It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Long time suboxone user
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi,

I've been on Suboxone for 8 or 10 years. I was addicted to prescription painkillers. I had a clueless doctor who prescribed me whatever I asked. Eventually I couldn't stand the obsession or fear of withdrawal any longer. I went on suboxone maintenance. If I knew then what I know now I think I would have done the suboxone taper and and tried to deal with the PAWS. Of course I think that way because it would put the effort in the past. :) I have health problems and have had 3 major surgeries while I was a suboxone patient. I think I'd rather die than go through that again.

I've been trying to come off it but can't handle the effects when I get below 1mg. Right now I'm taking between 1 and 2mg a day. I've lurked here on and off over the past few years. I thought I had an account here but I couldn't find it.

I've been fairly healthy for the last few years up until two weeks ago. I have a major doctor rant I need to get off my chest but I'll look for the proper thread.

Meanwhile,

Hi everyone!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:21 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi longtime,

I responded to your other thread, but I just have to say...this was too funny!

longtime wrote:
If I knew then what I know now I think I would have done the suboxone taper and and tried to deal with the PAWS. Of course I think that way because it would put the effort in the past. :)

LOL...I get that feeling about alot of things. If I had only done the hard stuff THEN, I wouldn't have to do it NOW! Where's the freaking remote control from the movie "click" when you REALLY need it?

Welcom to the forum. I hope you find the support you need here.

Q :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:52 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

About 18 years ago when the doctor told me he was starting me on opiates for chronic pain I thought to myself how much I loved them ever since I first took them for some medical procedure when I was 8 or 10 years old. If I had the way back machine I would have said that out loud instead of just thinking it. Or maybe not. I did get several years of pain relief and nice highs until the tolerance and addiction overtook me.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:46 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I've been on suboxone for 10 years too! I've come off it successfully twice, but for me, the cravings AFTER the physical withdrawal were the reason why I decided to get back on suboxone (and stay on it, at least for now!).

Anyway, my best advice is to slow down your taper. My last taper took my 6 months to go from 6mg to 1mg. I reduced my dose so slightly every few weeks, and stabilized for a while. Getting below 1mg is where it got tough for me. The dose doesn't last 24hours, so it wears off and I felt like crap; It was necessary for me to split up my dose so that I could get "breaks" from the withdrawal symptoms.

I currently take 0.5mg (by choice) and even though it took a long time to get used to this dose, its finally comfortable for me. (It literally took about 6-8weeks of sheer misery!) I now take 0.25mg twice daily- in the morning, 6am & 6pm and feel great. And I'm NOT tapering my dose any lower.

But my experience was when I did come complete off suboxone twice:
My super slow taper did draw out the "mild" w/d symptoms (they felt worse than mild, but were mild compared to jumping at a higher dose) for several months. But the physical withdrawal symptoms when I actually jumped (at less than 0.1-0.2mg daily) didn't last too long- the worst of it only lasted a few days. But the intense cravings lasted for several months; this I couldn't get past- I literally wanted to use something, anything every second of every minute of every day. One occasion, I stayed 100% clean for 4 months before going back in maintenance suboxone; the second occasion, I began actively using a few weeks after completing my taper. I resumed maintenance about 3 months later and have been on it ever since. I realized that my life is MUCH better on suboxone, and the addiction counselor has said unless you have something to replace the suboxone with (preferably something healthy!), the cravings are likely to get the best of you.

I don't wanna discourage you. I know several people who have successfully come off and have found that something to replace the addiction with and are doing well. Just sharing my experiences, as its rare for me to find someone whose been on suboxone for 10 years like me, and most of the people I do find are similar to me, in that they function better on it than off.

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide to do

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Jamielynn, I'm amazed you were able to come off it twice. Good for you for realizing you were better off on the suboxone. Sounds like you've found a good balance. I so hate the stigma surrounding the drug, but I realize there are whole threads devoted to that.

Just to put the story below in context I've always been terrible at remembering to take medication (well, except for the oxy) or keeping track of medication. When I was on a higher dose of suboxone I would forget to take it for days. I'm just not a detail oriented person.

At one time I was on 24mg a day. I slowly tapered down to 2mg with no issues. I started breaking a little piece off the 2mg pills and taking the rest. At some point I started taking the little bits I had broken off but I wasn't really keeping track. I was probably taking around .25mg to .5mg a day. I think my original intention was to take the little bits and then take more later in the day if I needed it but at some point I forgot and just took the one dose of a little piece. I just wasn't paying attention to my suboxone dose.
I can't remember the exact time line but at some point after that I became extremely depressed. I could barely leave the house because I didn't know when I would burst into tears. I started getting confused sort of like someone with mild dementia. Stupid stuff, like I'd need to get groceries and pick up a prescription. I'd spend a day trying to figure out when I should go or which place I should go first and then I'd drive halfway to the grocery store, change my mind, head to the pharmacy, then start to go back to the grocery store, then start crying and drive home.

I began to seriously think about harming myself and thought I'd need in-patient psychiatric treatment when I noticed the suboxone bottle with the little pieces and had a light bulb moment. I took about 1mg. I had been watching tv, unable to follow the plot of whatever was on. After about 30 minutes I got up, started cleaning up a bit, felt bored sitting around the house and more upbeat than I had in a long time.

What was strange about this episode is I didn't really have the physical symptoms. I can't stand the skin crawling feeling of withdrawal and I didn't have that.
Right now I'm taking somewhere between 1 and 2 mg. Now that I'm aware, I sometimes split my dose or take extra in the afternoon, like you said. For now my goal is to taper as painlessly as possible, stabilize on a lower dose and see where things go from there.

This forum is a great resource.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:39 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

nice to see this