It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hopefully your son will get back on subs. It is really, really, really, really (did I say really enough) hard to remain "sober" (free of opiates) without either a lot and I mean a lot of constant work - or without Suboxone. As more and more studies are completed and the results released it is getting more and more clear that patients who get on and stay on Suboxone do much better over the long term than those who do not. I am not sure anyone really knows what the true numbers are but I often hear stats down as low as 10% for 12-step programs being successful over the long-term. When it comes to addicts under the age of 30, it is almost 100% that they will relapse if they stop their Suboxone. The thing is, your son much more likely would not have relapsed had he stayed on the Suboxone. The hard part can often be keeping him on the Suboxone - and its not just always the addict. Sometimes it's money, insurance, finding and keeping a doctor, etc. It can really be a struggle. Suboxne is a great answer for many people, but as you seem to know all too well, if the patient stops taking it, wants to get high, doesn't want to stop using (or all of the above) there really is not a lot that you can do. Hopefully he will get the a place where he actually wants to keep taking his Suboxone and not get high.

You asked about the 30 day Naltrexone shot. Now, wouldn't it be great if they came out with a 30 day Suboxone shot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:50 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

donh wrote:
Hopefully your son will get back on subs. It is really, really, really, really (did I say really enough) hard to remain "sober" (free of opiates) without either a lot and I mean a lot of constant work - or without Suboxone. As more and more studies are completed and the results released it is getting more and more clear that patients who get on and stay on Suboxone do much better over the long term than those who do not. I am not sure anyone really knows what the true numbers are but I often hear stats down as low as 10% for 12-step programs being successful over the long-term. When it comes to addicts under the age of 30, it is almost 100% that they will relapse if they stop their Suboxone. The thing is, your son much more likely would not have relapsed had he stayed on the Suboxone. The hard part can often be keeping him on the Suboxone - and its not just always the addict. Sometimes it's money, insurance, finding and keeping a doctor, etc. It can really be a struggle. Suboxne is a great answer for many people, but as you seem to know all too well, if the patient stops taking it, wants to get high, doesn't want to stop using (or all of the above) there really is not a lot that you can do. Hopefully he will get the a place where he actually wants to keep taking his Suboxone and not get high.

You asked about the 30 day Naltrexone shot. Now, wouldn't it be great if they came out with a 30 day Suboxone shot!

That would be a miracle for so many...it would also get rid of many of the ways to abuse suboxone...like selling it, taking more than subscribed etc...

Can someone get right on that please?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:42 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I know some of you read my blog "A Mom's Serious Blunder" on wordpress so you know that my son is in rehab at the moment. He called me to today and asked me to investigate Vivitrol. Isn't that funny? Evidently they are offering it as a parting gift on release day. He is seriously considering trying it. I will let you know how it goes. This is so ironic that I was already looking into it while he was there...I practically finished his sentence. He couldn't figure out how I knew about it. It was kind of funny.