It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Here is my introduction story. I am going to lay out the facts and those facts aren't meant to generate negative opinions because I came on this board for information and not to argue with people. I say this because I saw someone's post about a successful rapid detox taper and at first everyone was challenging him for wanting to get off but anyway here goes.

I was on pain pills for a couple years and then switched to suboxone which did not work to well for me especially when trying to taper below a quarter of a pill. At that point I started going to the methadone clinic instead which worked waaaayy better than suboxone however after a couple years on that I decided it was time to get off. Now getting off methadone was very tricky and the clinics do not make it possible to taper off the way that it necessary. Every day i went to the clinic i began spitting out my doses because i was really on half the amount prescribed. I successfully tapered off methadone after 5 months or so of spreading my dose equally throughout the day and lowering by 2-3 % each day. Since it was liquid it was very accurate and since I was a member at the clinic for awhile i was able to acquire enough take homes to do this.

Well it turned out that half a year later I relapsed. The biggest factor that causes relapse is stress and I was exposed to more stressful events in the period of 1 month than i had ever been before so much so that I rather not go into those details. Even though i relapsed I tried getting myself off cold turkey a few times and by tapering with pills and I even went to Florida for 12 days to try and lower my tolerance and possibly cold turkey and I was so close. I made it 4 days without taking anything but then got a really bad and that was my excuse for just 1 pill. After going 2 days with nothing it turned into 1 more. And the cravings came back. (In Florida my cravings dissappeared even though i tapered off with pills)

Now if i went back to the methadone clinic i would have to start all over with zero take homes and put up with the clinic's bullshit plus have to drive an hour everyday to get there. Methadone is rare on the street so I was forced to get suboxone which i said don't work well for me at all but it's better than being in withdrawal or having cravings. Now a new ray of hope lit up when i read about the "liquid taper method" and I am shocked at myself for not having thought of it. So here is where I am at now. I am on day 3 of suboxone after coming off 80-160 mg of oxycodone a day. I feel like crap and i have no clue what my suboxone dose should be at but in another day that will be irrelevant because the withdrawal from the pills will be past it's peak and theoretically a small amount of sub should work. To be safe though I started at a little more than 2 mg and once I am stable I plan to bring it down to exactly 2. I feel like crap and it's hard to tell whether it is the suboxone or the withdrawal. When i say "a little more than 2" it's bc i took a tiny bit extra here and there when feeling like crap but it didn't necessarily make me feel better so I don't know. Most of the cravings are gone and I have energy but I keep going through weird phases of not being able to focus and then feel like crap. From past experience I know it is impossible for me to feel normal on suboxone. The lower I get my dose the more normal I'll feel. So today is the start of taking exactly 2 mg hopefully and we'll see how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

taking 2nd dose of the day...I split my dose up into every 4 hours so that it is as spread out as possible and also so there is less liquid that has to dissolve under my tongue...exercise really does help even if it is a short walk but I got to get back to the gym and hopefully that will improve things

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:14 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

sorry to hear what you're going through frank. I only took pain meds for 9 months straight but during those last 2 monthsI was up to 200 milligrams of oxy a day. when I started on my subs after oxy wd's....i only took 2 milligrams of subs and it worked perfect. my doctor said take to milligrams twice a daysince it was working. well after about 10 days of being on subs I started feeling withdrawals again... Crushing depression skin crawling, anxiety, and cold ankles and feet. I was blown away I did not understand. I raise my dosage by 4 milligrams so I was doing 4mg in the morning and 4 at night... It worked for 3 days and then the wds started again. My doctor said we all different and my receptors were not staying saturated. I would take my evening dose and wake up in withdrawals. even when I took my morning doseit would take 3 or 4 hours to be effective. The depression was killing me as well as there anxiety from wondering why things were not going right for me on the subs. My doc and I finally upped it to 8ng in the morning and 4mg at night... Now I have been feeling AWESOME! For the past 6 days I have had zero issues!
the biggest problem had at first was mental...I did not want to be on a big dosage so I fought it...i think most newbies from what I've read do the same and it ends up delaying the road to healing.
Best of luck to you my friend. Please keep updating so we can see how you are doing!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have previous experience with suboxone, a couple years ago i was prescribed it for 6 months...the only reason I am even on it now is b/c of discovering there is a way to taper off by liquifying it....i found what my main problem was though, somehow i miscalculated and instead of starting on 2mg i started on 1.6mg!!! so a couple days ago i upped it to 2.5mg to by safe but now on day 3 I kept waking up with my hand going numb which has always been a sign off taking too much of an opiate...it's not like i was laying on it or anything and my leg was going numb too. So I am cutting down from 2.52 mg to 2.34 mg today. Also that feeling of "emotinal numbness" is starting to appear as well as irritability. So regardless of any other symptoms I know that all of those are signs of my dose being too high at this point. But then again goin from 1.6 to 2.5 is almost doubling it, i should've figured but was sick of feeling like crap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

frankp1983 wrote:
I have previous experience with suboxone, a couple years ago i was prescribed it for 6 months...the only reason I am even on it now is b/c of discovering there is a way to taper off by liquifying it....i found what my main problem was though, somehow i miscalculated and instead of starting on 2mg i started on 1.6mg!!! so a couple days ago i upped it to 2.5mg to by safe but now on day 3 I kept waking up with my hand going numb which has always been a sign off taking too much of an opiate...it's not like i was laying on it or anything and my leg was going numb too. So I am cutting down from 2.52 mg to 2.34 mg today. Also that feeling of "emotinal numbness" is starting to appear as well as irritability. So regardless of any other symptoms I know that all of those are signs of my dose being too high at this point. But then again goin from 1.6 to 2.5 is almost doubling it, i should've figured but was sick of feeling like crap.

Wow! I have to say that the hand tingling thing has driven me absolutely crazy. It started after I started Sub and I went through a number of scary tests before being prescribed Carpal Tunnel braces, even though my nerve conduction test was normal. The braces did no good. My Sub docs have said this has nothing whatsoever to do with Sub, BUT guess what? At this low dose, I don't have this symptom anymore. Pretty coincidental, so it's interesting to me that you've had the same thing. It scared me so much, because my legs did it too now and then, which made my neurologist think I had MS, which it turns out I don't. I kept thinking I was sleeping on my hand, but how can you sleep on both your hands AND your leg all at the same time? I wonder if Sub does cause it, and if so, how? I've experienced the emotional numbness too, but I did not believe it was Sub because I was told it could not be Sub. It's pretty impressive how in tune you are with yourself and how sure you are about what symptoms are a result of Sub. I did not have that confidence in myself.

Good luck with your taper. I hope you feel significantly better soon. It sounds like you are on the right track and the fact that you aren't taking a large dose will help you out so much in the end.

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

so far every methadone and sub doctor i have ever been to had no clue what they were talking about about so I wouldn't put too much faith in doctors...i remember printing up a paper showing a graph that compared the strength of subs compared to other opiates (a sub is like 2 oxy 80's) to show my doctor and he got angry and tried dismissing it.....the fact that his response was emotional was rather illogical...to me it meant he just wanted me on the sub (i was on methadone at the time and tryin to jump at 6mg but it was too much) ...it's hard to be in tune with yourself and ignore your symptoms at the same time so rather than ignore your symptoms you should make a list of things that you can combat them with.....exercise, a good tv show, messaging on these forums, socializing....all of those could be a solution to a different symptom...and sleep is overrated...did you know that a treatment for depression is to stay awake? and the funny thing about sleep is that the better shape and more active you are the less you need but it does vary per person

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

btw lowered dose today by 7% from 2.52 mg to 2.34...too early to tell what the decrease did

4/29- 2.52
4/30- 2.52
5/1- 2.52
5/2- 2.34