor we have a super close patient/ doctor relationship. Happy hollidays everybody. And i know that God will take care of me either way.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:38 pm 
Appreciate the info, it’s good to know.