It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Loratab for withdrawals
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:50 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have read from several about either using hydros for w/d from suboxone or saving hydros for it. How will the loratab help? I had a root canal today and the doctor wrote me a script for loratab. Of course I am not filling it right now. I'm down to 1mg of subutex. However, wondered if I need to save the script for withdrawals. Is that risking your sobriety? Fighting fire with fire? How much loratab do you take for withdrawals? What symptoms does it help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:41 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I would think using lortab for withdrawals is counterproductive.Its still an opiate and you would have to withdraw from that,there no way around withdrawal.Something I went thru more times than I can care to count and it sucks no matter what type of opiate you are getting off of.Its only going to prolong the misery and perhaps be worse since its a full agonist and not a partial like sub.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:13 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I agree with Melijm that taking something like loratab to get through sub withdrawal is probably counterproductive and likely to extend the withdrawal. I know that people DO sometimes use various opiates, preferably mild ones, to get through withdrawal but I really think it's not the best idea. Personally, I know i would just find myself feeling desperate once I ran out of the loratab pills. On the other hand, I guess there are people with much better self-control than I have who might be able to use just a small amount when needed to get through the worst of the WD. And it's true, I have heard of some medical detoxes that will give patients a certain amount of mild opiate to get through withdrawal from their DOC. Of course, sub itself can be used that way! But honestly, from everything I've read, the best way to stop taking sub is by tapering to a very low dose, and also possibly eventually going to dosing LESS often than once a day. My own experience with WD from opiates (not from sub though, I've never gone off sub) has been that dosing less and less often does seem to make it easier at the final end. From all the tapering threads I've read on this forum, those who get down to a dose below 0.5 mgs and at the end are dosing every other or even every third day are the ones who report that when they finally quit altogether they feel little or no WD. On the other hand, some people just can't stand to draw the process out so long so choose to "jump off" from a higher dose. Whatever you end up doing I wish you luck, but to answer your question about would using the loratab be risking your sobriety--personally I would say the answer to that is yes.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

anxiousSN wrote:
I have read from several about either using hydros for w/d from suboxone or saving hydros for it. How will the loratab help? I had a root canal today and the doctor wrote me a script for loratab. Of course I am not filling it right now. I'm down to 1mg of subutex. However, wondered if I need to save the script for withdrawals. Is that risking your sobriety? Fighting fire with fire? How much loratab do you take for withdrawals? What symptoms does it help?

I had a mouth surgery done over a year ago while on Sub. I declined any pain meds and was able to handle the pain. I was under the impression that they wouldn't really work anyway.

As far as saving the script for w/d, I absolutely understand where you are coming from. It's a reasonable question. However, I'd advise against doing that. For one thing, you can taper directly off Sub, which I know because I just did it. You don't need to add any other opiate to the equation. If you taper low enough, you won't have significant w/d, and you won't want to extend whatever minimal w/d you do have by taking a short-acting opiate. Bottom line: it is playing with fire and unless you are in miserable pain, I'd run the other direction away from all full agonist opiates.

laddertipper

Post subject: Withdrawal
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:49 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks for the advice.That was my gut feeling. Just weird having a script for loratab and not getting it filled! I guess always an addict!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:17 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Anxious...its the Sub preventing you from filling that script.Is it possible that you are not ready to make the jump yet or you wouldnt being considering the narcotic script.? Once you take that full antagonist,all those old warm feelings will come flooding back and you will be starting the cycle all over again.