It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Long Term Heath Risks
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:32 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi everyone, First time here and happy it exists. I've been on suboxone for a year now. I am so thankful to have the opportunity to be prescribed it. I have no side effect so far. I'm just curious how long I'm able to be prescribed it. Is it something I can take for my lifetime? Is there a limit of prescription I'm allowed, being on Medicade?(my insurance)
I had my yearly physical and my doctor informed me my liver enzymes are extremely high. I've heard it could be because on the suboxone. Please help me here on this one. Thanks, Lana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:15 am 

Hi Lana and welcome to the forum!! I'm glad you found us! You will find that people here have had a variety of experiences on sub. Some of us have done just fine and others have had numerous problems with side effects and tapering.

To answer some of your questions: no, there is not, to my knowledge, any limit on the length of time you can be on suboxone when you're on Medicaid. It really depends on the sub doctor. Some doctors want you to spend as little time possible on sub, while others advocate lifetime maintenance. What does your doctor say? My doctor acknowledges that some people will need to be on sub for a lifetime, but will help his patients taper off of it if that's what they want to do.

I believe you are correct that there may be a connection between elevated liver enzymes and suboxone use. I don't know of any definitive studies that prove cause and effect, but there appears to be anecdotal evidence of this. I am aware of a couple of herbs that are supposed to help the liver function better. They are milk thistle and dandelion root. I wouldn't start taking them, however, unless you doctor thinks it's OK.

I hope I've answered some of your questions. Another member is likely to come along and provide more expertise. :)

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:57 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello fallinstarzz and welcome. If you have any history of IV or shared needle use then you should have been screened for Hep B and C as well as HIV. Many things can cause liver inflammation and should be investigated or considered before attributing it to the suboxone. Once that is done then you and your doc collaboratively would need to do a risk/benefit analysis regarding staying on the sub. What would happen if you tapered and stopped the sub? How high is the chance of relapse? Questions to ponder when deciding. Good luck and please post again in the future if you find out anything more. I agree with Amy regarding the herbs, keep your doctor in the loop.