It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Let me start out saying that I was using anything I could get my hands on and doing just about anything to get it, but oxy/roxy's and heroin were my fav..my everything. It's what I lived for. This was my life for 10 years. I got pregnant in high school..married, had 2 more wonderful children. I hate it but I cared more about getting "dialed in" than my kids.Of course, I denied it then but the proof was in the pudding as they say. After divorcing, I was in and out of abusive relationships and dragging my kids along with me.Leaving them at my parents for days or even weeks at a time. I've been pimped out by my boyfriend and raped twice. I'm surprised I'm still alive. I will never be able to let go of the guilt I feel for what my children were exposed to.The best thing to happen was getting my kids taken from me by my parents. That was my bottom. This was 2008
I went to an outpatient program for 90 days.along with suboxone, as well as counseling and group therapy, I learned what my triggers are and coping techniques.I was clean for a year. After I was tapered down to 10 mg a day, I started using again.For a year + it was like I had never stopped using. The guy I was with at the time burned our house down after an argument that resulted in me going to stay at a friends house for a couple days..He wanted to kill me, he made that clear the next time I saw him. Once again, a wake up call. After filing a restraining order I started going to a Dr, for suboxone again. 3 years later, I have my kids back..and I thank God everyday for that. I have my own home and a good job. I go to N/A meetings twice a week. I still have cravings everyday but the dose I'm on keeps me in check. My Dr. said that I could passably be on the 16 mg dose for years..it's been 3 years already and I'm doing great. Well, about a month ago that Dr. stopped taking my insurance(even though it only covered the lab work) and I had to find a new Dr. for my suboxone. This new Dr. tapered me down to 14 mg on the first visit. Went back a week later told him I'm doing ok with the 14 mg a day. He told me to take the 14 mg a day for 1 week then taper down to 12 mg a day for 2 weeks..then I go back for another apt. He is saying that I will be off suboxone in 5 months. I dont want to be off suboxone b/c I'm pretty sure I will start using again. Right now I an taking the 12 mg a day and having BAD cravings and feeling physically ill.It's to the point that I would use if given the opportunity. I don't care that I'm using Suboxone as a crutch or substituting one thing for another. I've gotten my life straight and I don't want to loose that.I've called his office and gotten no help.I'm being told it's all in my head. I'm worried that he's just trying to hurry me through so he can make more money. I am afraid and I don't know what to do. Should I try another Dr.? It's so expensive to start, I want to find one that understands! Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

First off, congratulations on the last few years! That's quite a turn around from where you were.

All I can say is that you need a new doctor, STAT. Or to go back to your old one. Is the lab work considerably more? I'm guessing so if it caused you to switch doctors. I'd start looking for new doctors to see, I know it's expensive but your well being depends on it. I'm so sorry.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Because of the type of insurance I have my old Dr. can't see me at all.. I've asked about paying out of pocket for labs. Apparently I can't choose if I use insurance or not. Same goes for other Dr.'s. They have to accept my form of insurance to see me at all. I just dont want to have to go through 5 or 6 Dr.'s before I find one that will keep me on my maintenance dose untill I feel I'm ready to start tapering. I've read that their are some people that can never be tapered off.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Really? You can't just pay cash? That's crazy.. I've never heard of that. I haven't had insurance since I was like 15 and still on my Dad's insurance. I went through 8 years of maintenance without any insurance and was never even questioned about it. I wonder if it's a state thing..?

Or maybe it has to do with the new laws coming up since everyone will be required to be insured? Hmm..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I do have a state "medicare" type insurance. I think it's odd too. But, all the sub clinics/Dr.'s that I've called..when I said I had Blue Care, they said they cant see me unless it's someone that does accept it and those are scarce with a really long wait list

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Until you can find a doctor that takes your insurance, you may need to start calling these doctors back and explaining that you need to pay cash, and getting quotes on their fees. I'm still unclear if you've you've tried this. As if you had no insurance at all, ask them how much they charge per visit. If I'm dense and you've already done this, I apologize.

Let me know what happens.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I thought about doing that..calling as if I had no ins. I dont know if they check to see if I dont or if they could find out later on that I do and then kick me out. I dont want to be shady about it but I'm thinking a new Dr. pronto is what I've got to do. I'm going to continue calling around..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

No, they don't care! In fact, it's more of a headache for them to deal with insurance companies. As long as you pay for your visit, it's no difference to them. It's like going to the pharmacy to pick up medications. You can do so with or without insurance, they don't check, nor do they care. Just be specific on the phone, tell them you're not using insurance and you'd like to know how much it is per visit.

I guess I should admit that I really only know about the US, so I'm hoping that you're in the US.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My dr only accepts cash. And the other clinics I've been to have been the same or close to it. It's $300 or so for the initial visit and $100 or $140 (depending on whether or not they urine test u) for for each monthly additional visit. If it's been more than two months since your last visit they start u back at $300. A little pricy but cheaper and much safer and healthy than scoring oxy or roxy on the street