It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:52 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi! Preferably North county tri-city area.
I'm new to this website so I'm going to to a little searching but I'd really like to find a dr that is willing to help me use suboxone as a detox tool and not for something long term. I understand that might be hard to find because most dr's want your money so therefore keep you on it as long as they can Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:44 am 

Nope, it's actually that most doctors have read the scientific evidence that is showing that maintaining on buprenorphine has much better outcomes than just detoxing with it. More and more studies are showing that buprenorphine is only helpful as a maintenance medicine, and for only as long as the opiate addict is on it. As people are maintaining on forms of buprenorphine for longer periods of time, it is easier to prove that the longer addicts take the medication, the longer they are not relapsing, overdosing, and dying.

The psychiatrist, Dr. Junig, who started this forum has noticed patterns about people who are ready to come off buprenorphine without relapsing. Those addicts have used their time on buprenorphine to completely change their lives. They have good, steady jobs, they have repaired relationships, they have gone to counseling and support groups. They know what their triggers are and how to avoid them.

In other words, buprenorphine puts opiate addiction into remission while we addicts get our lives back together. There are plenty of clinics that use buprenorphine as medication to help you detox. They are not following the evidence either and are often stuck on outdated theories that are not proven, like the abstinence-only model that has failed so many addicts.

We are a pro-suboxone forum, but I hope that someone has the answers you are looking for. Good luck!

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:15 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

The whole money thing... Actually the detox only docs make much more money because of the high turnover they have, the fee for a new patient visit is higher than an established patient follow up. So that always makes me laugh when folks talk about docs keeping people on bupe for the money.
Like Amy said, the research favors maintenance over detox.
But there are a few websites out there that list subox docs in a particular area, I'm sure there are a few who will be willing to just detox you.
Duke

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:18 am 

I understand the mindset of an addict that's still using, wanting to stop their drug of choice with as little discomfort as possible and wanting to use suboxone for that purpose only. But honestly there's no easy way out. Even starting suboxone, u have to go through 24 to 36 hrs of withdrawal just to induct. And stopping opiates is just a part of it, imo cravings are so much worse. U gotta think about 2 months on down the rd, I just don't see the point of using buprenorphine short term......I know that's just me and my opinion and I'm not trying to sound like a butthead either lol. Stopping is usually do-able, staying stopped using the real struggle.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:52 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

K thanks, it seems to be the mantra around here. Haha every question I ask about using suboxone for detox I get the same answer. I know people aren't trying to be butt heads lol I know that's just how you all feel it works best and you're trying to help.

I called around today. I found a dr. That I'll meet with next week. I can report back here if you'd like but no one seems to want to hear about the way I want to do it? I just figure if it doesn't work it doesn't work. I don't see the harm in trying, I can always try it again and stay on longer or go cold turkey if it doesn't work but it's worth it to me to try. I'm pretty done with the drug I just want to get through the detox. I don't have any real issues other than being over it. I'm sick of the song and dance. I don't even get high off it anymore. I don't feel a thing on them other than not detoxing. I can't remember the last time I did.

Thanks for your comments

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:00 pm 

I answered ur other thread and wasn't going to post on this one again because I feel like I'm zig zagging bk and forth lol. But I just don't want to come off as....do it our way or no way grrrrrr. Don't think that, it's just about being so passionate about what we've learned and honestly it's becoming so bad in the world of addiction, we feel like it's kinda life and death every second wasted or bad decision. It could work for u, ur right, and if ur willing to stick with suboxone if u change ur mind, that's progress right lol? I just wanted to clarify that our responses are just out of knowing how suboxone works and what it has done for us. So I wanted to clarify that so it doesn't seem like we're all running towards u with sticks and rocks screaming lol ok my imagination is overdrive today :)