It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:50 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello all, Hello Subox Doc,
I finally decided to register and post tonight. I've been taking suboxone since Dec 2007, and I've been up & down doses from 2mg~6mg per day for maintenance. My doctor says his average pt is on subs for 1 to 2 years and I'm struggling with guilt that I've hit the 2 year and 2 month mark and I still don't feel ready to quit. Actually, no, I WANT to get off this stuff, but it doesn't feel like my time yet. I think I've probably been driving my dr crazy with "I'm ready to taper--no, it didn't work, nevermind" plus the fact that I'm trying to taper/quit then failing is a real self-esteem buster.
My first goal is to learn to accept suboxone as a helpful medical treatment, and not just another opiate I gotta kick. Suboxone saved me, I respect it. So I've decided to come here and spill my neuroses all over the place, because I way too shy to appear publicly at meetings...
Well then, Hi everybody! I'm a 28 yo woman from TX, former Norco/Lorcet/Vicodin addict. Nice to meet y'all. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:50 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Welcome enlightenerd!

Glad to have you here. I think there are amazing people here from every walk of life to help you with support and for you to help too! I look forward to your participation in the future!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:04 am 
Yes....Welcome Enlightened! I'm glad you decided to join us here. You'll find some amazing people and some great information.
I don't thiink you're alone at all in the way you are feeling. There are some folks here who are pretty sure they'll stay on Sub for life or at least for a very, very long time.....but there are many of us who hope one day to come off the medication. There are even a few who have successfully tapered and gone off Sub and still come and share with us (a big thanks to them!)
As for me, I've been on for seven months. Honestly I had hoped to be further in my recovery by now and I had hoped to be down to 2mg or less, with a goal of being completely off Sub by the one year mark. I was able to taper down to 4mg/day without much trouble at all, but anything less than that seems to start some cravings and thoughts that I'm not fond of. So, here I am still at 3-4mg/day, been at that dose for a good 6 weeks or so and don't see myself trying again to drop for a little while. I think we just need to go with our gut, like you have. We know when we're tapering if we're heading for trouble. I'd rather stay on Sub for years than go back to the life of chasing pills.
Anyway, you're not alone! Maybe joining here and sharing will be good for you and add another angle to your recovery. It's important that we have a clear understanding that these orange pills aren't going to do all the work for us. If we don't do anything else in our recovery....we will surely need to stay on them forever!!
Whatever your goals are as far as your medication, you're welcome here. We all learn from each other.....so please post frequently.....we get into some pretty stuff sometimes!!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Welcome!!!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:22 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi enlightenerd,
Hello and welcome to the Forum! It is nice that you're here. It's great having someone with longtime Suboxone treatment here to share their experience with us. Please come back and post or comment on a post as often as you can the more people we have in the discussion the better the discussion will be.... Anyway's glad you are here and best of luck with your recovery.... We are ALL in this thing called Recovery together!!!! :D

God Bless
TW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:46 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Welcome enlightened,
I was just discussing the fact with my counselor yesterday that I think a lot of people feel pressured or are sometimes pushed to come off the suboxone. I think many people focus on the time frame and not enough on their own recovery. I know I was the first time I was on suboxone. I made it my goal to get on and off as fast as I could. Well, I succeeded at that. Unfortunately what that led to was relapse after a few months without my suboxone. Now that I am back on suboxone (about 10 mos now) I am not in any hurry. Don't feel guilty about the time spent on suboxone. Be proud of yourself for the time spent off opiates! Thats our goal after all. I am probably going a lot slower than I could because of what happened the first time but I am determined to take my time and trust how I feel. Nice to have you here and congratulations on your recovery. Hope to hear a lot more about whats going on with you.

*Christopher Robin to Pooh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:35 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hello, welcome to the forum and nice to meet ya....

First, I want to say I respect and envy the fact that you can say you have been in recovery (on suboxone) for over two years. Seriously that is awesome. I hope that I can say that in time. I am 8 months with suboxone (in recovery/clean) as of tomorrow, the 20th. I started (with first and former doctor) at 24 mg per day. I am currently at 12 mg per day (with 2nd and current doctor). I do NOT plan on tapering anytime soon. The only reason I would thing about tapering is to save some money. But for now, I would like to stick to 12 mg per day. As far as staying on suboxone, I plan to (my choice) stay on suboxone for as long as I need it. As of now, I need it so I am sticking with it. Anyone who does taper or is thinking about tapering has my upmost respect as well. There is nothing wrong with wanting to come off of suboxone just like there is nothing wrong with staying on it, as long it is for the right reasons...

I can relate with being shy and not wanting to go to meetings. I tried 'em, but I find this forum is the best help for me out of every support system I have tried. I am amongst people like myself. No one judges and we are all here for help/support. I hope that you too can find the support that you deserve, from this site and else where. Please do not be affraid to ask if you have any questions, comments, or concerns.

Thanks for sharing and take care.

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." ---Salvador Dali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It is great that you are here. I wish I would have come here PRIOR to jumping off the suboxone because I would have been far more educated on what to expect and what to do and not do. I just posted my withdrawal story but in short, I felt very pressured at 2.5 years on suboxone to get off of it. I felt like I had failed because tapering was so hard for me and so uncomfortable. It would have been nice to have even online support and information before going off of it.

Cherie