It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I thought I'd share something way cool and what I find to be totally amazing to watch. Here's a link to a live streaming video of a bald eagle nest. They have 3 baby eaglets. It's a very active nest and the parents come and go bringing food to feed the babies quite often. It's way cool to watch.

Enjoy! http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It may be the same ones that I watched last year on Ustream...Eagles mate for life, and this mom+dad had 3 babies last year...I think it was Idaho..Ohio...anyway it was north-central USA on a farm.

It was neat to watch them grow along the way..

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've been having a ball with this. It probably is the same one you watched before - this one is in Iowa.

I've also been watching new hatchlings from Red-Tailed Hawks, Great Blue Herons (they are cute!), and waiting on a Falcon's 3 eggs to hatch. It's just amazing to watch them up close and some of these camera angles and shots are just superior!

Here's the red-tailed hawk's nest: http://www.livestream.com/newchannel/po ... rnellhawks

The mama (ID tag on right claw) is Big Red and the daddy (ID on left claw) is Ezra. They have three very fuzzy white, cute little hatchlings. But damn, in comparison to the bald eagles, they keep one messy nest. They leave their nasty ass carcasses from their previous meals laying all over the damn place. YUCK.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I clicked on the link and watched the eagles for about 20 seconds, then I got bored. Maybe if those birds learned how to sing and dance or play a musical instrument they'd be more entertaining?? OR, they could duct tape that camera to the big birds head and we could fly along with him, that would be so sweet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You must not have seen them carrying a live fish to the babies and ripping it's head off while it's still alive and flopping around, cuz that probably wouldn't have bored you. Those fuckers just rip those fish heads off, but it takes a while for them to die. The cycle of nature, I know, but kinda icky to watch. I still find it fascinating. I just keep the tab open and pop back over to it every so often, waiting to catch something interesting. (It's not like I sit there staring at it all day. I do have more of a life than that, although not much!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

OHHHHH, I get it now. I thought you sat there for hours on end watching those birds and I was starting to think you were a little weird or something.

So, they rip a fish apart, eh. I still think it'd be cool if they learned how to play the banjo or something. Aaaah, the banjo may be a bit big for them, maybe a ukulele would fit into their feathery little arms a little bit better.

HEY, where'd they get the fish from?? Eagles can fish too?? How long have they been able to that?? Gee Whiz, I need to get out of the house more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The circle of life makes me sad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwSKkKrUzUk[/youtube]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I thought of the Lion King when I said that too! That's my favorite cartoon of all time!!

I'm going to watch the video now. Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow hat" watching the eagle doing it's work by taking care of it's own is almost telling me how to
be com in live and not so fast and i would maybe get things more done. (something else)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good analogy johnboy. I checked em out last night, but they were just sitting there doing nothing. I forgot about them until you posted here again. I'm going to try to watch them during the day tomorrow. Maybe there will be a little more excitement in their nest when it's light out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:26 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There's nothing much to see at night, but if you haven't checked out the red-tailed falcon's nest, you definitely should. Those babies are little white fuzzballs and the parents feed them pretty regularly. But be prepared to see a grossed-out nest. They leave their nasty-ass, half-eaten carcasses laying all over the nest. But those babies are fucking adorable. And the camera-person does some awesome close-ups of those babies.

Here's that link again: http://www.livestream.com/newchannel/po ... rnellhawks

I'm having way too much fun with this. Maybe I take everything else way too seriously and this is my new way to relax with nature from inside my own living room.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

i just say if humans could have the patients to build and feed like these simple birds we would have a much stronger nation :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

oh shit". i'm not really saying i want all us to go to the birds :lol: :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

ROFL - you crack me the hell up, johnboy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:11 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I know some of you are watching the eagles and keep catching them sleeping, but the hawks nest is at times more active. Have you seen those little white fuzzy hatchlings? ADORABLE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I lost my eagle nest or maybe they stop streaming.

Here's another link, to the great blue heron nest. It's VERY active and the babies are adorable.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/page.aspx?pid=2433

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I showed my bf these nests because he is really into birds and even has a bird book that identifies each one, and tells a bunch of facts about them. He sits in our backyard and watches them and flips through his book, getting excited when he discovers a new bird..lol!

I'm hoping to catch some action in one of these nests. I always seem to click the link when there is nothing exciting going on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I haven't watched the eaglets in a while...They are getting SO big. So are the baby Great Blue Herons and the Red Tailed Hawks (they are finally getting their color). That's why they are boring now, they're getting older. They're feeding themselves most of the time now and might even be learning to fly soon? I'm honestly not sure. It was fun while it lasted. I'll have to start looking for some other live nests. With all the shit going on in my life right now, it's sort of a calming activity for me.