It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Oh lord.....
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:00 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Sooo please tell me I'm not the only person on here who has heard of Danzig, the man who is suing everybody? If not look it up but actually read one of the articles on buzzfeed or wherever else it's worth the time.

Post subject: Re: Oh lord.....
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Glenn Danzig, from the rock group Danzig?

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:06 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Maybe he's a musician and my bf told me he was a member of the misfits but I think he read the article wrong because I later read it and it says that he's suing a former member of the misfits for such and such.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:11 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Yep, Glen Danzig.

He started the Misfits in the late 70's, had a project called Samhain after that released a couple records and now (and has been since the 80s) is solo as Danzig.

540 Greenhaven Road #201|Anoka, MN 55303
(763)250.0702
http://www.facebook.com/TpnServiceCompanies
Person-centered counseling, education, advocacy, referral services and assessments.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Travis, I somehow didn't have you pegged as a Danzig fan? Your cool points just multiplied exponentially!! Now if we could just get Amy to listen to some decent music. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 2:11 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Dude, I came up in the hardcore scene in Minneapolis, the Misfits first album Walk Among Us is a top 20 for me to this day!

(763)250.0702
Person-centered counseling, education, advocacy, referral services and assessments.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 2:20 pm 

Romeo wrote:
Travis, I somehow didn't have you pegged as a Danzig fan? Your cool points just multiplied exponentially!! Now if we could just get Amy to listen to some decent music. :)

And how do we know I don't listen to decent music??

Amy

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 2:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just a hunch, Amy. BTW, Barry Manilow is not cool, just so you know. John Tesh ain't cool, either.

Travis, my favorite scene from Glenn Danzig is when that dude from North Side Kings punches him out. Funny stuff. I've heard of the Misfits, but I can't tell you any songs they sing. Any suggestions, I'd like to check them out.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:15 pm 

OMG, you picked two of my favorites!!! But you forgot Kenny G and Michael Bolton!!

One of my favs right now is AWOL Nation. I'm also lately into throwbacks from the early 90s like The Offspring and Everclear. But I am eclectic. From Shawn Mullins to Eminem and from Ritchie Havens to The Sundays. There's no telling what I'll like.

:P

Amy

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:33 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I'd recommend the Misfits albums Walk Among Us or Static Age as good places to start. Danzig really only had one hit, 'Mother', off a solo album. Strangely fitting today, mothers day.

The Misfits are noted as being influential to many bands, maybe Metallica being the most popular and outspoken.

(763)250.0702

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:36 am 
New Poster
New Poster

TwinCitiesHardcore wrote:
Dude, I came up in the hardcore scene in Minneapolis, the Misfits first album Walk Among Us is a top 20 for me to this day!

Seeing as you are from Minneapolis and came up in the hardcore scene....I reeeealy want to believe that you are a fan of Lifter Puller and the Hold Steady!! I am also now thinking that your avatar may be a pic of Craig Finn. Though, it may be wishful thinking...

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:48 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hah, the pic isn't of Craig Finn, it was an automated avatar here that looks A LOT like me, actually, which is why I picked it.

I was a huge Lifter Puller fan, got into them right when they started have literally everything Craig has ever been involved in and have been an avid fan since. In mid to late Lifter Puller they got into playing with punk bands like The Strike and Dillinger Four among others with Lifter Puller sometimes headlining. Literally the shows would be packed (Jitters, The Foxfire, 7th Street Entry, etc) but then after a random band, the Strike then Dillinger Four played (usually second or third, right before Lifter Puller) the crowd would thin out and there would sometimes be ten kids left, this grew after their last album and before their breakup but they were really unpopular with the hardcore/punk crowd and the indie kids didn't come out of the woodwork until close to their end. Craig is a few years older than me but he was always really friendly and would talk (and I want to say he smoked cigarettes then too) to me and my best friend who went to all the Lifter Puller shows with me, thanking us for always hanging around 'after the other punks left' and supporting his band, and of course about hardcore which he was involved in a few years before; great guy!

I actually had an ongoing couple year email chat with him after Lifter Puller broke up and he moved to New York but before the Hold Steady formed. I started to get all the information I could out of him, he transcribed lyrically ALL the Lifter Puller songs for me and talked about the various things/songs/bands he referenced in Lifter Puller songs. I gave it all to someone who had a Lifter Puller website up for a few years that mainly consisted mine Craig and my emailing's and pictures taken over the years. I lost regular contact with him many years ago. The last conversation I had with him was related to 9/11.

I saw the Hold Steady each and every time they were in town through Boys and Girls In America then got disenfranchised with the ticket prices and packed weird venues. Though I did see Craig on his solo tour when he played the Triple Rock, which was a really great laid-back time! Also saw the Hold Steady when they dropped the keyboard player and adopted the new guitarist from Lucero and the Bloodthirsty Lovers as I had free tickets to the VitaMN show they played with POS and they were REALLY ROUGH, I thought. But they've certain ly found their groove together now a couple years later.

I always loved them and they honestly changed my musical direction big time. I have been collecting records like a good addict for twenty years and have literally everything; my record (actual vinyl, not counting CD's) collection is the ONLY thing I kept during active addiction, everything else was abandoned or sold. Trust me, a record collection like mine was a HUGE burden on whoever I tasked to watch/house it at different periods. These days I have built special giant wooden/reinforced to my walls record shelves in my dedicated 'music room.'

The new Hold Steady album Teeth Dreams has not left my turntable or car CD player since its release. ANYONE who hasn't checked it out totally should, they (and the pre-Hold Steady Craig Finn bands) absolutely changed my life and got me through some dark times!

Sorry, I could talk about those guys all day!

(763)250.0702

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:52 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Twincitieshardcore, you collect vinyl? So do I! I'd wanted a record player for a long time and finally went and bought one in Adams Morgan when I was 15. Got a bangles record that day for 50 cents at a second hand cd/DVD/record store. Eventually I built up a pretty bangin classic rock collection, complete with zeppelin, beatles, pink Floyd, rush, the doors, stones, simon/garfunkle; even came across a white stripes record cuz they're awesome and still release their albums on vinyl in addition to CDs. Every once in a blue moon i find someone who's enthusiastic about that.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:09 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

All_apologies13 wrote:
Twincitieshardcore, you collect vinyl? So do I! I'd wanted a record player for a long time and finally went and bought one in Adams Morgan when I was 15. Got a bangles record that day for 50 cents at a second hand cd/DVD/record store. Eventually I built up a pretty bangin classic rock collection, complete with zeppelin, beatles, pink Floyd, rush, the doors, stones, simon/garfunkle; even came across a white stripes record cuz they're awesome and still release their albums on vinyl in addition to CDs. Every once in a blue moon i find someone who's enthusiastic about that.

Well, now you know one major collector! I had my collection appraised at $275,000 a few years ago and felt it was low; not that I was going to give a thought to selling any part of it. I have pretty much everything and some are worth $1000 each (Mostly pristine unopened Beatles, Beefheart and very limited edition 70's/80's hardcore.) Even the first Pearl Jam fanclub 7" regularly goes for $200, the first Nirvana 7" just went for $1500, The First Misfits, first original hand made Black Flag and First Bad Brains's 7"s are almost priceless at this point, and yeah I have em. I actually have the most valuable in a really heavy gun cabinet bolted to the floor turned into a record safe. Beck/BEAN 'MTV Makes Me Want To Smoke Crack' around $200, the first pavement 7" 'Slay Tracks' goes for $200 all day long. The first two Hold Steady albums were released in small numbers on vinyl and someone offered me $600.00 for the set last year. And so it goes, it's an unending hobby, something I really enjoy. There's only one friend who can tolerate going record shopping with me because of the time it takes me and the number of shops I go to, it's usually a twelve hour day between 3 or 4 shops.

I just started collecting at a good time, I got the first Nirvana 7" for $40.00 before the death of Kurt Cobain, it was still rare then but things become way more collectable when someone like him dies and won't ever release anything new/play again, plus vinyl 'wasn't the thing' then or at least was tapering off a bit. It's back big time now it seems, even Best Buys around here are carrying it.

I'm maybe crazy to hold on when people offer me those amounts of cash but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE collecting, still hit up the three really good places to get good vinyl at least every couple weeks. Like I said, I have gotten many offers over the years but have never sold which a lot of people think is insane especially since I rarely listen to them as to keep them pristine. I also have multiple copies of many records, not to have one listenable and one pristine, but to have multiple pristine; that plus when I go out shopping I honestly cannot remember if I already own the record :).

(763)250.0702

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:50 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

You're not crazy, I would never sell any of mine, on a couple occasions I've given one away when I had an extra copy of an album, like a few years back I gave a friend an extra copy of physical graffiti and kept the unopened one. I love it too, but most of my collection is back home since we moved to the beach for a few months, I had to select ones that were important to me to bring and jus bring a box that would be easy to carry. Was really hard to decide but I brought most of my beatles, led zeppelin 2 and 4, and I think some Janis Joplin aerosmith cat stevens and others