It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:20 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

So I have been on Suboxone for 1 1/2 years now I take approximatly 1 1/2 8mg tablets per day. My question is how can I quit? Can I just stop? Or do I have to gradually wean myself off of them? I go to a doctor that has never even brought up the thought of getting off of them when I brought the subject up to her she said "stopping too soon makes people relapse" So I just wanted to stop but heres the problem no one knows my situation, I am a single mom with 2 young children, a full time student with 6 weeks left of class until I graduate with my Bachelors degree, I am also an office manager and a softball coach so if stop taking these and get to sick to function what can I do but at the same time I cant take it anymore. I have no energy, I am depressed and my mood swings are out of control. Most of all I hate being dependant on these things. I have never tried to quit and never had withdrawels from either I have always had some I was too scared not to. So I really am hoping to get some answers.

Thanks !!!!!
Drea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Drea and welcome. What i would say is give yourself some time to taper off, because you will have withdrawals if you just stop taking them. And that will put you at risk of relapse. Being addicts and all, well, we'll always be at risk from relapse.
If I were in your shoes I would start by cutting your dose from 12 mg down to either 10 or even 8. You may not even feel a thing. Some people don't feel it until they get down around 4-6 mg. You're solidly above the ceiling and have been for awhile, so give yourself a few if not several months to taper off completely. The idea is the lower and slower you go, the less acute and post acute withdrawals you will suffer from. I could go into more detail about the entire taper schedule, but for now just work on starting to reduce your dose slowly. At least that's my opinion.

As for going off it and being at risk of relapse...yes, you will probably be at risk. Like I said, I think we'll always be at risk. Have you done anything during your sub treatment to learn relapse prevention - new coping skills, that sort of thing? That will help you when you stop the sub.

I hope this helps and I'm sure other people with some experience in tapering will come along and talk to you about it. Good luck and keep us posted about how you're doing. Again - welcome!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Advise and Support
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Drea, I totally understand what u r going through. April 9Th, will be a yr that I've been on the Suboxone, which saved my life by the way, after using opiate based pain pills for over 24 yrs, my Suboxone doc, who is one of the top addictionologist in the country, still has me on two a day 8/2, from 3 a day we talk about me going down and he wants me to start going down but it's me I panic, when I even think about it, I want to start to taper but I'm terrified, my doc says a quarter @ a time, u do that for about a week to 2 with each quarter and the withdraws are not as intense, if you do it that way he says. I should know soon enough, I'm going to be starting, when I see him for my next appt, I want to be totally free from anything. I figure it sure as heck can't be any worse then the withdraws from the crap we were taking, I think if we can survive that we can survive anything.

Good luck to u Drea.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Becca, I see you are new here and this is your first post. I wanted to welcome you. I also wanted to wish you good luck on your taper. When you're ready and if you want to share, perhaps you could write and introductory post and tell us a bit more about yourself (we have an "Introductions" section). With regard to your tapering, at the dose you're at now, dropping a 1/4 a day (2 mg) should be fine, but when you get lower, like around 8 mg or so, you might want to start dropping in smaller increments for less discomfort. I look forward to hearing more from you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:31 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks well I have always just taken them like clock work so today I'm gonna try and take 1/4 and see how that goes. I don't worry too much about relaspsing I just have no desire my problem is being scared ill get sick. Thanks again for the advice my doctor would be good if I wanted to stay on suboxone forever but I don't

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Drea & becca and welcome! I would say instead of thinking about going off, which will add much more strss to your already stress full situation, I would think about reducing to the lowest dose necessary. I started at 12mg/day and was extremely lethargic. When I reduced to 4mg/day I was still at the ceiling level, but didn't have any side effects.

Drea- Many people have said that higher doses of Sub cause tiredness or low motivation, but in the more than a year I have been here I haven't heard anyone report that it causes mood swings and depression. In fact, a lot of people say that Sub helps their depression. So I would definitely consider that it might not be the Sub. Your situation sounds very stressful. Have you spoken to a doctor about your depression? Many of us here, myself included, have a dual diagnoses of addiction and depression and take antidepressants along with our Sub. Clinical depression is pretty common in addicts.

Becca - even 2 8 mg tablets is a pretty high dose. I would be willing to bet that you could get down to one a day very easily and not feel much of a difference. You might want to try that and then see where you want to go from there. As addicts we tend to look at things as all or nothing, and it's overwhelming. Just take baby steps. You don't have to decide where you will be in a year from now today. One day at a time.

I hope you both keep posting!
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:55 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I took antidepressants for a little while and couldn't stand the way I felt on them but I never was depressed like this before and my doctor said opiates and suboxone can alter the chemicals in the brain and lead to depression I want to say she saiddopomine?(spelling ). But for me the tiredness makes me lazy as a result I do not exercise which decreases my endorphine levels also causing depression. I am definitely cutting my dosage down I started today actually we will see how that goes thank you for the advise: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Drea84 wrote:
I took antidepressants for a little while and couldn't stand the way I felt on them but I never was depressed like this before and my doctor said opiates and suboxone can alter the chemicals in the brain and lead to depression I want to say she saiddopomine?(spelling ). But for me the tiredness makes me lazy as a result I do not exercise which decreases my endorphine levels also causing depression. I am definitely cutting my dosage down I started today actually we will see how that goes thank you for the advise: )

A lot of us have experienced the same thing. I've been trying to understand what's going on, too. One doctor has told me kind of the same thing....basically that their are lingering symptoms because there may have been chemical/morphological changes in the brain. For me, I'd say Suboxone was absolutely an antidepressant for a good while. It even gave me energy. At some point, it started to turn around and act exactly the opposite. I'm still not clear why this is. One of the main listed symptoms of prolonged Naloxone use is asthenia, which is depression of your body and mind. IDK, just thought I'd throw that out. What Lillyval said is so smart. If you start tapering and feel like you get stuck for a while, it's okay. Being at a lower dose will absolutely alleviate a lot of symptoms. I noticed a significant difference around 4 mg and a gigantic difference around 2 mg. So, say you started tapering and that's as far as you could go for a while. You'd still probably see a big improvement. Tapering takes a long time. I've been tapering (this time) since the end of October and I'm just now at 1 mg. A lot of people go even slower than that, and I have had a lot of symptoms, so if I wanted to do this symptom free, I'd be going waaaayyy slower than I am. As you get lower, you'll need to go down in smaller and smaller increments, too. Just stick with it and you will be successful. There's a lot of support on here for anyone tapering.

Good luck!
laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Your dose could be too high and could be making you tired. That's not uncommon. That's just another good reason to start tapering lower. Good luck to you. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:58 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

for me i didnt really plan to start tapering. after about a year on subs i started to need less and therefore i took less and less. it wasnt difficult becuase i was ready and my system was ready to decrease my dose. i also suggest not putting a llot of pressure on the idea of tapering. the more pressure you put on yuorself to taper the harder it is going to be for you. i would just set a reasonable goal; decrease by 2 mg maybe take your normal dose one day. then the next day your normal dose minus 2 mg and keep rotating doses like that for at least 2-3 weeks then if you feel like you can do it just keep the dose steady for a couple weeks then decrease another 2 mg. this worked for me but everyone is different just make sure not to put alot of pressure on the idea of getting off subs. its easy to scare yourself when you read about tapering stories. just know that if you do the taper correctly and get down to a low enouh dose then the jump shouldnt be bad/