It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: little bit worried....
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:01 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello... Just started suboxone about 1 hour ago.. i am a little worried about the way i feel, im not sick, so thats good i guess, i must have had just enough wd to be ok on that issue.. but im afraid i may have taken too much, im prescribed 2 8mg strips per day, pharmacist said to take them 12 hours apart, but idk.. but anyway, i took 1/2 a strip, then decided to just follow doctors orders and take the other half immediatly.. but right now im having a very strong "head rush" for lack of other terms.. ive heard you cant od, but im worried.. i was taking about 1 1/2 to 2 10m hydrocodone then a half of one every 2 hours or so for about 6 months.. but man,.... didnt expect this... am i gonna be ok?.. how long am i gonna feel this way?

thanks in advance..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi,

First off, don't panic, it'll wear off.. I am not a doctor but based on everything I know about suboxone and everything I've ever heard from other people on suboxone, you probably have been prescribed too high of a dose. It is quite possible that following those directions will leave you feeling dizzy, sluggish and/ or with headaches. It's best to let your doctor know what is happening but if I were to make a suggestion I would tell you to hold off on taking your nightly 8mg dose. At least see how you feel later on. Your icky feeling could linger if it is caused by too high of a dose because of the long half life, but if it goes away and you are feeling ok in terms of withdrawal, you still might want to hold off on a nightly dose. 8mg is a strong dose for the evening (or even just for an afternoon dose.)

Again, you should talk to your doctor but it is quite possible that you could be comfortable on just one 8mg strip split per 24 hours (or at least less than 16mg.

Hang in there!

Last edited by tinydancer on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

i feel like i took 100mg of oxycontin or something.. should i seek assistance?.. will it taper away soon?..

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Can you call your doctor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thanks for your response.. i guess i typed my reply while you were answering.. i'll give it a bit and just try to relax..
but yea, i think 8mg is a bit high i think i might just take the strip in quarters tomorrow.. and as few as possible..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey, no worries! If you are feeling that off, you should reach out to someone just to be safe. Even if it's just having someone around you. I'm guessing, though, that it's the the brief but awkward phase that happens when you take too much. I'm not sure what your doctor was thinking to be honest but he's the professional..

Are you feeling sleepy or wired?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was feeling pretty decent, i guess wired for the first little bit, but it just got more and more intense.. i dont really feel sleepy though, i dont think i would dare lay down and close my eyes anyway, id probably get pretty sick if i did..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Feeling wired (or nervous, or dizzy) is a classic response to taking a bit more sub than is needed. So is nodding off or sleepiness but I'm relieved to know this isn't the case in your situation. I feel it's a bit safer to feel wired than sleepy. Keep checking in and try to relax a little if you decide to wait it out. Watch tv maybe.. but don't be afraid to seek help if you get worse or it doesn't lessen. Always better safe than sorry.

I'll keep an eye here if you like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

tyvm, id appreciate that, it seems to be going back and forth, really strong, then not too bad then pretty strong again..
im just trying not to think about it too much and keep my mind busy.. feeling a bit queasy and dizzy i guess.. definitely too much.. i think the reason the doc didnt tell me much is becuase my appt was yesterday and i had used yesterday so he had me come in today to get the script, i didnt get to speak to him really when i picked it up..

he kind of makes me wonder though, he appears that he could have retired long ago, I seen him for a few appt's for phsyc and he was absolutly sure about my diagnoses as soon as i walked in the door, wich was completely different than what its been for years.. i suppose he could be correct and be the best doctor ive had as far as i know, but time will tell i guess..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Checking in on you.. hope no news is good news.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:40 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thanks, i appreciate it, it did dissipate but i still feel pretty messed up... im kind of a hypochondriac so im still having to tell my self that im fine and not gonna sufficate. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:41 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Haha! Yes, I know precisely what you mean. I am one of those too which is why I feel the need to keep an eye on you. Just breathe and relax.. Happy to hear it is easing up, albeit very gradually. You may feel a bit opiate saturated for the next 24 hours or more but it should only get better in terms of symptoms. A lot of doctors really have no idea the actual strength of suboxone. It can be more powerful than some people's DOC. The good news is that you know this now and have a better idea of where to start your dosing level. Once you're on the right dose, it can work wonders.

Always start small, you can always add more but as you know, you can't subtract.

Off to bed, check in the AM!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

just wanted to say thanks again for your help tinydancer... i had no idea it was that strong.. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:03 pm 
Omg this guy is going to be complaing worse then i am in a few months. You are only only a little bit of hydrocodone? PLEASE USE SUB FOR 2 weeks at the MOST. Do not take that much. OMG this is a perfect example of indoctrination to slavery on this stuff. Sorry if this is outta line. But i am floored by this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I agree with you, i didnt know what it was really, but this was the only thing i was offered to help quit with out facing being sick with wd.. i honestly dont plan to be on it very long..

Post subject: In agreement
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:25 pm 

Hi ayagle,

First off, welcome here. Second, I agree you were given way too high of dose for what you were taking. You really can't blame the doctors for now because they went to a class to get a certification number to prescribe Suboxone. In that class they were told the normal dose was 8-16 mg's. I have to wonder if any of them questioned the RB rep about what and how much a patient was taking before giving a yes diagnosis to treat with Sub.

Do what Will said and wean off as soon as possible if you can. We see too many people that this happens to. Suboxone is only for hard core addicts who take a lot of opiates, have a high tolerance, and low expectations of recovery. IMO, you don't fit the criteria.

Welcome once more to our forum and hope you can succeed in getting off of it. We'll help as much as possible.

Rule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:53 am 
Thanks rule for actually backing me up on that. I thought some people on here would have told me to shut up and tell ayagle to stay on subs for awhile and recommend staying on a big dose like 8mg.

Believe it or not that actually helped dispell my idea that people here are ONLY pro sub and stay on it for as long as you want. In a situation like this. That would be a horrible outcome. Like drinking vodka instead of light beer. Ugh. Beware if that doc trys to tell you that you can keep coming back and taking more and more subs. For your current habit. Like 1mg would probably be all you need to keep the sick away while you work on kicking the hydros for good.

Jeez, i think dr's need to do alot more then just some online module for prescribing this stuff.

Post subject: In all honesty
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:23 am 

Will,

I don't really know all that much about the class doctors take so my comments may not be entirely true. What I have heard is that it is an 8 hour class and what happens there I cannot say. It was really my assumption about the 8-16 mg standard dose being taught there. The place I read that was in the pamphlet inside the Suboxone box of films. In there it states about the standard dose. The only one who would know is Dr. Junig so maybe he'll enlighten me one of these days. That, or I'll just ask him outright.

Please don't get the impression that the members here push Suboxone maintenance. Most of the posts I read are either new people seeking help or members trying to taper off. I try to stay in the middle ground here. One day I'd love to stop taking it only because it makes me sleepy and a bit foggy if I'm not busy fixing something. All those side effects others have like yourself don't happen to me. But it doesn't take a degree in medical science to know the OP was given Sub when he/she should have been encouraged to taper down from the hydro's. And even if they couldn't stop the addiction then just a small dose of 1-2 mg's would have been sufficient.

Just so you know, this forum is changing all the time. Yes, it is mainly a pro-Suboxone site just like it started out to be. But now that we've learned so much over the years how this drug affects people, our policy is changing too. We opened up the Freestyle section where members can discuss the pros and cons of Sub without moderation. (unless it gets out of hand or rules are broken) So you see, we as a group of addicts are growing right along with the information we learn. Yes, there are still some strong opinions about it but as long as posters are polite we will all learn more and more.

Rule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:45 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

ayagle wrote:
thanks, i appreciate it, it did dissipate but i still feel pretty messed up... im kind of a hypochondriac so im still having to tell my self that im fine and not gonna sufficate. lol

Next time that it happens or in the future if something like that occurs, try eating a bite of crackers or a piece of bread. If you get something on your stomach, that feeling might go away.
if I take my Suboxone on a empty stomach, sometimes I get a high feeling. Its not like if I took a handful of pain pills, but its still a small high. I also get this feeling if I take it when I am tired, but then again I would be on a empty stomach too. I took a dose after being off of it for two weeks (long story) and felt that the first dose didnt do anything, took another 4mg and within a hour I was floating. I had to have help getting to the bathroom. I didnt take anything the next day for fear of getting sick. My system finally leveled out and I was on 8mg a day and I am fine.
I find that if you can get a small bite of something or maybe something carbonated to settle a stomach, those light headed feelings might go away.
I hope that things are ok, I didnt read down through the entirety of posts.