It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: to little to help?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:01 am 
New Poster
New Poster

ok, I've been on Suboxone 8mg/2mg since last Friday. 7 years ago, It all started with a car accident, taking 3 tylenol 3's a day for pain from a car accident, damage to my back, broken jaw, collar bone, metal holding my hip and femur together, now here I am 7 years later, I've gone from tylenol 3s, to 2 different strengths of Vicodin, to Norco, then Oxycontin 5, to 7, to 10s. Sometimes a 30mg if the pain is extreme. But It got to the point where I was taking 5 Oxycontin a day and I would run out in a little over two weeks. I'm in my 40's with 6 great kids, I am educated with a 4 year degree and I so want to get off the pain killers, they don't help any more, but my body tells me I need them, I don't even have to look at the clock my body will tell me "hey Brain you NEED more" It's a really scary feeling. I feel trapped to a drug, I've have gotten worse and worse about running out before my next fill 150 Oxycontin in a little over 2 weeks, that's almost 10-10mg Oxycontin in one day. I'm so screwed. Well to the point, I'm trying Suboxone film. The medicine is amazing and my cravings on the very first dose stopped within about 90 minutes after letting the film melt under my tongue. Well getting to my question, will I now become addicted to the Suboxone strips? This now terrifies me, I only take a quarter of the strip a day, not even a whole one, just enough that I can handle the cravings. Am I hurting myself by not taking the full dosage as prescribed or is it ok to just take enough that I deal throughout the day. I don't want to go from one problem to another. Anyone else having such an issue? I'm really torn about all of this. Thanks to all that respond.

Post subject: Re: to little to help?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Fixmylife,

I'm going to get straight to your questions.. "Will I now become addicted to suboxone?" Suboxone is a synthetic opioid, so you will become dependent on it. What I mean by this is that you'll need to take your daily dose to avoid withdrawals. I would not classify this the same as addiction, though, if you use your medication as it's intended. If you take the right dose (for you), once a day and proper route of administration, you should find yourself getting out of those addiction habits and the lifestyle in general. Ideally, you should not be obsessing over your next dose, and should begin to focus on all the other aspects of your life that probably got ignored when you were chasing pills. It's a much different lifestyle, for a lot of us anyway.

About your dosing. I (personally) think 2.5mgs sounds about right for you. Suboxone is much stronger than a lot of doctors even realize and often they prescribe a one size fits all dose. While your pill habit had climbed a bit, it's still fairly low in the scheme of things and therefor, your tolerance probably isn't too high. I'm guessing you'd be sick if you took the whole 8mgs. If I were you, I'd stick to whatever dose kept the cravings away and kept you "well" for 24 hours.

Good luck, I'm sure others will chime in. Welcome!

Post subject: Re: to little to help?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Fixmylife

I am also new to suboxone. Because i am new i don't post much but your story is similar to mine. I started pain meds because of serious pain & the first two or so times i didn't take any i had the "flu". I didn't connect the lack of pills to the "flu" until took a pill while having the "flu" because of my awful back pain & it went away. I knew i was addicted. I was petrified to stop..i had a FT job, children to take care of. The bottom line is i stayed on pain meds & at the end i was on 80 mg oxycontin (3 a day) & 30's (3-6 a day) for breakthrough pain. My addiction lasted for 6 years until i had enough. I am also educated , in my early 50's & in a field where i don't want anyone to know about my past drug use or the present.

Now to your question-Yes we will become dependent on it but when we are ready I think the taper will be easier & the adjustment to life without opiates will be easier since we are able to feel more adjusted to life (at least i do). as far as i am concerned the suboxone is giving me a chance to get my life back. So many people have said how much better i look & i am much calmer, just alot of the old me showing up again lol.

This is based on my limited experience since i have only been on sub one month.