It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello all: I'm new here and was just doing some research about Suboxone and pregnancy. I am fairly worried and I know that you're supposed to switch to Subutex while pregnant, but I was wondering if anyone knew if Suboxone was still about just as safe as Subutex during pregnancy? I would assume it was, reading a lot of the great, inspiring success stories. I just see a lot of stuff people post elsewhere on the internet, some being that Suboxone is linked with SIDS? I wouldn't think this to be true, since causes of SIDS is so unknown, but I heard it would increase the risk of it and I hear a lot of talk of people who know others losing a child on Suboxone. Also I was just wondering if Suboxone has any known long-term effects on a baby if you take it during your pregnancy? I see it is a very narrow topic, since Suboxone hasn't been studied too broadly for pregnancy but is there anyone here with a child more than a year who is perfectly healthy with no problems ?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

prodigy wrote:
Hello all: I'm new here and was just doing some research about Suboxone and pregnancy. I am fairly worried and I know that you're supposed to switch to Subutex while pregnant, but I was wondering if anyone knew if Suboxone was still about just as safe as Subutex during pregnancy? I would assume it was, reading a lot of the great, inspiring success stories. I just see a lot of stuff people post elsewhere on the internet, some being that Suboxone is linked with SIDS? I wouldn't think this to be true, since causes of SIDS is so unknown, but I heard it would increase the risk of it and I hear a lot of talk of people who know others losing a child on Suboxone. Also I was just wondering if Suboxone has any known long-term effects on a baby if you take it during your pregnancy? I see it is a very narrow topic, since Suboxone hasn't been studied too broadly for pregnancy but is there anyone here with a child more than a year who is perfectly healthy with no problems ?

Yes, my daughter is 4.5 and she's completely fine. She was a Sub baby, but I did switch to Subutex very soon after learning I was pregnant. When I delivered her, I was on 3 mg of Subutex and she had no withdrawals or any observable effects from the Sub. My doctors all knew about the situation and guided me through it. She stayed in the hospital 5 days, since that's how long I stayed (c-section). She's my third child, and she was no more or less difficult or uncomfortable than my first two.

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:25 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I just found out i was pregnant (I'm 6 weeks today) and when I told my sub doctor last week she kept me on Suboxone stating that shown thus far to be safe during pregnancy. She did not even mention the possibility of changing me to Subutex. I don't think she ever prescribes subutex to anyone, actually.
I know this isn't my thread but after reading it, i'm a little worried to hear that suboxone may be responsible for SIDS or that some women on suboxone may lose their babies. Somebody please tell me this isn't true. Like the OP, I would like to know. And should i be demanding subutex? I'm currently on 4mgs of suboxone so i'm getting about 1 mg of naloxone as well.
Laddertripper - its great to hear your daughter is and always has been healthy, happy and thriving! Thanks for posting.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Jen- Subutex is preferred because obviously it does not contain naloxone in it as the Suboxone does, and they don't know whether or not naloxone causes any problems with babies so its a pretty easy equation... The idea is to expose the baby to the least amount of crap as possible so why give them naloxone when you could simply avoid it by taking Subutex? I would definitely ask her to switch you. That being said, I do not think that there is any proven risks of the naloxone so you aren't doing anything WRONG by not switching.

About SIDS..... Anyone who claims that Sub is linked to SIDS is an idiot. It's simple- NOBODY knows what causes SIDS.. PERIOD. Therefor, there is no way of knowing if sub is linked to it. Being fearful of SIDS is normal ( I was terrified as all mothers are) but NOT because you are on Suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have read that opiate use/withdrawal can be linked to SIDS, and that is probably the ONLY connection that Suboxone would have to it. Whatever you read was probably linking NAS with SIDS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I would switch doctors if you can, or convince your dr. to switch you to subutex. Its always better to be safe than sorry. If it is recommended to take subutex during pregnancy, than theres no reason she should refuse you. Good luck!