It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:48 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I am a professional in my 40s. I am on my second time being treated with suboxone. After a few months of my last treatment the doctor tapered me off and I spent only a few months clean and went back to opiates. I went back on the program once the use of opiates started accelerating again and have been on suboxone about 6 weeks now. My problem is the only doctor in the area believes in short term use and I would like to be on long term maintenance. I take 1 1/2 a day, it works perfectly and I have never felt better than when on suboxone. It truly gives me my life back. He has group counseling that you participate in before seeing him for your appointment. While you wait for an hour or more with the other patients he has a counselor talk with us about NA and 12 step programs. When asked what I am doing for my recovery ( he knows I am not going to meetings) I told him I am taking suboxone. He informed me that I will have to go elsewhere as they "don't do that there". It makes me feel bad and worried after every session with him. Every week I listen to his jabs about trading a drug for a drug, not true recovery while on suboxone etc. and asked if I went to meetings. He recovered with NA and AA and has never taken suboxone. I have talked to the doctor regarding long term maintenance and he has not said he wouldn't treat me that way but has never agreed either. I worry that I will have nowhere to go for treatment soon. Suboxone is truly a miracle in my life and friends and family are not even aware of my addiction problem and I have no one to turn to. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

George, You need to find another doctor. He is using his professional opinion combined with his own experience it sounds like. But, remember this; He works for you. you hired him to treat you but somewhere somehow our society has put doctors on this pedestal that they are better than us. NO, they may know more but that is it. You have to have a trust with the doctor you see, and if you don't have that and he doesn't listen to you then find another one. There are clinics coming up everywhere now since the government reconized that there is a severe problem with opiate addiction. The medical industry and pharmacutical industry said this (opiates)is what works for pain and haven't tried to come up with anything else , now we have suboxone and it does work, you sound like it is what saved your life and i know it saved mine. Keep looking for another doctor. Hopefully, he gives you a month supply which will give at least that amount of time to find a new one. Don't give up. Opiate Hell is not reccommended. DEA and FDA or rather our government has not approved suboxone for pain management which is why they want to give you only so much then you end up back on opiates. I had a doctor like that too, for a while and his suggestion was take suboxone for 3 months then opiates for 3 months then he could put me back on suboxone, but i refused to do that. Maybe you can present your case to him in a different way but i feel he is a hardcore NA, AA kind of person which is to me a religion i am not willing to convert to. Good luck and do find another doctor that will listen and care for YOU.

Post subject: Your story
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have a friend in the same boat out here in Chicago, he has been on suboxone 4 years and his doc said its time to stop! My friend feels he is not ready! Does anyone know of good doctors like what george is looking for, a long term maintenance type of dose for life or yanno...for a long time?? George I wish you much luck, let me or us know how things are going.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:03 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Have you tried any of the doctor locators? There is one on this site, naabt site, as well as suboxone.com. Some doctors register with only one, so if you can't find what you're looking for on one site, be sure to try another. It appears that more and more doctors are OK with prescribing Sub long-term now. 12-step programs are definitely not for everyone and it's NOT unusual to be told we're not in recovery simply because we are taking Suboxone. Don't let them get to you!
And please let us know how you're doing!
Melissa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If it works for you and your enjoying life again and not having too terrible of side effects why not find another Dr. who realizes opiate addiction is a lifelong illness and doesn't think some short term treatment is going to cure you :idea: I'll take Suboxone over using and eventually death or imprisonment anyday. It really makes me sad though to hear about others in the recovery community turning their backs on fellow addicts.. Many simply do not have experience with or an understanding of how Suboxone works. I know from my experience as an addict I've wanted to point out what I think are problems in others to make myself feel better about myself and the poor choices I've often times made. I've gotten better about that and I recognize it as nothing more than leftover using behavior when it does occassionally happen. I wonder sometimes if that isn't what happens to other addicts who aren't able to accept the different choices of others in recovery, i.e. Suboxone patients. Anyways I'd check the NAABT website for Dr.'s in your area for sure and hopefully you'll find someone who won't require you to sit through hour long verbal abuse sessions. Good luck man don't give up on it I know life has gotten alot better for me already in just a little over 2 years :D

Post subject: long term suboxone
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

If taking suboxone will keep you from spending every spare moment thinking about obtainine and using opiates, then I say go for it. I had to go off it after 3 years because the nursing board did not consider me sober on suboxone. I don't know about anyone else, but it was also really messing up my tongue. Don't know why. I ran into a physician who I went through treatment with 3 years ago, and he is still taking the same dose of suboxone after all this time. Doesn't think he will ever stop. Suboxone treats withdrawal very well, but it also decreases cravings and blocks the effects of other opiates. There are some real positives about it, and people who decide to take it should not be shamed the way I once was. Okay, that is all I have to say on the matter. Deb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I do have a few spots for long-term maintenance by telepsychiatry; I am full right now, but a spot usually opens up every month or so. For telepsychiatry I have certain requirements; the person must have been on Suboxone for two years already, must be over 30 years old (sorry, but age makes a huge difference in how people do with Suboxone), they cannot have any other active addictions, they need a 'stable' life i.e. must be employed or on permanent disability, they cannot have a significant chronic pain problem, their top dose must be 16 mg per day or lower... And most important, they must first have tried to find a local doctor but do not have one available. If a person is in that category, you can contact me through my web site-- the one at wisconsinopiates.com has my rates and also a link for sending me an email.

Use the finders first, though, at suboxone.com and naabt.com.

JJ