It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:05 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi,
I have been lurking for a little bit and decided to ask for advice....I am a 47 year old addict. I have just completed a four month, in-patient treatment program (my first ever) and I am living in sober housing. I have been clean from opiates since July. My 5 year pills/heroin addiction cost me everything (career, home, cars, etc.) except my life. I believe I cannot afford any type of relapse. I am seeing a doctor on Friday to discuss being on suboxone. I have very intense cravings and PAWS. I am going to aftercare, therapy and 12 step meetings. I am considering using suboxone as an addition to working my program because I am just starting to rebuild my life and am well aware of the small percentage of successful recovery from opiate addiction. I am very scared that my cravings and PAWS will cause a relapse. What are some opinions about using suboxone as asupplement to my program? Thank you for reading!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:07 am 

Hello Steppn,
Five years ago this jan 14th I started my way back. I was 52. Like you I lost everything to opiate addiction. An addiction that 4 years earlier was nt even a thought in my mind. I had no idea what damage it would do to my life. Even today I understand that all can not be brought back. Wife, houses,friends and respect of others were taken away. Ive learned to try to accept some things.

However, many great gifts have been learned and given. I entered a IOP out patient /sub treatment program. It saved my life. I found some clean friends in traditional recovery but overall I have to give Suboxone much of the credit.
The relapse rate for opioid addicts is very high. Even for some taking sub it can still be tricky.
If you are indeed having stroug cravings and of course PAWS then I can't recommend Suboxone strougly enough. If others around are doing well without it good for them, but for you it may be time for even more help.

Buprenorphine will stop cravings. It also has other properties that can be of great benefit to you. Some can say that it is just trading one drug for another. I never have seen it that way. There are many medicines out there that many people take to improve there daily lives against all types of diseases. This is true with Suboxone.
You have made it this far with the support of many. But to recognize that this may not be enough for you I see as a strength on your part.

This is all just my opinion but Buprenorphine saves lives and continues to let people live a normal life. I hope you will stick around here. Ask more questions and please, check out The Talkzone here on the forum page. It is a blog written by this sites founder, Dr J Junig. A leading expert on opiate addiction and sub treatment.

Hope your appointment with your Dr goes well Steppn.

Razor 57

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:37 pm 

Hey Steppin welcome to the forum!

Ur story reminds me of me before I started suboxone yrs ago. I'd graduated my inpatient rehab and boom..set out into the world of PAWS. I did meetings and twelve steps, I did exactly what I was recommended by my counselors. I had horrible intense cravings that also gave me depression. I tried very hard to stay clean. I pretty much became isolated after about five or six months. I kept thinking...if I feel this awful without pills, then why not just use again and I'd at least feel better some of the time and have a life. It's crazy what our addict mind tells us. I relapsed eventually and needless to say it was bad. I couldn't make it past the cravings, it consumed my every thought. And like u and a lot of addicts, I'd lost everything and been to jail 4-5 times and withdrawal in jail is agonizing.

I finally got on suboxone and it has changed my life. I'm so happy that I don't have cravings anymore. I can wake up in peace and be a parent to my children, be a partner in a beautiful relationship, and function in society like a "normal" person again like I did before I ever started using. It's worth it, I promise. I also see my addiction counselor and go to meetings that are suboxone related.

I just wanted u to know that I know how ur feeling right now. Sometimes the normal stuff that rehab used to recommend for aftercare, sometimes u need more. Not everyone can handle the cravings and depression, it's not a shameful thing to need more help. Good luck on ur decision.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have only been on suboxone a month. I had to find a new way to live. My pill addiction had snowballed and I was a mess. I wanted to regain control before I lost the things that were nearest and dearest to my heart. Its the best decision i have ever made. I have zero cravings and feel like I did before i chose the wrong path. I encourage you to try suboxone. I pray you find the same peace i did!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello Steppin,

I am Queenie. I am 73 years old and I have been on Suboxone for 4 and a half years. I became addicted all kind of pain medication because of having 2 amputations and many surgeries to try to save my legs.(Morphine, Demerol, pills, etc).

I highly recommend that you try Suboxone or as they call it Bupe. It helps so much with cravings and definitely PAWS. The word "withdrawal" sends chills down my spine and Suboxone was a life saver.

I wish you all the luck in the world. Be strong my friend. You can beat this. As I always say to my dear friends here: "Don't give in and don't give up"

Hugs, Queenie