It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Long time sub user
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey all,

I don't know if I am at the right forum or not, I'll explain why. Some history on myself, I have been a drug addict since I was 17, I'm now 28. I started off with heroin and oxy's, and used those until I was about 21, then after getting in so much trouble and hating myself I decided to try and get help, so I checked myself into a methadone clinic. I was all the way up on 120+mg/day and was able to wean myself down to 2mg's. My methadone doctor was also a suboxone doctor. After hearing all the bad things that methadone did to my body I talked to my doctor and she told me about this miracle drug, Suboxone. I think this was the worst mistake of my life in a way, and in another way it really saved my life. I jumped off the 2mg's of methadone and was prescribed on Suboxone at 24mg's/day. This was 5 years ago. I never took the 24mg's daily, just 8mg a day and sold the rest to pay for the extreme expense of subs. The first 2 years on subs was wonderful, I got my life back, I graduated from college, got a great job, and in a sense have been doing okay life wise, but mentally/physically I'm drained. My drug mentality got me doing Xanax everyday to get high with the subs, and since then I have been hooked on both. I got myself all the way up to 24-32mg's of subs and 4-6mg of Xanax daily. This was about 2 years ago. Since then I have been able to get myself down to 12-14mg of subs and 3mg's of Xanax daily. I feel so shitty it is unbelievable. I am just the same old drug addict, but can function. I have been trying to get down on the subs, but I feel like I'm at a brick wall. At the beginning of my sub usage I only took 8mg in the morning and that's it. Once I got myself all the way up to 24-32mg of subs a day the only way I was able to get myself down to where I am at now is to dose 3 times daily, 4mg's three times daily. I take my Xanax three times daily as well. I have been entertaining the thought of rapid detox, but after doing some research, found some very horrific stories, so now I feel even more trapped in this addiction. I know I will be an addict for the rest of my life, but I'm ready to be off of everything. I know I should be dosing only once daily, but I just can't manage it or know how. Maybe I'm just so weak mentally. I came here for some guidance. I want to get off the subs and Xanax, but just don't know how to go about it. Should I worry about getting off the Xanax first or weaning off the Subs? I know the two drugs together are extremely dangerous and I just want my healthy life back. If anyone out there could provide some good advice I would so greatly appreciate it. I feel like shit everyday, I get massive headaches, and can't sleep for shit anymore. I've been lurking around the forum for a week or so and have read some very information threads, that's why I decided to post here. I have never put myself out there like this before, and it's very hard. I have such a bad headache right now, I'm going to end this post. I would like to continually update this thread as I progress or degrees.... =/ Please don't get me wrong, subs are great for an amount of time, but I truly believe after being on them for such a long time, they are killing me slowly. Anyways, thanks for taking the time to listen, it feels good to actually be around people like me. I can't be honest with my doctor, because all she cares about is the money I bring in. Have a good evening everyone.

Thanks,

Chaz

Post subject: Re: Long time sub user
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:08 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been reading about some people on this forum that have went through the rapid detox program. If you don't mind posting about here I would be very appreciative. How much subs were you on? Did you have withdraw after the procedure? I work a lot and can't afford to take much time off. If I am going to drop $10k on this I need to know it's going to work. Thanks so much!

Chaz.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Chaz,

So you're down to 12mgs? That's a big improvement! Don't discount all the work it took to get back down. I understand being frustrated about dosing multiple times a day, and how that can feel like it's defeating the whole purpose of suboxone treatment in general. I dosed twice daily for my 6 years on suboxone. Why don't you try setting one little goal at a time. Try to get those three doses down to two? I would take 6mgs in the morning, and 6mgs in the late afternoon/ early evening. If that is too drastic, you could just lessen the third dose right now, to like to 1mg, until you phase it out. Once you get stable on two doses, it's easier to taper down further, if that's what you're after. I took turns lowering each dose. I'd take a little less one morning, but keep my later dose the same. Then when it came time for the next dose drop, I'd take it off the later dose.. rinse repeat. Our bodies have a pretty decent way of stabilizing to lower doses of bupe, you just have to get through the mental hurdles.

I'm not experienced regarding benzos. All I know is that you shouldn't try quitting both at the same time. One or the other.. and definitely talk to your doctor about a good xanax taper plan before you do it.

Can I ask how much water you're drinking? I know that when I was on suboxone, it was really easy to go all day without drinking enough water. Dehydration is a big cause of headaches. Just a thought regarding the headache situation.

Welcome!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:13 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

tinydancer wrote:
Hi Chaz,

So you're down to 12mgs? That's a big improvement! Don't discount all the work it took to get back down. I understand being frustrated about dosing multiple times a day, and how that can feel like it's defeating the whole purpose of suboxone treatment in general. I dosed twice daily for my 6 years on suboxone. Why don't you try setting one little goal at a time. Try to get those three doses down to two? I would take 6mgs in the morning, and 6mgs in the late afternoon/ early evening. If that is too drastic, you could just lessen the third dose right now, to like to 1mg, until you phase it out. Once you get stable on two doses, it's easier to taper down further, if that's what you're after. I took turns lowering each dose. I'd take a little less one morning, but keep my later dose the same. Then when it came time for the next dose drop, I'd take it off the later dose.. rinse repeat. Our bodies have a pretty decent way of stabilizing to lower doses of bupe, you just have to get through the mental hurdles.

I'm not experienced regarding benzos. All I know is that you shouldn't try quitting both at the same time. One or the other.. and definitely talk to your doctor about a good xanax taper plan before you do it.

Can I ask how much water you're drinking? I know that when I was on suboxone, it was really easy to go all day without drinking enough water. Dehydration is a big cause of headaches. Just a thought regarding the headache situation.

Welcome!

Thank you so much for your post! I will def take your advice and try to get down to dosing twice daily. I am stable now on 12mg, but yes still dosing 3 times daily. =/ I wonder if being off the Xanax will make it easier to wean off the subs. About the headaches, I am getting them pretty bad lately, and no I don't drink much water, but now that you have mentioned it, I will start pounding some water. I think the mental part of tapering is the hardest part for me, but luckily I have a great fiancé that is extremely supportive and can help me with that. Again, thank you for your post, you made my day quite better!

Thanks,

Chaz.