It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:26 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

My husband has been taking Suboxone for 12 years to break his addiction to Lortab and Percocet. We have never really discussed him weaning off of the suboxone and I for one did not realize the difficulty this would create for him. I have noticed over time that he is unable to feel or express any sort of compassion, kindness or tenderness to anyone and truly seems numb and out of touch. My doctor prescribed Xanax 0.25 mg for me to deal with the anxiety caused by the problems in my marriage and my husband has been known to find them and take them (leaving me 1). No I put them under lock and key. I have to say I am very worried about the combination of the sub and Xanax and the suboxone effects themselves over over the long term. Although, the sub has allowed him to function on a daily basis.. I am truly afraid of the long term repercussions of its use. My marriage cannot withstand this much longer.. please help

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:19 pm 

There really isn't much we or you can do for someone else who doesn't want help. Have you talked about tapering and getting off the Suboxone with your husband?

IMO, he is an addict just like most of us are. Give me Xanax and I'll take more than prescribed. Nothing personal, it's just the addict in me. Hiding and or locking yours up is a good idea. The effect of Xanax is multiplied when mixed with Suboxone. That is why all the Dr.'s who go through the training are told not to prescribe both at the same time.

All I can suggest is for you to go to an Al-Anon meeting. Yes, the group is for spouses or loved ones of alcoholics, but addicts are the same animal. The point is for you to find some peace in the relationship. There is nothing you can do to change an addicts mind if they don't want help. Hopefully he does and will go seek some addiction therapy.

How much Suboxone is he currently on? A lower dose would reduce some of the symptoms you are talking about. Has he ever tried to go lower?

I hope you find some help for yourself.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:44 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you! No we have never talked about tapering or weaning off the suboxone. I don't think he would consider that an option. Because he is able to function normally on a daily basis, he does not see it as a problem. However, to me it is substituting one drug for the other and not really dealing with the addiction itself or the behaviors associated with the addiction. I also heard suboxone is much more difficult to wean off of? I do plan to attend some meetings and have an appointment myself this weekend with an addiction counselor. I am in the process of separating from him and find myself overly concerned for his well-being... We have been in counseling for about 15 years but I am finally realizing that one must first admit there is a problem before one can deal with it..

Again, thank you so much I appreciate your wisdom