It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey all.

I've been on this forum for some time now, and have seen a LOT of people attempt to get off Sub. I'm curious where most of these people are now. There are just a few ex-Subbers still regularly posting here.

So this is a shout out for those who've gotten off Sub. How are you going now? How is your life today compared to your life on Sub? How do you feel about your time spent on Sub? Have you experienced any relapses? How much harder was it to stay clean after you got off Sub compared to when you were on it?

It'd be really cool if the mods could start a thread of a list of people who've successfully tapered / jumped off Suboxone and are doing well today. It can help instill hope in those people who are considering or in the process of getting off Sub now.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:54 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Good idea..but the problem is that once off sub you have no want to really checkout sub sites. I feel my interest waining quickly, and it only been 22 days for me!
While on sub i was absolutely obsessed with it. How to taper, how bad its going to be, how long, when do you start feeling ok?? There was almost nothing else entering my head. So constantly searching sites for a bit of light at the end of the tunnel.

I think most people just let it all go into the past and move forward into a normal life.
I wouldnt assume people have relapsed etc. Not that you are. I understand just would be a good idea for positivity.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:40 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I think what c1234 said explains my life on subs best:

" i was absolutely obsessed with it. How to taper, how bad its going to be, how long, when do you start feeling ok?? There was almost nothing else entering my head."

Everyday for my 4 years of sub use I struggled with these obsessive thoughts. I have been off subs for over three months now and I am finally starting to have "normal" thoughts that dont concern my dosing habits. Its wonderful waking up without the first thought on my mind being suboxone.

I did have a slip about a month ago that lasted one weekend, but it just made me truly realize how great sobriety is. I feel like I have finally lost the obsession to take opiates of any kind. Just to be safe, I am going to get the vivitrol shot next wednesday as a safety net, but I think I would still be ok without it.

I have been reluctantly going to AA meetings and I did get a sponsor a couple months ago which has helped get me on the right path. Trust me, I was VERY reluctant to get into the program, but now that I made some positive connection and have learned some new things about how to live without drugs, I do feel much "safer" in sobriety. I think I would feel very alone right now if I had none of that.

Not everyday is good but at least I dont wake up sick everyday from withdrawal or side effects from medication, and can think about things unrelated to drugs. I am grateful for my sobriety today. A few moments of artificial euphoria each day were not worth the life of misery I endured in the time in between.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've been off Sub for just over 6 months and I feel pretty darn good these days. The downsides: I feel like I get tired more than I did on Sub, but I also sleep a lot less (usu. about 6 hours a night). I feel like I have more aches and pains at times but I take ibuprofen and it works. I'm on Wellbutrin, my only med.

Overall I'm really happy I got off. I feel more present for my life. I laugh and smile more, enjoy my kids more, enjoy music, nature, films, etc. more - and my sex life is 1000% better. Also, I do experience the stress and aggravation of every day life more, but for me it's worth it to feel the good feelings again.

I have to say the desire for opiates kicked back in as soon as I started feeling better after my detox - just after the 60 day mark. I admit I did test the waters a few of times, but didn't experience opiates as being euphoric anymore.

I'm moderately involved in NA, and I have a sponsor who has become a great friend that I talk to often. I also see a therapist (LADC). In my opinion going off of Suboxone (or any opiate, really) requires involvement in some kind of program where one has support and accountability to other people. It would be just too easy to slip back into a habit for someone like me.

I'm very, very happy to be off of Suboxone today.
Glad to see the forum still thriving -

Lilly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:56 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

great post lilly, I completely relate to everything you just said. I havent posted much in the last couple of years because I had been back on suboxone, but now that I am off again and feeling good I wanted to poke my head in and see how people are doing. I remember you from when I posted back in 2011, when I tapered off for the first time. Well, I was able to get off that summer with barely any withdrawal, but once clean, I left this forum and didnt participate in any recovery programs. That is surely what allowed my relapse to continue.
I dont think people realize that the very same pleasure and strength they get out of sharing on this forum is the same they will get from going to meetings and connecting with other addicts out there. I was completely dreading the meeting thing when I got out of rehab in july, but since I really started going to meetings a month ago, I feel like I am not alone and am accountable like you said.

p.s. the music, art, film, etc. is a lot better now that I am clean too. I think its that sensitivity that returns when your brain is free of opiates.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:35 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey TeeJay – great topic. I quit subs last November after being on them for 3-4 years(I’m 27). It’s been about 10months and I’m doing great! Life is so much better without subs. I could rant and rave but overall I’m just a lot happier. I have more confidence in myself and I’ve got much better relationships with those around me. I think using(even subs) makes us terribly self centered to the point we don’t even realize it.

I don’t really have any complaints about my time on subs. I would have probably quit sooner if I knew how easy it was to get off with a proper taper. BUT it’s also good that I took my time as it allowed me to mature and focus on keeping good company. It would have been hard to stop if I still had friends around using. Also, I quit on my terms, when I was ready...which is clutch. Fortunately, I have not had any re-lapses. I had one close call about a month clean, but stayed away. I don’t have any cravings and I often go days, maybe weeks without thinking about opiates.

I don’t think I really suffered from paws…I don’t know maybe, but maybe not? Whatever I felt was never really bad. I think “we” are inclined to believe any negative feelings are w/d’s or PAWS. BUT if you stop to think about it, a lot of people started using because it made them feel better or masked insecurities/depression/loneliness. It would be unreasonable to expect those underlying feelings to completely disappear once you stop, right? You have to address your issues not mask them. This is life and it’s awesome….

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:14 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I love that! "THis is life and it's awesome". I'm looking forward to it.