It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:44 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I also wanted to post that Subutex is the most misused and sought after drug in Europe on the street right now. The new Heroin. I don't know. But when I saw a special on HBO about it, it made me very sad. I want everyone to have a level and productive life. Sometimes I just question the reason that people are put on certain meds. We should question it. It is our right. Ibuprofen works JUST fine for a tooth ache. I know because I had dental work done and was unable to take an opiate being on Suboxone. These drugs are horrible and most of us find them through MD.'s. And for most that is just the beginning of their opiate use. Never did H, but I know it is cheaper and easier to find if you are hurting. Which causes me to question some scripts. I can understand if you are in chronic pain like my mother. But that pain took her life. She no longer socialized. She was very depressed. Her life was smoking cigarettes and watching TV in her little cottage. What kind of a life was that? I KNOW she had REBOUND pain from all of the meds from the Pain Management Clinic. At one point, she was down to 20mgs, had a job and she was doing great. She was driving the Company Van and someone rear ended her. She had to give a UI. She lost her job that day. Because she was driving under the influence of a low dose of Methadone. I knew then that my mother would never be the same. I knew in my heart that I would lose her very soon to prescription drugs. I am rambling here. I just have so many regrets with my mother. It feels good to write it down. I usually don't get on forums. I tend to rub people the wrong way. In fact, this is the first Sub forum I have ever been on. Was on a few Band forums for awhile. OK. I will go for now. Thank you to everyone that is supporting me right now. It means a lot. REALLY.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

People are given opiates for pain because you can't measure the amount of pain an individual has. Who is one person to say to another that their pain isn't severe enough to have anything more than ibuprofin? You could pull one persons teeth and they would be fine with ibuprofin and another would be in the fetal position. That is why the bottle usually says "as NEEDED" for pain. You aren't really "put on" the meds. You are offered them and have the right to decline, not fill the script, take sparingly, let them expire in your cupboard, whatever. MOST people can take pain meds and not get addicted. So should the rest of society suffer because some of us can't take them?

Cherie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The most commonly used/abused/misused/sought-after drug in Europe (and the rest of the world) is:

[marq=left]CANNABIS[/marq]

that's right. NOT SUBUTEX. CANNABIS. Also known as weed.

Sugarcain, please get your facts straight before you go spouting off. This is an official warning. I have tried to give you the benefit of the doubt because I thought your experience with the rapid detox was important to share, but the Sub bashing has got to stop. Here and in the other thread.

FYI, it is ok for you to make "I" statements about your experience with Suboxone. It is not ok for you to make generalized statements like: Suboxone docotrs lie to get us addicted to this drug. I am not saying you said that. I am just giving you an example. Another example would be your unsupported and incorrect statements in this post about Subutex.

-Jack Kornfield

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

sugarcain wrote:
I also wanted to post that Subutex is the most misused and sought after drug in Europe on the street right now. The new Heroin.

So, um, what's your point? If I didn't know any better I'd think you trying to imply that anyone who is taking Suboxone is therefor abusing drugs :roll: But based on your history here that can't be true, right? :roll:

Please take your holier than thou attitude about the medication that is saving my life and keep it with you over in that anti-sub echo chamber you are posting on......mmmmkthy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:14 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I know losing your mom to pain pills must have been hell. I know because I lost my mom 5 years ago to them. She was only 47 and I was only 30. Waaay too young in life to lose my mom. Way too young for her to leave me. Thing is, I wish to God I had known about subs. You can bet I would have dragged her to the doctors to get put on them. It probably would have saved her life. Back then I was against these pills and anyone on them was a "druggie" in my opinion. As far as I was concerned, they had killed my mom. Fast forward to present day. I am now battling an opiate addiction. I was put on oxys a year ago and thought I'd never get addicted. How wrong I was. I got VERY addicted and now snort upwards of 5 or 6 20's a day. All in one year. These pills can be the fucking devil and after two real attempts at ct and attempts at tapering, I started to think that I, like mom, was gonna end up in an early grave. For the first time I really "got" what she endured being hooked on opiates. Its like being trapped with no way out. Until I discovered suboxone. I am due to be inducted May 11 and I know in my heart this will save my life. My mom did opiates in extremes, so do I. There are days I'm not sure if I'm going to wake up when I go to sleep. The party's over, I'm facing death if I keep going. So say what you will about subs but they have saved lives, I wish they could have saved my moms life but I strongly believe they'll help to save mine. I suggest you get into some sort of aftercare to deal with the hurt of losing your mom and deal with your misguided anger. That being said, my heart does go out to you. I know what its like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good luck with your induction, free_bird, and welcome to the rest of your life. You will be amazed at what this drug can do for you. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that it saved my life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:42 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

free-bird, I am so sorry about your mother. As a mother myself I can tell you there is no better way to honor her memory than to find recovery. I know she would be proud of you. Good luck.

*Christopher Robin to Pooh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:26 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I can't wait to start living again! Reading peoples stories of how they have had so much success with subs gives me a lot of hope, something I really need these days. Getting out of active addiction and starting some kind of aftercare is what I want to do so badly and suboxone will help me do that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:55 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

*Sugercane* First things first I have to say that I absolutely Loveeeee your avatar, I loveeeee *Nightmare before Christmas* but thats neither here nor there, but what i wanted to say was, please dont stop posting on our forum, we truly want to hear what you have to say, and so whst if we dont just absolutely loveee everything that your gonna write every single time you write it, were a family and were not going to turn on you, we may goose you a bit but were not going to judge you and you should feel that this is a safe place to write your feelings. Secondly I am so sorry about your mother, I had something similar happen to me with a loved one who died of liver CA and was terribly over medicated and died in my house not from the cancer but from a lethal OD. But no one should have to go through what you went through. If you dont feel like you want to share certain things with the entire forum or fear that something you want to say will get judged please IM me and i promise I am a very open minded person with a very sarcastic dry seterical sense of humor and it takes awhole lot to shock or appal me lol and chances are i will understand and may even be able to give you some advice or point you in the direction of another non judgmental very knowledgable poster such as Hatmaker who has helped me out tons since day one on this forum. Just keep writting to us were here for you!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:35 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

No doubt the documentary was about the significant amount of abuse of buprenorphine, but it isn't even close to the most misused drug in Europe. For one thing, it has a relatively low ceiling of effect, so most hard-core opioid users would find it unable to fill the need. And if anyone gets "hooked" on bupe, what is wrong with that? It's a lot safer than other opioids, and may just cause the person to stop getting illegal drugs and go to a Sub doctor and find real recovery.

Any drug can be misused and the need for drugs of abuse wax and wane over time. It's not news that some people, mainly people without a tolerance to opioids, feel the need to take buprenorphine to get high. Also, comparing the US to Europe is like comparing apples with oranges. We have much higher standards required of Sub prescribers....every single patient and dosage is monitored by the DEA and all of it's draconian ways. If you go to www.dea.gov, you'll see that the DEA is finding a significant amount of Suboxone/Subutex on the streets. However, the DEA knew of the situation in France where sub is often misused intraveinously, and decided to support it's legalization anyway. Practically all of the involved government departments agree that Suboxone is a very important tool to use to combat the monsterous problem of painkiller and heroin addiction in this country.

By all means, take your Sub and enjoy the freedom and control that it gives you. Very sorry about your mother, I still have mine and I cannot at all know how bad your loss is - but I can imagine it's quite bad for you. I agree with you, that painkillers have a variety of nasty side-effects like depression, and it's never pretty to watch a terminal patient come to depend on them so much. However, when someone is in real pain there is really no other pain control medication that works as well as opioids. Our brains are "wired" to use opioids to control pain. Also, there is a significant and disturbing problem in this country where terminal patients are denied appropriate pain relief due to unfounded fears that such a person will become "addicted". This is ridiculous, and is coming from the persecution of legitimate pain doctors by the DEA.

Post subject: One more thing
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:47 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

8) Sugarcain: I also agree that pain meds are often prescribed when something else would be better. For example, many preventive measures like excercise, weigtloss, and diet can cut systemic arthritis pain by more than many people would like to admit. Of course some people will need major painkillers. But as an example, my grandmother is a healthy 78 y/o without any pain issues. However, every time she goes to the doctor for a cold, or flu shot or whatever, the doc writes her a script for 10 mg oxycodone pills!! Luckily she knows how insane this is and just rips up and flushes the script when she gets home. I had a relatively small cut caused at work a few years ago, and the PatientFirst clinic doc gave me a script for oxys too! Of course, I used them with pleasure. Unbelievably I went back in three weeks for a follow up and the same doc gave me the same script again. To me, these are the people creating the painkiller addiction problem in this country. I think Suboxone offers an attractive recovery option which active painkiller users can transfer to rather painlessly. I think it will prevent many overdoses. And I know it works, because last week I drank a bottle of codeine cough syrup (first slip in 18 months) and I didn't even feel it b/c of being on Sub.

James :P