It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:20 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've never posted on any forum before,although I have sought comfort on this forum reading posts.I apologize if this is long. I've never been brave enough.
I've been an addict for 13 years and have been on suboxone for about 4 months. This is my second go at sub's. The first time I gave up due to cost.which leads me to my issue.
I live in a smaller town in northern Mich and we have 2 sub docs. The one is full and I think costs more so I started seeing my current doc. My current doc is apparently all about quick tapering and at my last apt. Told me that she knows that addicts that are long term sub users don't work at their recovery which is why they taper,no matter what. It was at that same apt. That I found out the cost of the office visit was increased(second time since I've started) and I heard the secretary and other office personnel talking about kicking someone out because they can't pay. They all agreed with the secretary that we addicts need to cancel our cable and stop drinking coffee and we addicts would be able to afford the office visit. I was shocked and immediately thought if that's how the secretary thinks then what does the doc think? I'm inclined to think the opinions of the personell reflects in the doctor IMO. After hearing that I was called back to see the doc.and informed her that my cravings were pretty tough I had attempted to use(but didn't)and was looking for more advice on how to handle my brain. She responded with the long term addicts dont work on recovery speal and said under no circumstances would she increase a sub dose which wasnt what i had wanted and informed me I was being dropped down another quarter and that I needed to toughen up. Now I'm OK with tapering at some point but idk if 4 months is enough time for me to get a recovery program going,fully implement that plan and be successful. Needless to say I am not on the same page as my doc and feel like this is pointless and a waist of time and money and I'm going to end up at the same place as before, using. Idk to me it seems like they're all about money and look down on addicts. They charge an astronomical price for new patients, keep raising the price for returning,and if you drop dirty they don't address the issue they just drop your sub dose and have you drop in 2 wks at more money. It almost seems like they're setting us up to fail so we come back at the new patient price or we stay using and they get a new patient to fill our spots.the thing is, a lot of addicts that aren't rdy to taper may go use and never come back and I tried explaining that to her but she wouldn't have it.and mind you her husband is a recovering addict who used to prescribe at this clinic.
Everyday since I started sub's feels like a giant battle not to go use and I'm pretty sure when your on sub it shouldn't be like that. Yes there will be cravings ect and I need the life skills to deal ect and believe a persons recovery is different for everyone but I don't think taking sub for however long you need it while you relearn to live is a bad crutch like my doc called it.
So I'm fighting my brain on giving up and am looking for an affordable doc that won't force taper. I don't thinkni can afford to keep seeing her even if I agreed with her thinking. What would you all do? Am I wrong in thinking I need a new doc, my addict thinking is taking over? I'm willing to drive to Saginaw baycity flint Detroit annarbor traverse city if the price is reasonable,I don't have insurance.preferably closer to Saginaw baycity but I had read a post where someone talked about how addicts would travel pretty far to find our d.o.c. so we need to put even more effort in getting our sub's and our recovery so I'm willing to go as far as I can afford. By the way, I don't have cable. I've been putting my family in debt with my treatment and we have cut everything but essentitials. I did the doctor match thing, got one email, its from the doc I currently see lol. Do I just start calling from a list and what do I say? I've kinda got a severe phone phobia so I'm scared. Do I just say hi I'm looking for a suboxone doc?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:57 pm 

Hey Annie :) Welcome and glad u found us. First of all, it does sound like ur doctor is all about the cash. I've been at my clinic three years and the price has always stayed the same. I pay cash too and it's extremely difficult enough without having to worry about the dang price going up, that would suck and I wouldn't like it one bit. I agree with u about traveling as far as u can to find a better doctor who doesn't look at addicts with some kind of judgment. If they are not in it to take care and listen to ur patients, then it's obviously the money. So yeah, I'd look for another if I were u. Just find as many numbers as u can in the areas ur willing to travel too and start calling. Now, on what u need to say..... I think u should be completely honest and tell them exactly what u told us. Explain that they keep raising the price and ur having issues that they aren't helping u with and ur looking for a doctor who u can trust and respect. And be sure u ask them the price of course. Also, if there is a waiting list, get on it. It never hurts to be prepared in case u need it.

I think all ur issues are very valid and if u don't have a doctor that will listen to u and help u, then give ur money to someone who deserves it. There's so many ppl out there that make their judgments on addicts, u should absolutely not have to put up with it in a place that claims to be there to help. That really gets me upset. I hope u find a place that will treat u right, cause u deserve the very best.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:20 pm 

Welcome to the forum Amn,
While it is unfortunate your Dr does not see sub treatment asloug term, others do. You will have to do some led work here, but you are trying to save your life and craving is a bad sign.

Be opened to these new places you will be calling. A swer there questions as truthfully as you can.

I also pay out of pocket, and the louger you are tbere the Cheaper it becomes, not tne other way around. I just do not get what this clinic your going to is doing. ..so be it..move on if you can.

Please keep posting , glad you are here

Razor

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:32 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Definitely need to change doctors...no one should have to pay to be (mis)treated that way. It really sounds like your doctor is transferring some feelings about her husband onto you..."not working on recovery". How does she know what you're working on? She isn't in your counseling sessions. Yeah, I think she's really fed up with her husband, but she's taking it out on her patients.

You can also speak to pharmacists in local pharmacies and ask them who is prescribing and who they might recommend.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:53 pm 

I'm so glad that you overcame your fear and posted with us! Your feelings sound exactly how I would feel in the same situation! Your current doctor is taking advantage of you financially, and by her uncaring attitude. I don't know where she got the idea that this is how sub patients should be treated, but shame on her!! And yes, I think that the office staff get their cues and opinions from the top down.

If the other doctor close to you is full, it's a pretty good indication that he or she is a good doctor. Try to get on a waiting list for that doctor while you're looking for other doctors further out.

I'm so sorry that you have gotten stuck with a terrible doctor! You are welcome here. :)

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I apologize for not responding sooner. I gotta say Wow,I dont think ive ever came across a group of people that are so considerate and truly nice,so thank you! Sometimes its hard to distinguish what is just my addict thinking and what isnt and having you all backing me definately helps.
So things havent been going that good. I went and called atleast 60 doctors and havent found sucess yet. They either are full, or want daily or weekly visits which would cost more, or the receptionist is down right rude. I talked with a clinic that was in my target area and altho he seemed like he agreed with my finding a new doctor he didnt like that i would like a slower taper. This is definately frustrating and is giving my inner addict a great excuse to give up. Its a scary place to be in. Is it that bad to want to do my recovery right and minimize relapse to the best of my ability? And take things slow? Or am I unrealistic here? Ive been an addict for 12 years, I think itll take longer than a few months to learn and implement new behavior let alone change my brain chemistry. Idk, but I wanted to let you all know I appreciate the support, with hopes of being able to

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Return the support one day. Monday morning IM calling the rest on my list, hopefully one pans out.ill check in and let you all know.thanks again!
sry it got split up, im horrible at figuring out how to do this.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Oh and the pharmacy idea I never had thought to do that so ty much. Im going to give it a try.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:09 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Keep plugging away and you will find a doctor that will work with you on your terms. And no, there's nothing wrong with your desire to go slow on the taper!!! In fact, some people need to be on Suboxone for life. Your plan is very reasonable.

Keep us posted on your progress!

--Morphing