It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Looking into this...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello all! Thank you for taking a second to read my post.
I've been on Suboxone now for 9 months. 16mg a day.
I'm wanting to start the weaning process, which I will talk with my suboxone doctor about the first of this month.
I'll be moving out of the state soon and my husband and I are wanting to try for another baby very soon. These are two reasons I want to be free of subs. Also, I am
Ready for the next stage of my life. I Was very badly addicted to pills for years and subs really helped me get my life back but once again, I'm feeling tied down to another addiction and I'm ready to move on.
Any tips,advice?
Thank you so much

Post subject: Re: Looking into this...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:25 am 

Hello BC,
If you feel it is time to taper and jump then the best thing I can tell you is to go Slow. As slowly as possible. Ill asume you are reading the many threads here in the Stopping Suboxone forum.
You can see the ones who took there time had an easier time with it. Do not rush it toward the end. Meaning that as you get down to 3/2 mg range really take time for your system to get used to these lower doses.

Also, at 16mgs you could jump down to the single mg numbers quite easily. It is when we get down into ceiling level,4mgs imo), and below that wd simptoms can start to be felt..

I gota ask, as im sure you feel ready,what has really changed in your life that akes being drug free seem possible? Are you working some other kind of program with your sub therapy? I ask because id wouldnt want to see anyone risk there recovery. Im sure some others will come loug too with information.

There are some days, more lately than before that I feel im ready, idk, I suppose you know it when you know it!!

Best of luck BC!!!!! Keep posting !!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The numbers are against someone tapering after less than a year-- but that doesn't mean that it can't be done. The things that favor doing well off buprenorphine-- from my own observations, which I've discussed with other doctors who tend to agree-- include age (over 30), being employed (or at least kept busy), having a supportive family, and going through something that leads to significant positive identity changes... such as having a child.

Many people start a taper, but then 'yo-yo' up and down for months. If you are thinking of starting a family, consider giving yourself some sort of deadline-- i.e. if you cannot taper off by 6 months, consider going back on the medication and trying again a year later. I don't see value in never-ending taper; I think that the time would be better spent on a stable dose of buprenorphine, where you are no longer conditioning yourself to crave opioids.

As razor wrote, the first part-- to 4 mg per day or so-- is relatively easy, so you can move quickly to that dose. Beyond that point it gets harder. I usually recommend that people get as low as they can, until they start having withdrawal between doses--- and 'jumping' at that point. If you can get down to 1 mg per day or so, the physical symptoms will be mild. But after less than a year on buprenorphine, my concern would be the mental part.

Good luck!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:31 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

My advice (as someone going through the taper...) Gooooooo sloooowwww.... And listen to suboxdoc aka Dr. Junig. He REALLY knows what he is talking about!

Best of luck!!