It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey Everyone :)

New to the forum, been around the block on different forums and thought I'd come here to share.

Well, today marks the end of day 31 off Suboxone. Little background maybe would help out, right?

Let's see, I'm your typical 21 year old guy. Probably popped my first pain killer around the 16-17 age range. It was a match made in heaven in my eyes anyways. Was hooked and was doing whatever was around after becoming addicted. I probably abused opiates for a good 8-15 months roughly. Was quite a while ago so I don't really remember. After this went on I finally got in trouble with my employer at the time and new I had a problem. Went to seek help at a Suboxone doctor and did great with it for a little over a year. Started up college, working part-time at a new place, had a good group of friends life was good. At the end of the year and half my Doc kicked me to the curb with the Subs. Was in it for the money, I was oblivious at the time but I see it more and more now. I tried to taper during that time and got down to probably .5mg at my best. After I stopped going to the Doc I couldn't confess to my parents that I still needed it. Bought it off the streets for a little over a year and it finally ended January 1st 2011, New Year's Eve. Came home from a New Year's Even party, drunk, slid on ice and totaled my car into a snow bank. Arrested for DUI and possession charge, that being my Suboxone I had in the car. I characterize this day as the first day of the rest of my life. I went cold turkey at 4mg and had quite a rough 2 weeks of the subs. I obviously never wanted to jump this high but had no choice. I was so ready to be done with this stuff and knew that it was time. I've had the support from counseling, family, friends, neighbors. Ever since, the last couple of days have really improved. I'm starting to feel really good about things and ready to move on with my life. I'm a good person, and so isn't everyone else out there. We just have a few skeletons in our closet that need to be cleaned out, that's all.

Well, if anyone on here has questions about my journey shoot them at me. I'm here to help out and also get some insight from other people. I know I still have a long road ahead of me. Still have to deal with a long driver's license suspension and another court date but these are all things that will help me understand the greatness of sobriety! :) Keep in touch everyone.

Sorry if I rambled, didn't mean to bore anyone lol.

Your Friend,
-Jboss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well Jboss, thanks for introducing yourself and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on getting off suboxone. That's not all that easy. If you don't mind me asking, how do you feel? It's been a month. Some people still don't feel quite right when they jump from that high of a dose. How are you doing?

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Cherie

Hmm, it's a question I ask myself a lot throughout the day. I'm not quite sure if I can put my finger directly on it. Do I feel good, yeah definitely! Do I feel great, no of course not. I can tell you that I laugh a lot throughout my day I enjoy a lot of things I use too. Playing my beloved guitar, talking to my parents, listening to music, watching a good movie. I still have a slight bit of anxiety, for some reason everything revolves around the clock. I have no idea why. I am never in a time crunch, who knows. I think it's just part of the anxiety. My pops said it perfectly, he said it all revolves around the time now. He said that I'm looking forward to the future and wanting for the time to go by so I can finally feel good. I thought about it and he's so right. It's exactly what it is, which is anxiety lol. Sleep is getting increasingly better. I don't sleep 8 hours straight by any means. It's usually like 3-4 hours straight then up for a few minutes back to sleep for 2 hours the I typically will sleep on and off till 7:30-8.

But, I do feel better then what I went through during the first three weeks. They were quite hell. The suboxone withdrawal is definitely milder then when I tried to get off Tramadol many years ago. That was just straight up intense. This is much more drawn out but shit I made it this far. Like I heard in one of my group meetings a couple of weeks ago, "You CAN look back, just for a slight glimpse, but then turn around and keep on trucking" Thanks for asking how I'm feeling. This is quite therapeutic for me! Keep in touch!

-Jboss

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Welcome JBoss
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well, that is what I call taking lemons and making lemonade. Kudos to you. It was so hard to taper from 3 to 2, so the idea of being pushed off at 4 gives me chills (literally).

Your attitude is fantastic and I certainly hope you do stay around here. You're can vent or celebrate or whatever you need. And it helps people like me a whole lot to hear from someone like you who is on the "other side" or at least well on your way. You ARE a good person. You came on here to 'help out'. Whatever you've been through and done in the past is over and you came through it. Now you have all that experience to pass on to other people and you may be able to save others from a lot of headache just by relaying your story. I bet your family is incredibly proud of you...and relieved. Thank God you only got a DUI and possession from crashing into a snow bank.

laddertipper

Post subject: Just curious
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Jboss,

My name is Queenie. How interesting your post is. I don't usually see people o here that join the forum to help. They usually need help.

If I may ask, how did you manage the pain after the car accident?

I would also like to know if you could describe excatly what youi felt when you were in withdrawal from Subs.

Thank you so much for offering your help. Like Laddertipper said, we need to hear from people on the other side.

I am on Subs for addiction to painkillers but also for chronic pain management. I am 68 years old and I am an amputee. Although it may seem that I will be on Subs forever or a long time, I'm still curious about wd's because that's one of my worst nightmares.

Take care & please stay with us. You sound like you have lot to share and a lot to offer.

Queenie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well laddertipper thank you very much for such kind words. Yeah, it was a great big relief to my family. They understood, which was key. I put them through this once prior to going onto Suboxone, so I think they knew how to handle it again. Laddertipper, how are you doing your tapering? I'm not sure if you are aware, but there is an incredible tapering schedule from one of the highly recommended guys another forum. He has helped probably hundreds of people taper correctly and smoothly off of Suboxone. Just a thought for you. I'm sure you got this one under your belt. How long have you been on the subs and how is your tapering going? I remember when I was taking them as prescribed I successfully tapered but remember it being a challenge. I know it typically takes 3-4 days for you body to become adjusted. Well keep posting back, let me know. Like I said, I'm here to help anyone I can out. I'm trying to pay it forward in any way possible.

Queenie, thank you as well for posting and being curious. Luckily, and I pray every night that I didn't injure myself or anyone during this incident. It was very late at night and luckily on a mildly quiet street. I had some tingling sensation, if you will, down my forearm and into my hand. It went away in about a week, no pain just a weird feeling. I actually have a "withdrawal diary" on another forum. Although, I try to tell people on that forum that read it that it's not meant to scare anyone! It's there as a tool and an inspiration/motivation for those currently or soon to be off Suboxone. Like I said, I jumped at 4mg which is a high dose to cold turkey. So therefore, I ended up paying the consequences of a harder withdrawal, in my opinion. I'd say the first days 1-2 aren't bad, yet. It's basically the calm before the storm. Then I'd say days 4-10 were the worst in terms of symptoms. Such as, restless legs, anxiety, no motivation, no energy, very quiet, sensitive, emotional, depressed, no appetite, NO SLEEP. I'd say week 3 and 4 were difficult in terms of anxiety/depression/energy. I just felt very empty during these weeks. I felt as though something was "missing" up in my brain. I would say by the end of week 4 and now into week 5 is where I really turned around. My mood has gone way up energy levels are way up. I still deal with anxiety from time to time especially when I'm trying to relax. The last thing that comes back is probably sleep. I mean I sleep 7-9 hours a night now, but then again I'm not sure if being a 21 year old is helping that out. It's not a straight through sleep by any means. Typically 3-4 hours here, then 2-3 hours there then toss and turn. The first week plan on an 1-4 hours of sleep. It will progressively get better from there. Physically, I've been through a withdrawal once so I sorta off knew what to expect and I read a ton of stuff online in the past. You have to understand that everyone is different. Everyones withdrawal is unique to that individual. Sure everyone gets a lot of the same symptoms but they come and go differently. It depends on a lot. Your age, how long you used/prescribed a medication, your age, if your active, how well you eat. There are many things you can do to help you during a withdrawal. I can give that information to you too if you'd like. Sorry I wrote a lot. Like I said, none of this information is meant to scare you away from getting off Suboxone. It can be done quite easily if/when you are ready. In your case it's a little different, but the time will come. Keep me posted.

Your Friend,
-Jboss

Post subject: Hey Everone
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:02 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey Everyone!

Just thought I'd pop my head in and say hi and let people know how I'm doing. I'm rounding out Day 45! So how am I doing? Well, I'd say I feel pretty good lately. No depression, no lethargy which is good! I still have about an ounce of anxiety and sleep is still improving. My big hurdle now is dealing with court next Tuesday. I know what I'm looking at but it's just the thought of it all. Makes my mind race a bit and adds to my anxiety. I'd say another thing I've been bothered with is isolation. It's the first time in my life where I haven't been in school/college. It wasn't weird at first but I am finally missing that much needed void in my life. I just liked the whole commute, seeing the same friends each day, keeping busy with school work. May sound strange to people but it was my pride. I was proud of going and being involved. I start back up in the Fall so it's not like I'm not returning, it's just the wait. I was still in withdrawals when school started back up January 20th so I did what was best for me. It would have been too much, school, trying to work, IOP, DUI classes. I did not want all of this on my plate and it stress me out.

m trying to get back in the motion of life again. 6 weeks of some intense isolation can get the best of you. I have a lot of good influential friends in my life and hope to get back to them, soon! Before all of this I was so busy, and thrived on it! Once I decided it was time to put this in the grave it was like hitting a brick wall. It's hard to get out on the weekends (now that I'm feeling decent) because the trust has diminished with my parents. It's there but not to the magnitude I feel good/comfortable with. It will come, I have to prove to them and myself that things are going to be O.K. Thanks for listening and supporting :) Means everything to me!

-Jboss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Dang it, how did I miss this thread? Day 45 off of Suboxone, congratulations!!

I understand exactly what you're talking about when you say how you liked going to school, the commute, seeing your friends. My college days were some of the best days of my life. I enjoyed the school work thoroughly, loved hangin' with my friends and my commute was about 45 minutes so I would listen to the best Rock N Roll songs all the way to school and all the way home!!

Man, you sound like you're really doing well.

BTW, I love the support you give our other members, especially BigMistake (I think that's his screen name?)

Anyway, keep it up!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:01 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

This is my first post on this forum. I have been tapering myself and I am down to 4 from 16. I started suboxone last October and this medication has given my life back. I spent 10+ years abusing pain meds and got to the point of taking 300 mg of oxys a day just to half ass function. the 8 to4 taper took a little bit of will power but is was not too uncomfortable. But now I am going to be tapering again in March and i am worried about starting to feel withdrawl symptoms again. I have not had any withdrawl or cravings since i started taking the subs. I am curious as to how bad the cold turkey will be. Will I be able to function and go to work immediatley or will it take some time to get thru the initial shock of no meds?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:01 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

@MrCorey

Well first off, welcome buddy! This place is a great start into finding out information about Suboxone. Congratulations on the jump from 16mg to 4mg. That's a great leap down. I do not want to come off upfront, but, it will get a little trickier now you're getting lower and lower. I would recommend tapering. Once you get below the 1mg mark that's where things can get a little edgy. In my own experience, it took about 4-7 days to feel good when I reduced from 1mg to .5mg. Just to give you something to go off of. It's typically not to bad to taper from the higher doses. It's just once you get lower.

Honestly, at 4mg, withdrawals will be harsh and LONG. Are they tolerable? Yeah, but it sucks for a good three weeks. I jumped in the middle of 4-5mg and it took me about 30 days to feel good. There have been quite a few people who have gone to work during withdrawals, off Suboxone. I have no idea how they did it but nonetheless they did it. I took two weeks off of work and even by the third week I was still very lethargic, no energy, very somber, depressed, achy. This lifted by weeks 4-5 and was feeling good. This is MY OWN EXPERIENCE. Please, and I beg, don't get nervous over this and don't allow the tapering to consume your daily thoughts. I know the anxiety and the feeling of not knowing can get the best of us but don't let it. I'm telling you, if you do a correct taper and allow your mind/body to stabilize then it will be easy flying for you.

I would reduce by 25 percent until you get down to the 1mg mark. Allow yourself to feel good again before starting to reduce again. Typically, it takes the body 3-5 days to get back on keel. Once you get below the 1mg you may want to decrease the percentage to say 10-15 percent and see how you feel. This is where you may want to give yourself a little longer than the 3-5 days to only if you don't feel good. Don't what you feel is right only you know your body. Just keep on doing what your doing! You are doing fantastic! Let me know if you have any questions/comments/thoughts for me/us. I'm here for you and will answer anything and everything I can. I wish you the best and keep in contact.

-JBoss