It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:02 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

So, before my regular doctor passed away he'd begun transferring his clients to his partner's new office, (which showed his dedication and concern for his clients even while he himself needed care), which opened up this last year a few month ago in my town. I've been very patient, (haha get it?), with them because I know everyone is still settling in, getting used to a new system, etc, staff and patients alike, but, I swear I've only seen my own assigned suboxone doctor once since I began going there twice a month around May/June, and every single appointment afterwards I've seen a different person and most are doctors who only come in once or twice a week or so from other clinics. And yet every Suboxone prescription has the name of my 'assigned doctor' no matter if it's someone else who sees me that day.

I don't know what the education level in regards to addiction studies these doctors all have but a few times I saw a obgyn there for my suboxone treatment appointment and another time an E.R. doctor came in to see people. That was actually an interesting visit because he used his password to look me up on the hospitals' E.R. database to see how long ago I was at an E.R. locally, which was a few years ago, but it was kind of interesting to see it on the computer.

On one hand it's great that so many doctors want to get involved and try to help people and it obviously means more people can be seen at a time, but, on the other hand I've had to deal with various responses and advice given to me because they don't all seem to be on the same page!

Here comes my venting....

Now, I have been on a low dose of Suboxone steadily for around six years now and I've gone the full taper, try to live completely clean of everything and it just does not work for me. My regular assigned doctor and my counselor whom I've been seeing for a few years now both agree that l am a very good candidate for lifelong maintenance. My counselor even wrote me out a care plan to that effect. Well, the last appointment I had I met with yet another new face. He just glanced at my file, showed me my UA results from the last several months and barely spoke with me for five minutes before deciding to 'strongly encourage' me on making a change in my treatment based solely on outward appearances and the fact that my pee tests are always "great!". He's like; "You've been on this medicine for so long and haven't been abusing any other drugs. I think it's time for you begin to go down in your dose and come off of it completely. Right now, it's not helping you any, you don't even get high from it, right?" I swear these are almost his exact words, "It helped you get through your withdrawals from full opiates a long time ago and now it's just a crutch. So, next time you come in I want you to be mentally and emotionally prepared to begin the tapering process."

And he just decides this after one meeting for five minutes and a regularly negative for anything but Suboxone pee test results? Gee, Doc, ever wonder if maybe the suboxone, (along with therapy, etc.), are the reasons my pee tests are always "great!"? I don't know but I think he's one of the 'Suboxone for short term use only for withdrawals' doctors and doesn't really have a full grasp on the medicine, addiction, etc. Anyway, my counselor said to not freak out, it's still my final decision and I know my own body and my own limitations more than anyone.

Anyhoo, that's my 'Damn Doctor' story for now.

~Ami

My sweet girls; Hermione & Ginny. My little adopted fur-babies since summer 2013! ^__^

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:34 pm 

What a tool!!! Thanks for sharing!

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:47 pm 

I've been on suboxone for yrs now and my clinic doesn't recognize sub being a life long treatment choice. And I believe that I'm definitely going to be a lifer. I'm not going to say I'm 100% sure because I know anything can happen, but I am fairly certain about it. My doctor and my counselor have said that I'm ready to come off sub but that I'm just scared. I'm sure it's because of never failing any drug screens and the amount of time I've been on it. But like u said skayda, the reason I have done so well is because of the medicine. I truly believe that if I went off of it anytime soon, I would be miserable, depressed, an crippled with cravings. So if ur counselor told u not to worry and it'll be ur choice regardless, that's pretty cool. I have a feeling that I will eventually have to switch to a new clinic or doctor when the time comes for them to drop my dose lower than I'm willing to go. Until that time comes, I'm just trying to stay calm and drop down a tiny bit when my doctor makes me. But he's actually moving at a very slow pace and for that I'm extremely thankful. But I know that day will come eventually unless he can be convinced that some patients actually need this medication for life.

So ur definitely not alone in venting about this. I think we all worry about something happening before we're ready and hoping that our doctor will be understanding that each of us are different and not all the same. It's definitely something to discuss.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi skayda,

I have had the same thing happen to me at the clinic I go to. One person says " stay on it a lifetime" while another says " u should taper and get off this eventually" while others say "need a refil" and I am on my way.

I guess it boils down to personal opinion. but.. ultimately it is YOUR decision. Try not to be pressured to taper off. You will be doing it for the wrong reasons and not whats right for you.

After years of being on suboxone , you may want to one day give it shot . and see what its like to drop down your dose or try to step off completely. But only when you are ready.

Personally I have gone down that route. I tapered down and jumped and stayed of subs for a year. But i did decide to get back on them because they helped me in so many ways. For addiction, cravings and depression . I am so glad I made the choice to get back on them. I am a happier, more stable person while I am on the medicine.