It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:47 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi everyone! I've been on Sub for a little over 6 years.. way way too long and I really want off it. In the past several years I've noticed it has started to turn on me, I've lost my zest for life, no interest in anything, no motivation, feel like I'm existing and not living. I've read countless stories of people who have been on sub for many years, who feel the same way. I only had a 1 year addiction to pain pills but now here I am 6 years later, addicted to and struggling to get off the sub. It did save my career back then and got me back on track in life but I really want to be off it, be completely clean, and not have to depend on a drug every day to function.

I've already started tapering. A few months ago, I was taking 16-20 mg a day. I realize I started abusing the sub because I felt so sluggish and unmotivated, I thought taking more and more would help me feel better but it didn't and I was really just chasing something that wasn't even there. Since then, with the help of some really awesome people I've met online, I've been able to taper down to 3.5 mg a day. My plan is to drop in 0.25-0.5 increments depending on how my body reacts and then do the liquid taper once I get below 1 mg. This will probably take me a while, but since I've been on it so long and I'm a big baby when it comes to w/d, I'm ok with taking my time. Slow and steady wins the race, right!

I'm expecting some taper buddies I met at another forum to be joining in here too hopefully. We got pretty tight and want to stay in this journey together with the support of others who've been there, done that, and anyone else who is trying to do this. I'll be honest, we got into "trouble" at the other place for trying to get into contact outside the forum and that place apparently doesn't allow private messaging anymore, but before we knew that and were trying to figure out how to PM each other (we all had over 100 posts), they started deleting our posts out of the blue with no explanation. When I questioned this and asked for an explanation for the deleted posts, they banned me for a week. Then they started deleting everyone else's posts who would even bring up the issue and question it. Even long time members were like "WTH, is going on here?". We honestly didn't even break any forum rules, weren't using foul language, or talking about anything illegal. It was ridiculous.

I think this is a good forum here though, with some good experience and knowledge here from what I've read. I used to post here when I was pregnant but couldn't remember my old login info so just re-registered. TIA for any support, encouragement, advice, and whatnot.

Last edited by KSinMT on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:22 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Welcome! I'm also tapering, I started a couple of weeks ago. I've been on sub's film for 3 years 8.mg half in am other half in pm. I can't wait to finally be free of this med. Don't get me wrong Suboxone saved my life..... Talk to you soon and welcome back to the most awesome forum on the net !

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:31 pm 

Are you talking about Addiction Survivors? That's the only one I know where they don't allow contact between members. Maybe they think some illegal drug transfer will happen and don't want to get sued.

We do have a lot of members here who are just like you. Most of the ones who did quit don't come around as much anymore. Too bad, we could use their wisdom on how they did it. Others who have quit told me they hate Suboxone now and don't want to bash it here so they stay away, even though they say it saved their life.

If you are going to do something this big, do it right. Get a good support system in place like N.A., or Rational Recovery. Whatever floats your boat. A good recovery program is a must for most everyone. Of course we have exceptions to that too. You mostly need some phone numbers of recovered addicts that you can call when the cravings come back. Getting completely off opiates is not an easy task and it will take everything you got inside to be successful.

Would you like me to post all the recovery programs again? Say the word and it will be done.

Good luck on your journey and welcome back to our forum,

R62

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello wannabefree and rule!

Rule, it's drugs.com and they apparently used to allow private messaging but disabled it. There is a way to ask private questions to members who are your friends, through the Q&A section but as soon as we started talking about it, they started deleting and banning. There's some long term members with thousands of posts in an uproar over there right now as the deleting and banning seems to be getting out of hand now for no good reason. I agree that it possibly is because they don't want to be responsible if there's illegal activity or something happens to someone outside the forum because of a crazy person but they aren't even giving any kind of warning or even allowing any talk of deleted posts or banned members (that don't even contain personal info). It's really too bad, because people come to these places in need of support, and often the members and forums become their lifelines, and when you take that away with no kind of warning..well I don't think it's right. It certainly threw me and a few others through a loop this last week.

Anyways, enough of that- I really didn't come here to vent about another forum. I actually just registered at SMART Recovery the other day and would like to start attending some online meetings there, as they don't have any actual meetings in my area (but maybe if I get established with them online, I could start one where I live!). Yes, it seems one of the keys to success is having a good recovery program onboard.

Admittedly, I've struggled a bit this week, and even went backwards a little by taking a little x-tra above my 3.5mg for a couple days instead of pushing through it. I am disappointed in myself, but am committed to getting back on track and sticking at 3.5mg for maybe another week. I've got a lot going on right now- my dad is dying of cancer and we just put him on Hospice this last week, he doesn't have much time left. So, if I need to stall the taper while going through this, then that is what I'll do but right now I'm just taking it one day at a time. I really want this though. Will be back later!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:21 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

KS.... I'm so sorry about your Daddy... You, your Daddy and family are in my prayers. I know what you're going through we had to put my mother in hospice last year before she died it was terrible. if you need to talk I will be here for you. I'm tapering 3mg twice a day. I can't do it once a day I have to do it twice a day. I tried taking it once a day but the withdrawals were too bad. please let us know how your daddy is doing....talk to you soon hugs and prayers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:45 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi wannabfree, thank you so much for the kind words of support. It's no doubt a difficult time...my dad's still pretty young too..68 and although he's had a lot of health problems over the years I never thought I'd be dealing with this so soon and while my kids are so young. It's never easy to lose a parent and I'm sorry to hear you've been through it with your mother.

I understand it's really difficult for some to not dose more than once a day..I had to cut down from dosing 4x a day, down to 2 and it was hard! I know they say the half life is supposed to hold you, but I think that once our bodies and brains become programmed into getting sub x times a day, at certain times, and after so long of doing that, it makes it hard to adapt to the change. I'm sure you know the importance of dosing the same amt., same time each day and feeling stable before tapering down again. I myself, need to stabilize now at 3.5/day for a bit before dropping again. Will check in later!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:29 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I am interested in seeing the list of recovery groups. I use AA...NA is a little sketchy in our town acording to some ex-junkies I know who got clean. Are there online groups for Rational Recovery?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:13 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thanks sweetie! I also lost my Daddy in 03... I'm so sorry your having to go through so much! You sound like a very strong person so I think your gonna be ok :) about the other forums on that website you mentioned is messed up! Wow! Deleting posts...smdh. Hugs and prayers.....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:17 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Rhetorx1.....have you looked through this entire website? Sorry I don't have an answer for you :( good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:15 am 
New Poster
New Poster

KSinMT wrote:
Hi everyone! I've been on Sub for a little over 6 years.. way way too long and I really want off it. In the past several years I've noticed it has started to turn on me, I've lost my zest for life, no interest in anything, no motivation, feel like I'm existing and not living. I've read countless stories of people who have been on sub for many years, who feel the same way. I only had a 1 year addiction to pain pills but now here I am 6 years later, addicted to and struggling to get off the sub. It did save my career back then and got me back on track in life but I really want to be off it, be completely clean, and not have to depend on a drug every day to function.

I've already started tapering. A few months ago, I was taking 16-20 mg a day. I realize I started abusing the sub because I felt so sluggish and unmotivated, I thought taking more and more would help me feel better but it didn't and I was really just chasing something that wasn't even there. Since then, with the help of some really awesome people I've met online, I've been able to taper down to 3.5 mg a day. My plan is to drop in 0.25-0.5 increments depending on how my body reacts and then do the liquid taper once I get below 1 mg. This will probably take me a while, but since I've been on it so long and I'm a big baby when it comes to w/d, I'm ok with taking my time. Slow and steady wins the race, right!

I'm expecting some taper buddies I met at another forum to be joining in here too hopefully. We got pretty tight and want to stay in this journey together with the support of others who've been there, done that, and anyone else who is trying to do this. I'll be honest, we got into "trouble" at the other place for trying to get into contact outside the forum and that place apparently doesn't allow private messaging anymore, but before we knew that and were trying to figure out how to PM each other (we all had over 100 posts), they started deleting our posts out of the blue with no explanation. When I questioned this and asked for an explanation for the deleted posts, they banned me for a week. Then they started deleting everyone else's posts who would even bring up the issue and question it. Even long time members were like "WTH, is going on here?". We honestly didn't even break any forum rules, weren't using foul language, or talking about anything illegal. It was ridiculous.

I think this is a good forum here though, with some good experience and knowledge here from what I've read. I used to post here when I was pregnant but couldn't remember my old login info so just re-registered. TIA for any support, encouragement, advice, and whatnot.